Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Perpetual fear, stress and uncertainty; all permeating status anxiety; rudimentary (or non-existent) social, community & family ties; rootless & competitive social environment. Those are top 4 reasons for poor health and general misery of life in America. Poor nutrition just follows from the above top 4, since high fat/high sugar diets washed down with caffeinated drinks are mild antidepressants. Sure, stressed parents and marketing from cradle to grave contribute to the appalling tastes in food, but not as much as its soul-numbing qualities.
I have none of those either...... still sick.

Still happy too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I haven't read through this entire thread, so my point may have already been addressed.

I feel many people today simply do not know how to cook! I don't mean complicated, gourmet-type meals, just simple cooking. Many haven't the faintest idea how to boil and egg or fry or scramble one! A pot roast is one of life's bigger mysteries, usually obtained at a home-cooking type buffet.

Many also have no idea how to stock a kitchen. They have no idea how long foods last, how to store them, etc---bananas don't go in the fridge, once you open a loaf of bread you close it up again, don't store opened mayo in the pantry, etc, etc

In other words, many people lack the most basic of skills to shop, store, and prepare simple meals. So instead, they resort to fast food, or convenience stuff at home. I really feel they should bring back home ec in schools, for guys and girls!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread, so my point may have already been addressed.

I feel many people today simply do not know how to cook! I don't mean complicated, gourmet-type meals, just simple cooking. Many haven't the faintest idea how to boil and egg or fry or scramble one! A pot roast is one of life's bigger mysteries, usually obtained at a home-cooking type buffet.

Many also have no idea how to stock a kitchen. They have no idea how long foods last, how to store them, etc---bananas don't go in the fridge, once you open a loaf of bread you close it up again, don't store opened mayo in the pantry, etc, etc

In other words, many people lack the most basic of skills to shop, store, and prepare simple meals. So instead, they resort to fast food, or convenience stuff at home. I really feel they should bring back home ec in schools, for guys and girls!
Well said, being a person with a degree in Home Ec. I hate to see it not offered as a mandatory class for kids in Middle school if nothing else. I don't know how much this affects the overall cooking habits in adulthood, but certainly one class on basic cooking would help every child.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
On the other hand, don't overlook the fact that modern processing and transport makes it possible now for everyone in a modern country to have a varied diet in natural foods all year round. It wasn't that many years ago that people lived all winter and spring on whatever root vegetables lasted through the year. Salad was what you ate in July in August, and you get fruit in your Christmas stocking.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I wonder how many people make the connection to how they feel from day to day to what they are eating. Usually it is when things go awry that they seek attention.
I am reading a book that is mostly a soldiers letters to home from 1862. He is writing from a place called Corinth. He writes to his mother that he doesn't have "the deadly disease" yet. The author's foot note explain that this disease is chronic diarrhea and some soldiers even collecting pensions after the war are still suffering from this malady. "The evacuation from Corinth" as it was known is a well known illness written about in Civil War histories. This same soldier's previous letter home to his mother mentioned that they were eating raw pork, an extreme case indeed but a little historical perspective.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Diet is certainly connected to good health. What some people lose sight of though is what exactly is a good diet. I would submit that eating a variety of foods regularly is what is required. I run into too many people these days who believe that shopping at "Whole Foods" or eating what they believe are "totally organic" vegetables is required. People can believe what they want too. However, there is no scientific proof that eating this way is going to prevent cancer or extend your life.

Its fine to eat meat as long as you don't over do it. A good diet incorporates a wide range selection of meats, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and dairy products. One should avoid cuts of meat that have a great deal of fat. One should avoid dairy products that have a high level of fat as well. White bread doesn't need to be treated as "evil". However, it definitely needs to be balanced with things that are whole wheat and grains like cous cous.

Good health is really a function of these things:

1. Good diet.
2. Regular exercise. I mostly do a lot of walking and hiking, but its not uncommon for me to do 4 miles a day.
3. Drinking lots of water. Please don't get me started on the "bottled water" thing. Most of that is just a bunch of unnecessary, expensive hype and fear mongering.
4. Not smoking or taking unprescribed or unnecessary medications or drugs.
5. Eliminating unnecessary stress in your life. A word or two here: Life, is by its nature stressful. Our bodies are built to handle a good deal of stress. However, continued stress over a long period of time is not healthy. That's what we need to watch.
6. If your blood pressure is high control it. Diet may not be sufficient to do this. Some people are for genetic reasons prone to high blood pressure.
7. It may be unfair, but genetics plays an important role in determining how long we live. For example, Winston Churchill broke every rule in the book. He smoked. He drank to excess. He was overweight. As PM of Britain during WWII, he had the most stressful job imaginable. Yet, despite all this, he lived well into his 90's.
8. Be careful and don't take unnecessary risks. Accidents of all sorts claim many thousands of lives every year.
9. A happy marriage or relationship will extend your life. Its why life insurance companies give better rates to married men than to single men.
10. Take care of your teeth. Bad dental hygiene is associated with many health problems that have nothing to do with your teeth or your gums

Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It looks, from this account, that the 10-year old is already smarter than the parents about food and nutrition. That may be true in general -- kids are a lot smarter and hipper than we are inclined to give them credit for, and parents may be a lot stupider.

If our kids are going to be saved, they will have to save themselves, and maybe we shouldn't sell them short.
The only reason many children appear to be smarter than their parents is that many parents nowadays are morons. Look at their actions and how they try to be their child's buddy rather than their child's parent.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Are many of our health care woes related to poor nutrition?

Yes including lifestyle (drinking & smoking) genetics and exercising.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Genetics, along with an over-consumption of refined carbohydrates and an epidemic of undiagnosed pre-diabetic blood sugar levels that eventually progress to type 2 diabetes due to excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates. (high glycemic load from eating too many carbs in a short period of time) Arteries that are clogging and cholesterol levels that are high more due to carbs (also genetics) than meats and fat.. people still eat up the 'carbs are good' propaganda and shovel down their potato chips, cereal, crackers, and processed foods. It's not the burgers at mcdonalds that kill, it's the fries and large regular drink and large shakes, blizzards, etc.

Also, mental stress is a biggie. It can create anxiety out of thin air and one's belief systems can be their worst nightmare. All this curezone crap that entails coffee enemas, urine therapy, liver flushes, colonics, endless supplements, drinking MMS, etc. is all people's minds gone mad... you don't need any of this stuff... it's all a scam. You want to 'oxygenate' your body? Try meditation and laughter. Good feelings oxygenate the body.

There are very few supplements a person needs. Besides perhaps a centrum type basic multi-vitamin (that includes iodine and excludes iron) , a couple other things that might be useful

Vitamin K2 MK-4
Gelatin (since people no longer boil the bones and eat the skin and organs from animals and prefer lean, skinless, boneless muscle meat)
Alpha Lipolic Acid (potent anti-oxidant)

Last edited by sholomar; 10-01-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Diet is certainly connected to good health. What some people lose sight of though is what exactly is a good diet. I would submit that eating a variety of foods regularly is what is required. I run into too many people these days who believe that shopping at "Whole Foods" or eating what they believe are "totally organic" vegetables is required. People can believe what they want too. However, there is no scientific proof that eating this way is going to prevent cancer or extend your life.

Its fine to eat meat as long as you don't over do it. A good diet incorporates a wide range selection of meats, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and dairy products. One should avoid cuts of meat that have a great deal of fat. One should avoid dairy products that have a high level of fat as well. White bread doesn't need to be treated as "evil". However, it definitely needs to be balanced with things that are whole wheat and grains like cous cous.

Good health is really a function of these things:

1. Good diet.
2. Regular exercise. I mostly do a lot of walking and hiking, but its not uncommon for me to do 4 miles a day.
3. Drinking lots of water. Please don't get me started on the "bottled water" thing. Most of that is just a bunch of unnecessary, expensive hype and fear mongering.
4. Not smoking or taking unprescribed or unnecessary medications or drugs.
5. Eliminating unnecessary stress in your life. A word or two here: Life, is by its nature stressful. Our bodies are built to handle a good deal of stress. However, continued stress over a long period of time is not healthy. That's what we need to watch.
6. If your blood pressure is high control it. Diet may not be sufficient to do this. Some people are for genetic reasons prone to high blood pressure.
7. It may be unfair, but genetics plays an important role in determining how long we live. For example, Winston Churchill broke every rule in the book. He smoked. He drank to excess. He was overweight. As PM of Britain during WWII, he had the most stressful job imaginable. Yet, despite all this, he lived well into his 90's.
8. Be careful and don't take unnecessary risks. Accidents of all sorts claim many thousands of lives every year.
9. A happy marriage or relationship will extend your life. Its why life insurance companies give better rates to married men than to single men.
10. Take care of your teeth. Bad dental hygiene is associated with many health problems that have nothing to do with your teeth or your gums
^^^^^^^^^^

My 2 cents added----eat a balanced diet. Don't go cutting out entire food groups without good reason. I get soooooo tired of hearing all one's health problems will be solved if they eliminate wheat, dairy, caffeine (I know, not a food group, but an essential item), red meat, yadda, yadda......true food allergies are relatively rare. By avoiding entire food groups without good reason one can create more problems than they are trying to solve. For example, eliminate dairy, how do you get enough calcium? Eliminate red meat, risk of anemia, etc, etc.....also, following such restrictions causes a great deal of stress, added to the already-present stress of whatever one is trying to "cure".

I do recommend two food groups to eliminate---fast food and junk food It seems that's all many people know how to eat nowadaysTake a look at the lines at MCD around lunch & dinner

Its about time people in this country took a little responsibility for their own health. Good health isn't a right, its a gift, to be cared for, its your most valuable posession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness