Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Hermes' new fragrance for this season makes me wretch. I'm not allergic, it's just that bad.
And that reminds me....many will receive perfume/cologne as xmas gifts and they'll be bathing in it for weeks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I love fragrances. Always have fragranced candles burning in the house, use fabric softener and laundry detergent with fragrance, smell all the perfume samples in magazines, etc. I feel for those you are allergic to them. I have one allergy, but thankfully, it's easy to manage.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I love fragrances. Always have fragranced candles burning in the house, use fabric softener and laundry detergent with fragrance, smell all the perfume samples in magazines, etc. I feel for those you are allergic to them. I have one allergy, but thankfully, it's easy to manage.
Yes, you are very fortunate not to get sick from those chemicals. And I'm sure you are considerate of anyone who cannot be around it.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
And that reminds me....many will receive perfume/cologne as xmas gifts and they'll be bathing in it for weeks!!

Well, whenever I get unwanted gifts I find someone else to give them too. If they don't want them I donate them to a thrift store.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Unfortunately our HR manager says there is no scientific proof that fragrances can really make anyone sick. And that if we are bothered by it, we need to talk to the person wearing it.
Your HR manager gave some excellent advice.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your HR manager gave some excellent advice.
Tried talking with the ones wearing the toxic stuff, some were very approachable and willing to stop wearing the stench. Others (no matter how tactful, or how pleasant my tone of voice), they became very defensive and rude, and ended up wearing more!

There are many employers (I need to fine one!) who are concerned about all employee's health and have implemented a fragrance-free workplace. HR managers who don't care are the ones who ignore the situation.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM

157 posts, read 651,724 times
Hi Katie ~

I agree that talking to the individuals is best. However, a disorder generally called "Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) or Environmental Illness" can be subject in some situations to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). In severe cases, employers can be compelled through this act to alter work environments for those who are somewhat disabled from chemical poisoning (completely disabled obviously wouldn't be working anyway).

I'm certainly not saying you are disabled, and you need not be worried .. I've never heard of anyone getting MCS from regular day-day fragrance exposure .. but it may help when talking to your employer and co-workers to gently provide some references to give them a better understanding. I have not found any basis or precedent for a lawsuit to ensure a fragrance-free workspace, but often, information can foster understanding, so here are some sites that might help. Also, there is much more to be found (including government position papers supporting the definition of MCS) by doing some more googling.

HEAL of Southern Arizona
Rocky Mountain Environmental Health Association, On-Line Resources
ACCOMMODATING THE ALLERGIC EMPLOYEE IN THE WORKPLACE
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM)

Also, the following site shows a sample of a small personal air cleaner that hangs around your neck. It is not the most practical because it is battery operated, but I have one and I have found that it at least helps a little bit (and I look so cool wearing it ). You might also google around for some other options like this or smaller desk top or plug-in air filters (WalMart has some plug-in ones).
Ultra-Mini Air Supply™ - Magellan's Travel Supplies

You could also treat yourself (or get treated) to eliminiate chemical sensitivity .. NAET EFT Provides Impressive Health and Emotional Freedom--New Discovery Often Works Where Nothing Else Welcome to TATLife - the home of Tapas Fleming and the Tapas Acupressure Technique Welcome to NMT.md

Finally, in terms of "tests" for sensitivity to chemicals, maybe search a NASA-derived diagnostic and treatment device called a SCIO, or check out Genova Diagnostics (http://www.gdx.net/home/ - broken link) .. this is one of the best diagnostic labs (according to many docs I have met) and they have a hair analysis test that can show high levels of metals/chemicals in the body.

Overall, probably way more than you needed to know, but I have noticed more and more places that, if not fragrance-free, are at least understanding.

best wishes ~

Last edited by dgoboy204; 12-01-2007 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 AM

While sensitivity to the chemicals in fragrances is real; it's up to the employer whether or not they choose to recognize the issue.

Our HR mgr doesn't want to be bothered, and our HR mgr is more interested in herself and her career vs employees.

If one of the muckity-mucks complained about the perfumes/colognes, a fragrance-free policy would be implemented before the day was out....such is life in our company, and many others I'm afraid.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I'm with you - scented candles are all over our home - I love fabreze and the new scented fabric softeners are great -

I love the smell of perfumes on a woman (remember the movie - "Scent of a Woman"?)

Like you, I'm sorry others are "allergic" to fragrances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness