Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Is it wrong to want the easy way out and have faster relief via asking for antibiotics?

My household has food poisoning. I think it's listeria. It was unopened bacon past the sell by date. The bacon looked fine and smelled fine. But everyone is now sick, and I have it the worst because I'm more susceptible. I'm really sick. Every symptom, except I'm not vomiting yet. Diarrhea, the chills, stomach cramps, and muscle aches are setting in. I have a fever. I'm terribly nauseous.

I'm wondering if I should tough it out or call the doctor to see if he'll give me antibiotics? I'd normally tough it out, but I'm not looking forward to the next few days since this time I have nausea. The last time I had bad food poisoning to cause symptoms this severe (19 years ago), I was taken to the ER via ambulance just 1 hour after starting to vomit. I dehydrated that quickly.

I know it's unlikely that will happen again, and I'm just being a wimp. I'd just like to avoid the next few days if possible.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-24-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
By now, you no doubt know the diagnosis.

I bet it wasn't the bacon. Even at the early stages of going bad, the uncooked bacon would have felt sticky to the touch, and would be fine if rinsed off, unless it is also discolored, usually blue.

Expiration date does not mean it has become unsafe to eat, it only means the retailer will no longer guarantee it to have all the qualities of fresh bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness