Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times

Advertisements

I went to my doctor today,
before I've had to wait to for a little while but today was ridiculous

my appointment was at 8:45am, I got there at about 8:40am.
I waited in the waiting room for about 1/2 hour, the nurse took me inside and told me to sit down and waited.
I waited for a while and was getting impatient
When I heard the doctor telling somebody else as he was walking in another room "Good morning, how are you doing today?"
I looked at my clock, it was 9:45am. Already one hour and I was still waiting

Why does this happen?
When I was in the waiting room it was just me and a lady that showed up 5 minutes later and went in 5 minutes after arriving and left 10 minutes later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Maybe they forgot you. It happens.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Maybe he got delayed at the hospital making rounds. Maybe there was someone else there before you that was really ill, and they required more time? What if an abused woman asked him for help? Stuff happens...

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
We wait a long time to see our doctor because he spends endless time with each of his patients---including us. Nobody minds waiting because we all know he'll spend whatever amount of time it takes with us. I'm not exaggerating. He spent almost 2 hours with my son once. He normally spends about 45 minutes to an hour on average with any of my family members. A quick appointment is about 30 minutes face time with him. Some things are worth waiting for. My doctor is one of them.

I wouldn't wait for an average doctor though.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,934 times
Maybe the lady that arrived after you did had an urgent problem and was squeezed in. Who knows?

Next time, bring a book or an Ipad - something to do - and chill out. I really doubt that the doctor kept you waiting just because he wanted to annoy you.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
It could have been a few different things. One could have been that the dr wasn't even there yet when patients were supposed to have been being seen. I worked for a dr who would stroll in at 11 am with the first pt scheduled at 8:30. He did it every single day.

Second thing is someone may have forgotten to put your chart up to alert the nurse you were there, or the nurse could have forgotten to put the chart or flag up to alert the dr you were ready to be seen.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
Ann Landers once gave the advice to tell the desk that your time is worth x amount of dollars per hour and you expect to be reimbursed for your time.

Shortly afterwards, Ann Landers got a letter chastising that advice. A woman said she did just that at her long time family doctor and the next week received a letter from the clinic saying the doctor no longer wanted her as a patient.

She said she went back................begged and apologized..........and they " re-instated " her.

Ann Landers apologized and admitted that was the worst advice she ever gave.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I had a doctor that would do that all the time. I started leaving too, and finally convinced the girls to CALL me if the doctor was running late. Heck, my time is worth money too.

He may very well have legitimate reasons for running behind, but there is no excuse for them to not let me know.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
The problem with "being patient" is that some people actually have other things to do that day. I don't take a whole day off from work, when I have a doctor's appointment. I schedule my appointments early in the morning, OR late in the afternoon, so that my boss can still put me on the schedule for that day. If I have to wait 15 minutes, that's fine. I allow for that. I allow for a half hour of being late. After that though - the doctor is now running into time that I need to do things before I have to get to work. And that's when I get annoyed. At the very _least_ the receptionist should come in, tell me "The doctor is running around an hour late" and offer me the opportunity to a) reschedule or b) call my boss and ask if he can find someone to cover for me til I get there.

If I'm late for a doctor's appointment, they put the next patient in, and I lose my turn and have to reschedule. If that happens a second time, I'm charged for the visit that I didn't bother to show up for or reschedule.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness