Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,465,734 times

Advertisements

I stayed in a hotel and got this skin problem from sleeping in their bed. Never had this condition before. Taking a cream called Permethrin Cream and it works good for now.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,772,384 times
I feel your pain. I thought I caught scabies in the winter from a hotel. It turned out my dog caught dog mites from the hotel and I was getting bitten by those. Anyways, apply that cream as directed and reapply as many days after as directed. Wash your sheets and towels EVERY SINGLE DAY, along with daily clothes instead of leaving them in a dirty clothes pile. Vacuum everywhere daily.

If the scabies is from a pet instead, your symptoms won't go away until the pet is treated. Pets can be bitten by human scabies but human scabies won't live on pets. The opposite applies to dog mites---they will live on the dog but bite humans. For dogs, Revolution kills mites. If I recall correctly, it required a dose every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. After applying those three doses, return to the usual monthly dose. My symptoms went away as soon as I treated the dog.

Dermatologists and veterinarians often can't tell the difference between the two. That's why it's important to treat the pets if you don't have relief in a month from the human treatment. Keep at it with the laundry and vacuuming. I'm serious. That's a big deal if it's human or pet mites.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,446,970 times
An effective Scabicide......alternative to topicals:

Ivermectin Use in Scabies - American Family Physician

Oral ivermectin is an effective and cost-comparable alternative to topical agents in the treatment of scabies infection. It may be particularly useful in the treatment of severely crusted scabies lesions in immunocompromised patients or when topical therapy has failed.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

18,940 posts, read 43,363,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I feel your pain. I thought I caught scabies in the winter from a hotel. It turned out my dog caught dog mites from the hotel and I was getting bitten by those. Anyways, apply that cream as directed and reapply as many days after as directed. Wash your sheets and towels EVERY SINGLE DAY, along with daily clothes instead of leaving them in a dirty clothes pile. Vacuum everywhere daily.

If the scabies is from a pet instead, your symptoms won't go away until the pet is treated. Pets can be bitten by human scabies but human scabies won't live on pets. The opposite applies to dog mites---they will live on the dog but bite humans. For dogs, Revolution kills mites. If I recall correctly, it required a dose every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. After applying those three doses, return to the usual monthly dose. My symptoms went away as soon as I treated the dog.

Dermatologists and veterinarians often can't tell the difference between the two. That's why it's important to treat the pets if you don't have relief in a month from the human treatment. Keep at it with the laundry and vacuuming. I'm serious. That's a big deal if it's human or pet mites.
Same for me, when I brought home my new puppy (from a flea market) I let her sleep with me, then I noticed I started itching really bad, so bad I had to scratch myself with a hair brush. The vet put her on Revolution and in two weeks the itching was gone.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,049,527 times
Along with the cream, wash your blankets & sheets in hot water.

I few years ago I developed a skin rash which was caused by allergies, but a dumb med student told me I had scabies. Hang in there.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM

This is the weirdest feeling I've ever had is a bug under my skin moving around. I've got very little itching for some reason after having this for two weeks now.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 PM

I didn't have that feeling since they were only biting and not living on me. But I itched like crazy.

They can also be caught at nursing homes and hospitals. I know this because the dermatologist asked me if I had been to a nursing home or hospital in the past few weeks. Yes to the hospital (my son at the ER) and the hotel was where the dog and I was staying while I was visiting him. Since it ended up being dog mites, that's how I knew it was the hotel. I'm starting to get a bit leery of traveling due to all of the crap we can catch at hotels these days.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM

People are going to have to bring their own bed sheets and blankets I see in the future. I might just bring my sleeping bag next time I stay in a motel.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,669,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
People are going to have to bring their own bed sheets and blankets I see in the future. I might just bring my sleeping bag next time I stay in a motel.
I have seen silk "cocoons" for sale that shield you from "stuff" in a bed. Not sure how effective, seems like critters could just drawl in at the top. But it does offer some protection.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Only take your sleeping bag if it can be washed in hot water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness