Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I recently had an infected eyelid and took various antibiotics I had from previous problems with the eye, skin or teeth. I saw my eye doctor and he said not to take more than one antibiotic at one time. The eye recovered soon.

Is it always wrong to take more than one at one time, if you're only having one problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I recently had an infected eyelid and took various antibiotics I had from previous problems with the eye, skin or teeth. I saw my eye doctor and he said not to take more than one antibiotic at one time. The eye recovered soon.

Is it always wrong to take more than one at one time, if you're only having one problem?
This is part of the reason that bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics. The specific antibiotic is selected based on the likelihood that the bacteria causing the infection will be sensitive to it. Ideally, a single antibiotic is used for a duration of time that has been shown to eradicate the infection.

Multiple antibiotics might be used together, but that is usually for someone who is seriously ill in the hospital while cultures are being done to determine what exactly is causing the infection. Then often the single best drug is used.

It is best not to try to self medicate with antibiotics.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Also, a person can set themselves up for a super-infection by irresponsibly using antibiotics.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Since you have obviously not been following directions regarding antibiotics and how to take them properly why in the world would you be concerned now?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Did it work for you?..I wasn't aware that there were antibiotics (other than eye drops and lotions) that were specifically prescribed for certain infections. I always thought an oral antibiotic is an oral antibiotic..it's handy to have some handy though, isn't it? and sometimes it saves going to the docs.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Did it work for you?..I wasn't aware that there were antibiotics (other than eye drops and lotions) that were specifically prescribed for certain infections. I always thought an oral antibiotic is an oral antibiotic..it's handy to have some handy though, isn't it? and sometimes it saves going to the docs.
Wow.....

Moderator cut: rude

It isn't "handy" to have antibiotics "laying around"...

First off, if someone has antibiotics laying around it means they didn't take them as prescribed in the first place, antibiotics are prescribed for a certain number of days and unless told otherwise, one should ALWAYS FINISH THE PRESCRIPTION...

Secondly, OF COURSE ANTIBIOTICS ARE SPECIFICALLY PRESCRIBED FOR CERTAIN INFECTIONS....
A gram negative bacteria won't be affected by an antibiotic that is typically prescribed for a gram positive bacteria..and vice versa

The antibiotic that is prescribed for a skin or soft tissue infection will likely be useless for a UTI or URI...

An antibiotic that is perfectly appropriate for methicillin sensitive staph aureus will be ineffective on methicillin resistant staph aureus...

Poor understanding of antibiotics like yours are a big reason why we have increasingly resistant strains of bacteria...

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-04-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

No. THis is dangerous.

I'm an MD and I am very serious about not giving advice online, as that's not what I'm here for, and honestly, if someone has a health issue that needs to be addressed, he/she should either see his/her PMD or go to the ED.

So, I'll just clarify on the points above.

Oral Antibiotics are prescribed for specific infections. There are bacteria that are the cause of skin infections and require oral antibiotics. There are bacteria that are found solely in the oral cavity, cause infections (eg a dental abscess) and can only be covered by specific oral antibiotics. The same is true for the gastrointestinal tract, genitourinary tract, etc.

It is very dangerous to take other people's antibiotics, take expired antibiotics, or take random tablets of antibiotics. Not only is the person making themselves susceptible to increasing resistance (and perhaps spreading that resistant bug to family members, coworkers, etc), but you're putting your health at risk by engaging in polypharmacy.

If ever you're given an antibiotic for an infection and you have some left over, please disgard it in the garbage or give it back to your pcp to dispose of appropriately .

Last edited by erjunkee; 10-01-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Moderator cut: rude....for my brother who was injured in the bush, and it was 10 days before he could get out...yes..it was awful handy having a bottle of antibiotics on him...something he carries just in case....and will continue to...like it or not.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-04-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
No. THis is dangerous.

I'm an MD and I am very serious about not giving advice online, as that's not what I'm here for, and honestly, if someone has a health issue that needs to be addressed, he/she should either see his/her PMD or go to the ED.

So, I'll just clarify on the points above.

Oral Antibiotics are prescribed for specific infections. There are bacteria that are the cause of skin infections and require oral antibiotics. There are bacteria that are found solely in the oral cavity, cause infections (eg a dental abscess) and can only be covered by specific oral antibiotics. The same is true for the gastrointestinal tract, genitourinary tract, etc.

It is very dangerous to take other people's antibiotics, take expired antibiotics, or take random tablets of antibiotics. Not only is the person making themselves susceptible to increasing resistance (and perhaps spreading that resistant bug to family members, coworkers, etc), but you're putting your health at risk by engaging in polypharmacy.

If ever you're given an antibiotic for an infection and you have some left over, please disgard it in the garbage or give it back to your pcp to dispose of appropriately .
Thanks for the clarification doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness