Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm really curious: why do vegetarians think that choice is healthy? What scientific studies are there to back that up? I'm not interested in opinions or hearsay, but facts based on research or medical studies. I've seen both pros and cons about this, but some of the "cons" are disturbing, like this one from a PhD:
http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/19/vegetarianism_myths_01.htm (broken link)
For now, I'm just interested in learning about it, because a couple of my nephews are "vegens"...I'm not about to change my diet tomorrow morning...

Thanks,
Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
There is plenty of evidence out there to support vegetarian diets. I don't think a link to a website that is hawking some book and supplements is the best way to judge it. Maybe you should look for more unbiased info?
If your nephews are vegans they don't eat any animal products. That is different than a vegetarian.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
My husband and I have been vegetarians for over 20 years now. No health problems whatsoever, quite the opposite, no high blood preasure, no cholesterol problems, weight is ok, etc....

here is a link to PCRM, Physicians Committee for responsible medicine....
and what they say about a vegetarian diet

PCRM >> Health >> Vegetarian Foods: Powerful for Health

PCRM >> Preventive Medicine and Nutrition >> Soy and Your Health

Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
BudinAk, read "The china study". That is the most comprehensive study on nutrition ever conducted.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
i believe it is healthier because meat is hard to digest and meat usually has hormones, antibiotics and other things like the possibility of ecoli or mad cow disease or contamination with fecal matter, maybe some trace amounts of animal hair, etc. i just think meat is a bit gross. of course most milk is full of some of these things also.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i believe it is healthier because meat is hard to digest and meat usually has hormones, antibiotics and other things like the possibility of ecoli or mad cow disease or contamination with fecal matter, maybe some trace amounts of animal hair, etc. i just think meat is a bit gross. of course most milk is full of some of these things also.
Well these can also be found in Vegetables like the E-coli outbreak in spinach a while back or Fecal Matter commonly found in Strawberries along with pesticides and herbicides as thats why you need to wash all Fruits and Vegetables. There are Organic Fruits and Vegetables as there are Organic natural Meats.

Secondly we produce Hydrochloric Acid and also Protease which dissolves Proteins and Meats. For me i do worse on grains and feel better on meat and good fats and low glycemic Vegetables but we are all different as our DNA is different so some thrive as Vegetarians and others like me do well on the Paleolithic or Mediterranean type diets.

I say experiment and see how you feel.

I just had Chicken and Blueberries with Olive Oil and feel great.....

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 11-20-2007 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I just had blueberries and sliced banana with some vanilla/hazelnut rice milk. Too good.

As for fecal matter in our fruits, what the heck are they doing to our natural foods? They shouldn't be using manure on fruits and veggies to begin with. That is just gross.
But look at the meat, most people ingest fecal matter in their meat from the way meat is processed and they don't know it. They just get that '24 hour bug' alot and think it's normal.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
But look at the meat, most people ingest fecal matter in their meat from the way meat is processed and they don't know it. They just get that '24 hour bug' alot and think it's normal.
I'll have to go back years as to when i last had the 24 hour flu ,

Now i used to eat Oatmeal by the ton so this applies to me also but i've read many times that people who eat Cereals and Oats consume xx amount of Bugs or the broken up parts as the Grain Silos are full of them getting into the grains and then getting mixed up in the milling process so we that eat cereal grains also eat Bugs. ( I think that Moths were the main ones but there's alot that love those grains like us). So lets be fair about ALL of us consuming things we don't know about whats in our foods.

Don't get me started about the Sanitary conditions in Kitchens in Resturants (Former delivery guy) that we ALL have been to in our lives.

Just thought you'd be interested .

Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
i would much rather eat bugs than poo.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
I don't disagree that being vegetarian CAN be healthier, but for many people I don't think it is. Simply removing meats from your diet often results in poor nutrition. if someone has really done their homework and knows how to get all the nutrients they are giving up by no longer eating meat, that's great.

I have a good friend who is vegetarian (as are her young kids). She eats tons of horribly processed foods, basically lives on boca burgers and rice for dinner, etc. Her kids look sickly. I really think they are malnurished and would be much better off eating some meat!

But again--a vegetarian who really knows what they're doing is probably doing a good thing....... (btw, I'm not vegetarian)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness