U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times

Advertisements

I read that decaffeinated coffee wasn't good for you, maybe someone needs to search the internet on tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,313,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I read that decaffeinated coffee wasn't good for you, maybe someone needs to search the internet on tea.
It doesn't have as many EGCG polyphenols in it per bag.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,313,295 times
I've been drinking Green Tea by the gallons for over 10 years now as it helped to break a really bad coffee habit i started back in my teens in the Navy as we used to put in 18 to 20 hour days out at sea so i finally quit for the most most part except on the weekend i'll have a large black coffee with Cinnamon Powder from Starbucks.

I definately do not have Kidney Stones as some are warning but i may cut back as i've been reading that it has trace amounts of Flouride. I really believe it's been the ''elixxer'' of my antiaging as most tell me i look like i'm in 30's even though i'm 43. I'm sipping on some HOT Green Tea right now (4th cup today so far) and surfing City Data and listening to 80's New Wave . Life is good !!

They even have Blueberry tea at Wild Oats so i'm stoked on that as i'll have to start trying that out.

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 12-01-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Add-on

Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 AM

7,766 posts, read 17,217,247 times
All of this dependency on research seems like pure nonsense to me. Do like Harry and TRUST YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE. Take the research nonsense with a grain of salt. It's impossible to do truly objective research anyway. The outcome is always influenced by the beliefs, prejudices, attitudes, perspectives, etc of the researcher, no matter how objective the researcher may claim to be. IMO, as a society we give up waaaay too much of our own power to scientists, researchers, experts, authorities, etc. Whatever happened to common sense and trusting our gut instincts?

blessings...Franco

Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,028,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
All of this dependency on research seems like pure nonsense to me. Do like Harry and TRUST YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE. Take the research nonsense with a grain of salt. It's impossible to do truly objective research anyway. The outcome is always influenced by the beliefs, prejudices, attitudes, perspectives, etc of the researcher, no matter how objective the researcher may claim to be. IMO, as a society we give up waaaay too much of our own power to scientists, researchers, experts, authorities, etc. Whatever happened to common sense and trusting our gut instincts?
As someone who reads other people's research for a living - I have to acknowledge that you have hit the nail on the head! Very well said.

One of the most lucid lessons I learned in college was when I was working in a Behaviorial Neuroscience Lab and everyone had to read and critique previously peer-reviewed studies with our entire team and mentor once a week. Unbelievably enlightening, because at least 8 out of 10 already published research studies were poorly done and we could poke holes in their methodology or conclusions. To be honest, that experience is what turned me away from pursuing a degree in the Biological Sciences as I realized the best research conducted couldn't lead to much more than a single and nearly insignificant conclusion which on its own is pretty much worthless. As someone who is impatient, spending 3 years figuring out that 1 particular chemical compound when exposed to a particular receptor, in particular circumstances, creates a single result, in a single type of mammal... well that would have driven me batty

All that said, back to the OP - my grandmother (afflicted with kidney stones) has had 3 rather quick and uneventful operations in her life traced back to drinking large amounts of green tea... well she is 90 years old... sharper than I've ever been, with a memory that amazes everyone, and no other health issues. So... I guess we all need to put things in perspective... she is one heck of a healthy lady. If drinking green tea has caused her to have some kidney stones which were taken care of with relative ease... well I guess that's not bad considering all the great things it might have bestowed upon her life.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,623,586 times
My favorites teas are from two families
Celestial Seasoning Teas- Blueberry, Lemon-Ice-Sleepytime- Chamomile- and peppermint
Oriental-original oolong teas, black teas, are the best for overall cardio-health
The others for so many cures and full of anti-oxidants and Phytonutrients
Homemade'- Yellow root (goldenseal) Mix with garlic and cayenne pepper for a dose
during the winter months and for a cold (common).
blood purifier and anti-hypertensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness