Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times

Advertisements

How many times has everyone gotten a "thank you" when going to see the doc? Therein lies much of our problems. I've been to some clinics where you are treated like a customer, which more or less hits you over the head with how dysfunctional the other clinics are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 PM

494 posts, read 500,797 times
The doctor doesn't give a damn. If you miss your appt they have the audacity to try to charge you. My time is valuable. I make an appointment that fits my schedule, not the doctor's. If my doc was an hour late, then I'd fire him. My doctor told me that all that his asks of his patients is that they be on time. I told him that if he extends me the same courtesy, then we can do business. He was cool with that. Don't accept bad behavior.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
The doctor doesn't give a damn. If you miss your appt they have the audacity to try to charge you. My time is valuable. I make an appointment that fits my schedule, not the doctor's. If my doc was an hour late, then I'd fire him. My doctor told me that all that his asks of his patients is that they be on time. I told him that if he extends me the same courtesy, then we can do business. He was cool with that. Don't accept bad behavior.
They should charge you if you miss your appointment.

You have the audacity to say that your time is valuable.....yet you don't extend the same respect to your doctor's time.

He set aside a specific amount of time in his schedule for YOU.....and than you have the audacity to not even bother showing up.

People like you are the reason doctor's double book and that is one of the main reasons everyone who did show up for their appointments have to suffer long waits.

People who miss appointments are a BIG part of the problem.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Forgot to add...Physicians Assistants and Nurse Practioners can prescribe meds in certain states.
As long as I have any choice, I will not use PA or NPs. My experience is that try to practice beyond their training and are too one dimensional. I have used Special Forces medics when I had no choice in Viet Nam but not now, not ever unless I have no other choice. And yes, had an experience last year with a PA who diagnosed, prescribed a drug which I did not take until I could see the doc later. Turns out, the doc found my problem which was a long, long way from what the PA said. No thanks. Will go with the guy who spent 15 to 20 years studying his subject and has to be board certified via continuing education.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,921,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Is this a joke post? I certainly hope so. The poor girl! Works five and somedays six days a week??? With long hours?!?!? Unprecedented!!!

Our poor, oppressed docs. Why, just the other day I saw a urologist panhandling in the Walmart parking lot.

It never ceases to amaze me how out of touch some people are with how the other 90% lives.
Reading comprehension seems to be a bit of a problem here.

Yes, works 6 days (and much longer than 8 hours a day), is paid for 5. No one said they're poor and oppressed. The point is that they're unappreciated, under paid for the number of hours they actually work, and increasingly disgruntled with the whole profession. That's a problem for everyone because when docs start leaving the profession, which they are doing, we are all affected.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Since many posters have stated their time is valuable and state they should bill their doctor for it...................why aren't you doing it ?

Please do it and post back here as to the size of your check.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Doctors are rarely late because of emergencies. On the unusual occasion where there is an actual emergency, they should do what every other professional person does, and that is to have their staff come out and advise the patients that there has been an unavoidable delay. Staff should advise approximately how long the delay will be, so that patients can opt to either wait or reschedule.

Most doctor's office waiting times are due to overscheduling rather than emergencies. That's because of the profit motive. It's easier to overbook and make people wait instead of setting a realistic appointment schedule.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
So many possible reasons. It varies a lot from doctor to doctor as well. I would probably be willing to wait up to two hours just to give him/her the benefit of the doubt. Take something with you - sewing/reading/bill-paying, etc... it helps a lot to bring something useful to do while you wait. You could ask the receptionist to call your cell when your turn comes and go for a short walk maybe?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
One morning, a patient walked in at 9 a.m. and asked what time his appt was scheduled for; I told him it was scheduled for 10:30 a.m. He thanked me and said that was perfect because he had an errand he had to take care of and the timing would work out great.

A blabber-mouth coworker ran back and told the doctor, he in turn came out and in front of staff and patients yelled, "Who the HELL do you think you are sending one of my patients away?"

I explained the situation and that the patient would be returning at his appointed time.

The doctor again yelled, "You NEVER send anyone away, you should have told him that his appt was for the time he walked in the door and let him wait!!!"

I picked up my purse, walked out, and never looked back, and probably any patient within earshot never went back either.
Good choice. I would have done the same thing as you. Shocking!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I saw three doctors on TV discussing how their practices have changed and how it's just going to get worse in the future.

One quit being a doctor. She said she used to have to schedule her people for 15 MINUTE appointments to turn any profit whatsoever (like, profit as in simply paying the bills) ...then when she had to decrease it to 10 minute increments she threw in the towel. This did NOT include all the new WORK they have to do on the computer to document everything for the government online records. And did not include all the work she did at home after working all day in her practice.

Another one said the payments for government paid people have been so decreased so ridiculously, she cannot accept those patients anymore. She would be ALWAYS operating in the red.

The third one said she only stays in business by a thread and only because she is attached to her clients and doesn't want to leave them.
Very unfortunate. I blame the insurance companies for ruining health care and making it cost so damn much. They are nothing more than middle men skimming money off the top and wasting money on needless snail mail. Why much my insurance send me a report that is NOT A BILL via Snail Mail? Why must we have medical insurance companies. They are not in the health-care business, they are in the business of theft, as I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness