Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times

Advertisements

So glad I found this thread. Last Sunday I was doing a thorough cleaning of my kitchen and was lisfting, twisting, reaching way more than I normally do. Nothing felt bad at the time but Monday morning I could barely walk. Finally went Friday to urgent care where PA told me most people get better after 6 weeks no matter what they do or if they do anything. She recommended tennis ball on my back and heating pad. She said nothing about cold. I'm one of those who doesn't believe in chiropractic medicine but it is looking like a good idea now.
I'm 67 and not in very good shape at all. getting on the floor and back up again isn't gonna happen.
I have neuropathy, diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease so I'm limited in what meds I can take. I guess I can sit in a straight back chair to do some of the leg raises. Seems like physical therapy is what I really need.
Of course we will have company for Christmas and there is so much to do. I've been in bed all morning after fixing a breakfast casserole for breakfast. I was in misery the whole time. If I can get though December 27th it will be a major accomplishment but our activities and menu will have to be greatly modified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do exercises first (find videos on youtube). You need to strengthen those slightly-used small muscles around your back. Concentrate on your posture, pulling your belly in and arching your back when you stand and walk, and keep your shoulders back..
I plan to begin yoga after I completely heal. I hear that strengthens your core a lot.
Do you have any core-strengthening exercise links you can recommend on Youtube? I plan to show them to my chiropractor first before trying them though.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So glad I found this thread. Last Sunday I was doing a thorough cleaning of my kitchen and was lisfting, twisting, reaching way more than I normally do. Nothing felt bad at the time but Monday morning I could barely walk. Finally went Friday to urgent care where PA told me most people get better after 6 weeks no matter what they do or if they do anything. She recommended tennis ball on my back and heating pad. She said nothing about cold. I'm one of those who doesn't believe in chiropractic medicine but it is looking like a good idea now.
I'm 67 and not in very good shape at all. getting on the floor and back up again isn't gonna happen.
I have neuropathy, diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease so I'm limited in what meds I can take. I guess I can sit in a straight back chair to do some of the leg raises. Seems like physical therapy is what I really need.
Of course we will have company for Christmas and there is so much to do. I've been in bed all morning after fixing a breakfast casserole for breakfast. I was in misery the whole time. If I can get though December 27th it will be a major accomplishment but our activities and menu will have to be greatly modified.
Sorry to hear that. After this experience, I feel greatly for people with great responsibility. I can't imagine having severe sciatica with a baby or a couple of toddlers. Yikes. Probably too late to cancel your plans now. Do you have a husband who'd be willing to do it, while taking direction from you? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Or maybe turn Christmas into a potluck, for the most part. You can handle a main meat dish while everyone brings a side dish. Sounds fair to me, given your condition.
(That's what my family does anyway.)

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Thanks MSPLove for your concern. Hubs is a great help, will clean and vacuum, care for pets and children but totally useless in the kitchen. He honestly messed up the boxed mac and cheese one time- used a stick of butter and left out the milk!

So we decided to order most of our meal from Boston Market. We got boneless turkey breast and a few sides. Wasn't cheap but it was delicious. Surprised at how moist and delicious the turkey was. I managed a side dish or two and company was very cooperative. I holed up in bed with the heating pad and netflix on my nexus and pain pills. Everything went OK. I've been doing some exercises in bed but it is still bad. I'll live. The kids have been very busy with their new legos and electronics, hubby is playing with his toys and i'm going brain dead on BBC dramas I never knew about but am loving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness