Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

If it is a fungal infection of the groin, you likely have "jock itch" (Tinea cruris). There are products in the drug store that can treat this, like Lamisil (terbinafine 1%) applied daily for one week. But if you have a severe infection, you will need an oral antifungal prescribed as mentioned above.

But obviously only a provider who assesses you and knows your allergies, other meds, healthcare situation, etc... can diagnose you or prescribe treatment (not anyone on the internet). It seems that your doc was thinking this is a bacterial infection, and by far most docs know how to diagnose jock itch. Why don't you ask the provider why they were thinking this is bacterial? Are you in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You can get a prescription powder with nystatin if the fungus is wet. Another thing that would help is to wash the area with soap a couple of times a day and let it dry completely...if it's in a crease, use a blow dryer on low to help it dry.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I wore hearing aids for decades. Because of that I had a chronic fungal infection of the ears. Lamisil would clear it up in just a couple of applications. After a few weeks or so it would return and so another round of Lamisil.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 PM

37 posts, read 337,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
If it is a fungal infection of the groin, you likely have "jock itch" (Tinea cruris). There are products in the drug store that can treat this, like Lamisil (terbinafine 1%) applied daily for one week. But if you have a severe infection, you will need an oral antifungal prescribed as mentioned above.

But obviously only a provider who assesses you and knows your allergies, other meds, healthcare situation, etc... can diagnose you or prescribe treatment (not anyone on the internet). It seems that your doc was thinking this is a bacterial infection, and by far most docs know how to diagnose jock itch. Why don't you ask the provider why they were thinking this is bacterial? Are you in the U.S.?
Dermatologist who prescribed antibiotics is available only on saturdays, so I am going to him tomorrow. But I am afraid that he is gonna make me even worse. I do not trust him after antibiotics.

P.S. I was in other doctor's office today and he said that it might be a Herpes. I am completely astounded now.

My PCP told me it is Fungus, Dermatologist prescribed me antibiotics that made me feel much worse and third doctor who suspects that this might be a Herpes.

What to do in my situation? I feel burning and it is extremely hard to walk for me.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Well, fungal infections don't usually hurt enough to make it hard to walk. Maybe one of the docs knew what they were talking about.

I've been seeing a lot of commercials about how painful shingles (virus) is. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be that ...... but generally speaking you should give a doctor more than one chance, there are so many ailments with identical symptoms that it's hard to get right on the first try.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Are there or have there ever been vescicles (tiny fluid filled blisters, even just a few)?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
I used to have this problem and it was so bad that I would almost bleed.

I started using Tinactin anti fungal liguid spray over the counter
in a can ( not the powder form which is junk )
I would also powder myself down there with regular cornstarch to help keep myself dry.

Next I stopped wearing underware ... which holds moisture.

No problem now for years and I thank GOD for that ! ! !

Old 09-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Are there or have there ever been vescicles (tiny fluid filled blisters, even just a few)?
Yes they were just day before yesterday.They bursted yesterday and fluid's traces still left on the skin. I cannot take a shower because it was so painful 3 days ago. Is it vital to take the shower everyday in my situation? Because I feel pain and burning in my genital area.
In my haunch (top of the left foot) I also have a fungus trace or herpes trace, actually it looks like a crust. But it was just a red spot but then it has become a crust.
If I had fluid blisters does it mean that it might be other illness than fungus? Can Herpes do such things?

Last edited by abjorik; 09-27-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I used to have this problem and it was so bad that I would almost bleed.

I started using Tinactin anti fungal liguid spray over the counter
in a can ( not the powder form which is junk )
I would also powder myself down there with regular cornstarch to help keep myself dry.

Next I stopped wearing underware ... which holds moisture.

No problem now for years and I thank GOD for that ! ! !

How long it took for you to get rid of it? I cannot refuse from underwear because I feel pain when my genital area touches the pants

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjorik View Post
How long it took for you to get rid of it? I cannot refuse from underwear because I feel pain when my genital area touches the pants
Well it took a while because mine was bad.

You might try covering everything with baby oil
and leave it on as long as possible.

When you wash and dry off good try using cornstarch
which helps to keeps down moister.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness