Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times

Advertisements

When possible I book the very first appointment of the day. My knee doctor is always running very late, so that's what I started doing and it's worked out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
I know that overbooking is an issue at some practices. Lots of patients flake out on their appointments and because of this, at some practices doctors are required to overbook their clinic so that there's as little downtime as possible. On the days when everyone DOES show up, the schedule becomes a huge mess.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
I always phone the doctor's office an hour before my appointment and ask if she's running behind. Once, I had an 11:30 appointment and discovered later that my doctor went to lunch at 12 and kept me waiting till 12:45 till she got back from lunch. I know doctors have to eat but it didn't make me feel good that her morning appointments ran into her lunch hour and I never actually got my lunch at all.

Doctors overbook all the time. I also don't believe they are at all concerned or bothered that our time is as valuable as theirs. I think many of them feel incredibly superior to the rest of us - try calling your doctor by his or her first name. We call our accountants and lawyers by their first names, why not doctors too? Anyway I need to stop my doctor rant sorry. It can get quickly out of control!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't believe those stories for a minute. I think they are politically motivated. I know too many doctors who live in more-than-comfortable homes, own multiple luxury automobiles, have their kids in private school, have country club memberships, and even own the buildings they work in. Certainly there ARE doctors who are not in the lap of luxury, but if so, they have CHOSEN to work at public clinics, teach, insist in working in over-saturated areas or specialties, or make some other choice that keeps them from earning what competent physicians are capable of netting in the U.S. today. I applaud people who aren't in medicine for the money but they are in a minority and they have options, unlike people in many other professions.
While I was with my doctor in the room, he took a cell from his mechanic as his porche broke down that morning. Totally rude!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I once went to a doctor....same thing happened.

I waited and waited..........then, 1 hours past my scheduled appointment the doctor tells me it would be another 45 minutes. Haha, he was pretty PI**ED when I told he I was leaving.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I know that overbooking is an issue at some practices. Lots of patients flake out on their appointments and because of this, at some practices doctors are required to overbook their clinic so that there's as little downtime as possible. On the days when everyone DOES show up, the schedule becomes a huge mess.
No, they aren't REQUIRED to. They CHOOSE to, so they can rake in all the money they think they deserve. If that inconveniences their patients, they don't care.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Then they should have a policy that you have to pay for the appointment......whether you show up or not......and strictly enforce it.

It is not right to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Last time I did that (leave after waiting for over an hour to be seen) I got fired from that doctor's office! How freakin RUDE of them! No common sense.
I guess he was not happy with a peon that didn't know his place.

The physician god complex is alive and well.

I never walked out because then I would have had to use two personal days instead of one.....but I sure as hell found another doctor.

Did the same when I had to take my father to the doctor.......if the waits were too long......found another doctor.

I will tolerate once in a blue moon......but if a long wait is a common occurrence? No way.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Maybe they forgot you. It happens.
Happened to me once many years ago. The receptionist found me as she was closing the place.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I can wait an hour or more with my doctor or i can be in and out quickly it all depends on what amount of time he devotes to patients he sees before me, some are quick some are slow.
My method to get around potential long waits is schedule my appointments to be the first patient of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness