Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard anything about the deadly new cold virus? I caught a bit of it on the news, but can't find any links to it. They said that a 12 day old baby had passed on from it and since they've discovered the virus (which was just recently), at least 10 more people have died from it. Does anyone have any info on it or any links they can provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
According to the CDC a new variant has caused at least 140 illnesses in New York, Oregon, Washington and Texas.

*Also, CDC officials don't consider the mutation to be a cause for alarm for most people, and they're not recommending any new precautions for the general public.*

CDC: Cold-virus variant has killed 10 - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/11/15/deadly.virus.ap/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I heard that on the news too. Sounds really nasty...

Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
It is nasty; I got it 2 weeks ago; and "talking about sick"; I developed acute bronchitis
asthma exacerbation, and finally put on Avelox and prednisone for pnemonia; this is the toughest adenovirus; I've ever had in my over (AHEM) 50 years. The nebulizers didn't even work. and all of the prior experience I had in Respiratory Therapy didn't do any good. Prayer
and Faith in God brought me out of what seemed to have been a near fatal illness.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM

OMG, so it must be fairly widespread then????

I'm just glad to hear that you survived it, yhw. It does sound like one nasty virus. So how do you actually know if it's just a cold or the new one? Are you immediately terribly ill?

By the Bay, thank you for the link.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OMG, so it must be fairly widespread then????

I'm just glad to hear that you survived it, yhw. It does sound like one nasty virus. So how do you actually know if it's just a cold or the new one? Are you immediately terribly ill?

By the Bay, thank you for the link.
You don't, because this starts out as a stuffy then runny nose(like a kid's nose); And a couple of days later, laryngitis/pharyngitis, attacked vocal cords
like never before, around the same time you get extremely cold accompanied by chills, then here comes the spike in temp, 103-104 fever; everything aches like you have something worse than the flu, around the fifth day, every starts, expiratory wheezes, instead of the normal wheezing. I went to the doc he put me on a ten day antibiotic after the third day, I was in the ER; couldn't breathe while lying down, had to sleep sitting up (literally) like someone had punched me in the ribs. I never lost my appetite, this is why this one tricked me, I wasn't weak either. After the ER doctors put me on nebulizer tx, every four hrs, gave me 40mgs of prednisone (5 day), and Tessalon for cough. Oh and I couldn't bring up anything when I cough until the last day of my pred'. Oh and I had a severe headache on one side. almost mimicking a migraine.
I thought I was going into Respiratory Failure at times.
I hope no one else get it...... This scared the "Stew Beef" out of me..seriously!!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Thank you SO much for such a good description. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like you were very ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness