Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Only going by, mainly what the heart association has been saying for years: organ meats are one of the worst things you can eat if you want to reduce your cholestrol (spelling) .
The American Heart Association is not credible..at all.

I'm pretty sure they're funded, in part, by large agriculture & pharmaceutical companies. I wouldn't trust any of their claims

Last edited by Jame22; 07-13-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
we've been told that coffee is good, alcohol is good and also that both are bad.
Eggs were bad and so is liver but they both have redeeming properties and sweets are bad but chocolate is now good and on and on.
Does anybody think that just maybe, moderation is best of all?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Only going by, mainly what the heart association has been saying for years: organ meats are one of the worst things you can eat if you want to reduce your cholestrol (spelling) and even when my father in law was still alive back in the 60s his doctor suggested he drink a couple glasses of red wine a day to bring his blood pressure down. When my husband was diagnosed with minor heart problems in the 80s his doctor told him the same thing. I certainly do not take everything I read to heart as I have said and I am not a huge believer in studies, plus what is bad for us today, might be considered life saving 10 years from now. Just look at how long we were told eggs were bad for us.

I think we can all agree on one thing: there isn't any one food or drink that is going to end or save our lives. Nor is one single glass of wine or even two as good for you as it is not bad for you. All this is just part of a very detailed puzzle and there is no one piece that is more important than the next.

OK, good explanation.

Myself personally, I do not give a lot of credence to what the American Heart Association has to say on many things, including cholesterol.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Any alcoholic drink is beneficial, as long as you hold it to one. The reason is because it lowers stress. Red wine does offer other health benefits, but if you don't like red wine you can have something else. The healthiest people who live the longest will all pretty much attest to moderate drinking.
If you like red wine and don't want to spend a lot look to wines from Argentina and Chile. You can get some really beautiful wines that won't break the bank.
Agree! I like the Argentinian and Chiliean wine, especially Malbec. There's a good Chilean merlot under the La Playa label, if you can find it. Not expensive at all.

I have a wine store near me that sends texts when they are doing mystery cases. You can buy red, white, or mixed, and it works out to a little less than $7 a bottle. You get to try different wines, and it's fun. I get a case of red because most white wines are too vinegary-tasting for me.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:00 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Wine is part of my Italian culture. I drink it every day with meals. Tastes a lot better than soda, doesn't fill me up, or make me burp. Don't care about health benefits, pro or con.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree! I like the Argentinian and Chiliean wine, especially Malbec. There's a good Chilean merlot under the La Playa label, if you can find it. Not expensive at all.

I have a wine store near me that sends texts when they are doing mystery cases. You can buy red, white, or mixed, and it works out to a little less than $7 a bottle. You get to try different wines, and it's fun. I get a case of red because most white wines are too vinegary-tasting for me.
Your best friend is the guy at the wine store! I am in the wine industry and I tell people all the time to get to know your local wine buyer. You tell them what you like and your price point and they will hook you up.
Not sure what white wines you have tried, but in the summer I drink a lot of whites. You may be buying something that is too acidic.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
UOTE=tickyul;48839245]OK, good explanation.

Myself personally, I do not give a lot of credence to what the American Heart Association has to say on many things, including cholesterol.[/quote]

and as have said many times, I do not believe most of these reports period. let's face it, moderation is probably the best path to follow and much of our health is based on family history as much as anything. This doesn't mean everything we read or hear is based on nothing, it is just the reports are way to generalized to fit every case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness