Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,182,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I didn't think the atkins diet would leave you weak and unable to exercise. I don't feel carbs give energy to the body..just the opposite. A good steak, with vegies can't be wrong. The protein is where the energy comes from.Maybe your dad needs more protein?..If he's following the diet he should eat as much protein as he wants...He should be eating until he's absolutely full.(vegies included)..maybe he's not eating enough?..maybe that's why he feels faint occasionally.
Yes, he needs to feel full. Lettuce is our friend! Just don't put carbs on the dressing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,630,475 times
this is very interesting. several years ago my cholesterol was off the wall and of course I had a weight problem (I still have that but no high Chol) I put myself on a modified Atkins diet and it went down almost a 100 points, with the bad going way down. I don't think I would blame the doctor if the guy feels weak. It sounds like there might be something else, but I am not a doctor so am only reporting how the diet helped me...

Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM

192 posts, read 250,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehealthguy View Post
I'm not aware of any serious studies proving Atkins diet is bad or good.
Best evidence is real-life Atkins dieters in the 90's. Where are they now? Usually fat...or dead, like Atkins himself.

Quote:
Or that carbs by themselves are bad or good.
Nature always puts carbs without fat. nature didn't mess up. The healthiest people are low-fat-eaters(China, 80-10-10 eaters)

Quote:
carbs can quickly increase glucose levels in diabetics.
I've studied diabetes. If they weren't eating un-natural levels of fat, they wouldn't have diabetes. Fat traps glucose in the blood, causing the pancreas to over-work (See Dr. Barnard's "Reversing Diabetes", and "Reversing Diabetes in 30 days")

Quote:
Atkins is ideal for his condition
The Dr. probably received the same propaganda you did. The fact that Dr's are buying this marketing scam is angering me.

A high-meat diet is bad on so many levels:

* toxins
* hormones/ steroids
* all fat & protein
* no carbs that the body expects
* we're primates. No one would give this diet to a monkey. AND, even meat-eating animals don't eat like that.

My Uncle's metabolism was messed up before(that's one of the problems). Now it's MORE messed up. He will gain the weight back, like he always has.
And this cycle abuses the body.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM

22,652 posts, read 24,559,504 times
Did he read and follow the book?????

Most people don't read and follow the book.......then they talk **** about how cr**** Atkin's and low carb are.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Best evidence is real-life Atkins dieters in the 90's. Where are they now? Usually fat...or dead, like Atkins himself.

Nature always puts carbs without fat. nature didn't mess up. The healthiest people are low-fat-eaters(China, 80-10-10 eaters)

I've studied diabetes. If they weren't eating un-natural levels of fat, they wouldn't have diabetes. Fat traps glucose in the blood, causing the pancreas to over-work (See Dr. Barnard's "Reversing Diabetes", and "Reversing Diabetes in 30 days")

The Dr. probably received the same propaganda you did. The fact that Dr's are buying this marketing scam is angering me.

A high-meat diet is bad on so many levels:

* toxins
* hormones/ steroids
* all fat & protein
* no carbs that the body expects
* we're primates. No one would give this diet to a monkey. AND, even meat-eating animals don't eat like that.

My Uncle's metabolism was messed up before(that's one of the problems). Now it's MORE messed up. He will gain the weight back, like he always has.
And this cycle abuses the body.
so you are blaming everything on the Atkins diet. I wonder why you even posted here; was it to warn those who happen to feel better on a low carb diet who bad they can be?

You mention where are those who lost all that weight? You can say the same about Jenny Craig, or any other dies plan. Most people do not stick with them and do gain a lot of the weight back, Wait Watchers is the same. As are people who follow his diet dead or alive because of it, who knows, bur remember he was a cardiologist and what he died of will remain a question. According to Snopes, a heart condition may have been the cause but most of us know Snopes isn't always right either. Even if he did die of heart trouble, some people have unhealthy hearts and nothing can prevent a heart attack, same as some people have genes that point to possible cancer.

I am not suggesting everyone should follow his plan. I do, however, think we should not generalize and try to convince others a plan is right because it didn't work for one person.

Last edited by nmnita; 11-08-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Did he read and follow the book???...Most people don't read and follow the book....then they talk **** about how ...
True, people often do a diet wrong.
He didn't read the book. I should've said "Atkins-like" diet. It's like phase 1: Meat, eggs, veggies, under 70 grams of carbs.

The Atkins site says you'll feel this way. But they say Phase 1 should only last a month. Maybe this is why.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Does your Uncle have his diabetes under control as well?
He's not scheduled to see the Dr for a few days (6 weeks after starting this diet!!! - more recklessness)

Week 5: still tired. Nothing new.

But changes are coming. I hope they're not bad ones. Time to pray for his life.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,276,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
True, people often do a diet wrong.
He didn't read the book. I should've said "Atkins-like" diet. It's like phase 1: Meat, eggs, veggies, under 70 grams of carbs.

The Atkins site says you'll feel this way. But they say Phase 1 should only last a month. Maybe this is why.
Atkins first phase is under 20 g carbohydrates (not including fiber) per day. "Wobbly feelings" are generally due to low potassium and/or dehydration. Extra leafy veg will be within diet parameters and supply potassium. Many people do not drink enough water, and low carb requires you to pay more attention to how much water you drink (did you drink enough? Drink more!).

For a diet and nutrition expert, you are are passing off a lot of inaccurate "information".

Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,754,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Atkins first phase is under 20 g carbohydrates (not including fiber) per day. "Wobbly feelings" are generally due to low potassium and/or dehydration. Extra leafy veg will be within diet parameters and supply potassium. Many people do not drink enough water, and low carb requires you to pay more attention to how much water you drink (did you drink enough? Drink more!).

For a diet and nutrition expert, you are are passing off a lot of inaccurate "information".
A real diet and nutrition expert would never recommend any "diet plan." They would recommend a healthy eating plan, with restricted calories *plus* exercise for weight loss and general health, increasing exercise as fitness is increased, and then raising the calorie cap for maintenance once the goal weight range has been achieved.

But I'm sure our "diet and fitness expert" knows all this.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:00 AM

107 posts, read 558,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A real diet and nutrition expert would never recommend any "diet plan." They would recommend a healthy eating plan, with restricted calories *plus* exercise for weight loss and general health...
This random approach without a diet plan can work for some people. I personally know that having a personal diet plan can ease the effort in achieving your goal. For example, you can eliminate one whole group of foods, such as sweets, than you can eliminate another group, such as meat or milk products or carbonated drinks or whatever. The goal of a diet is not necessary only losing weight, but also saving some money without being hungry, feeling better, being more concentrated on your work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness