Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM

192 posts, read 250,439 times

Advertisements

My Uncle had a heart attack 2 years ago. A month ago, his Dr said he's "fine" but needs to lose weight. So the Dr. prescribed the Atkins diet (Phase 1). This is unusual for a Dr. but my Uncle and his wife agreed without a second opinion.

I know he can not be healthy, and that Atkins is for weight loss(mostly water and glycogen) without regard for health. So I - a health/diet expert - tried to stop him.

Yep, that didn't work. Since then, this Atkins diet leaves him no energy to exercise.

(a month into Atkins) - he felt "wobbly" when standing, and noticed he couldn't think clearly. (not signs of health). He knew how to get rid of these symptoms: he ate a banana, etc. So why is he doing this.

He has a treadmill test tomorrow(Nov 5). I'll be updating this story under my video about him from March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2b7-vbdpB4

My predictions have been right so far. Is it easy to predict tomorrow's test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
My Uncle had a heart attack 2 years ago. A month ago, his Dr said he's "fine" but needs to lose weight. So the Dr. prescribed the Atkins diet (Phase 1). This is unusual for a Dr. but my Uncle and his wife agreed without a second opinion.

I know he can not be healthy, and that Atkins is for weight loss(mostly water and glycogen) without regard for health. So I - a health/diet expert - tried to stop him.

Yep, that didn't work. Since then, this Atkins diet leaves him no energy to exercise.

(a month into Atkins) - he felt "wobbly" when standing, and noticed he couldn't think clearly. (not signs of health). He knew how to get rid of these symptoms: he ate a banana, etc. So why is he doing this.

He has a treadmill test tomorrow(Nov 5). I'll be updating this story under my video about him from March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2b7-vbdpB4

Huh?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I didn't think the atkins diet would leave you weak and unable to exercise. I don't feel carbs give energy to the body..just the opposite. A good steak, with vegies can't be wrong. The protein is where the energy comes from.Maybe your dad needs more protein?..If he's following the diet he should eat as much protein as he wants...He should be eating until he's absolutely full.(vegies included)..maybe he's not eating enough?..maybe that's why he feels faint occasionally.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
protein is where the energy comes from
While this is a common misconception, do you really believe this:

Quote:
I don't feel carbs give energy
I recently heard "low-carb-cory" say: "runners don't take fat or protein pills on a marathon...carbs give the quickest energy."

Quote:
maybe he's not eating enough?
True. 99% of diets rely on calorie restriction to work.
But he's getting more than enough protein.
CDC recommends: 56g
WHO recommends: 40g
My uncle is getting 160g - 3 TIMES what I get. I'm active(weight lifting even)

Quote:
he should eat as much protein as he wants
He used to eat a lot of "protein"(and you mean meat...which is high in fat too). That's
how he got fat with heart disease.

From an Atkins site (typo, theirs):

"You might want to know ow you’ll feel during the induction phase? Probably weak, cranky
and light-headed at first. Burning fat will help curb your appetite"

Last edited by Sacman; 11-05-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Is he eating all the veggies he's supposed to? A lot of Atkins dieters only hear the meat and eggs part and forget to add salads and nuts and all the other foods you're supposed to eat. Also, he could probably bump up his carbs a bit--I can't go as low carb as the induction diet either.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Sure, carbs are good for "fast" energy..but it fizzles out pretty quick, and leaves you hungrier for more..Protein doesn't have to come from meat..how about some good ol baked beans, or eggs, or nuts.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Is he eating all the veggies he's supposed to?
He's been eating veggies at every meal, and 1 or 2 fruits in between meals. No nuts. Beans are 1/2 carbs and his whacked Dr. said he "can't process carbs"

His hunger dropped on this diet, which brings up this:

carbs...
Quote:
...fizzles out pretty quick, and leaves you hungrier for more
That's cause you need more. My hunger is satisfied at 2400 calories. My Uncle hasn't eaten enough cause his body's saying "no more of this protein and fat....... must have carbs" And the body will protect itself be adding fat-storage and the next opportunity.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 AM

107 posts, read 558,853 times
Energy comes from carbs (4 kcal/g), proteins (4 kcal/g), fats (9 kcal/g) an alcohol (7 kcal/g). You can gain weight by consuming any of them. Diet related weakness comes from not eating enough, dehydration or deficiency of certain nutrients, such as potassium (muscle weakness), iron, folate and vitamin B12 (anemia).

I'm not aware of any serious studies proving Atkins diet is either bad or good. Or that carbs by themselves are bad or good. Diet containing >60% carbs may increase blood triglycerides in susceptible people, and carbs can quickly increase glucose levels in diabetics. But that doesn't mean carbs are bad for people in general.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:

Interesting...tell us more.

I knew a man like your uncle..he's dead now...he died weighing in at 527lbs. He knew he was sick, he knew he was unhealthy and he didn't care. He couldn't control his eating and he killed himself.

Does your Uncle have his diabetes under control as well?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:

You are misinformed about the Atkins diet. It is ideal for his condition, but you have to follow it (eating a banana is not going to work). Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness