Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 02:37 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times

Advertisements

I asked some questions in an earlier post:
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...red-elbow.html

I fell and fractured my left elbow on December 13. The orthopedic surgeon I saw on 12/17 said I would not need surgery; that I would probably regain most of my range of motion; and sent me to the P/T department. The very pleasant young P/T showed me some exercises and asked me if I would prefer to go to a P/T in the same health network who was a little closer to me; which I did. She gave me the number to call at a hospital that is closer; but did not indicate any urgency in making an appointment. So I didn't worry when the other hospital scheduled my next P/T for 12/30.

Now the situation is more complicated.

I'm not getting along well with my Physical Therapist. But that's not the real problem. I've seen her three times - 12/30 (when she told me I had been doing my exercises, previously assigned by the first therapist I saw, on 12/17; and showed me how to do them right), 12/7, and Friday 12/9. Each time, she has maneuvered my arm into positions that caused me pain so excruciating that I could not endure it for very long. On 12/30, she said I had not made much progress. On 12/7, she took measurements indicating that I had improved in elbow extension and bending; and I had noted increased dexterity in my hand/fingers. She also told me that I should not be feeling so much pain; and she didn't know why I was feeling it. (which made me very concerned as to my condition and her competence; I called my surgeon the next day; he sent a message back to me via his secretary that I shouldn't worry about it).

I found out, by questioning her on 12/30, that the elbow stiffens up about 6 weeks after the injury; which I wish I had known earlier, so I might have known to push for an earlier appointment, rather than settling for a 13-day break between my first and second P/T appointments.

Anyway, I have been doing my exercises religiously. So I was extremely disappointed yesterday on 1/9 to find that I am apparently doing worse than on the 7th. My P/T took measurements but refused to tell me what they indicated, though I asked her. She inflicted more pain; I tried to endure it, but could not, I begged her for a moment's release. I also asked her at one point to tell me how long she was going to press the elbow in that particular way, thinking if I knew how long, it might help me stand the pain. She refused. She mentioned that if I made no progress in two weeks, I couldn't come back; or maybe she said I was supposed to have two weeks of P/T, but if I made no progress I couldn't come back; I'm not sure; the thing that stood out was "no progress". The worst thing was that she was urging me to relax my arm or hand or both while applying extremely painful pressure; there was no way I could relax, I was struggling not to scream and was coming apart emotionally...She did do some less painful maneuvers at one point. But I don't think it helped. She was trying to get me to touch the back of my head with my left hand; and the most I could manage was a fingertip on the top of my neck for a couple of seconds.

At the end of the session on 1/9 (Friday), the P/T told me not to do any exercises before I saw her again (Tuesday 1/13); just to "move" the elbow, to throw a ball, try to touch my back with my left hand, and do a hand-turning exercise that she showed me so briefly that I barely remember it.

I have the feeling that the P/T doesn't know what to do with me. I'm wondering whether I should return to the exercises I was doing prior to my improvement on 1/7 - but if I do so, I will be contradicting her instructions. I have been faithfully throwing the ball and touching the back of my head, and generally trying to use the elbow (as I have been doing for weeks; just more consciously).

If anyone here has had P/T; especially for elbow injuries -
Is the Physical Therapist supposed to manipulate an injured limb so that it causes unbearable pain? I expected aches, discomfort, and some pain, but not pain so intense lasting several seconds or more than a minute.

Should I go with my gut feeling, defy the Physical therapist's instructions and continue some of the earlier assigned exercises between now and Tuesday 1/13 in addition to doing what she said?

Should I try to get a new P/T?

I am very disheartened; because I fear that my surgeon will recommend surgery after all, putting in screws and I hear that it's painful and the recovery is much longer. I don't seem to have made much progress in four weeks if my P/T's reaction on 1/9 was any indication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness