Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post

BTW your medical records don't travel with you unless you send them from doctor to doctor.
not so sure about that any more, what with the new Health Exchanges with the ACA / obamacare. they centralize our records now and i think they are very easy access, no doubt there will be some court challenges regarding confidentiality soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Not true. HIV testing without consent is illegal in most if not all states. Law gives consent in certain situations, but they are very narrows inapplicable to your situation.

Maybe she was talking about blood donations, where all donated blood is tested for HIV.
no, this is a new thing, and it may be in some states but not others, i'm not sure. but yes now the standard is to test for HIV and maybe other things when drawing blood for routine checkups /testing. i read this recently, must have been a news service.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
no, this is a new thing, and it may be in some states but not others, i'm not sure. but yes now the standard is to test for HIV and maybe other things when drawing blood for routine checkups /testing. i read this recently, must have been a news service.
The CDC recommends that testing for HIV be a part of routine medical care:

Revised Recommendations for HIV Testing of Adults, Adolescents, and Pregnant Women in Health-Care Settings

However,

"Screening should be voluntary and undertaken only with the patient's knowledge and understanding that HIV testing is planned."

The format suggested is one in which the test would be done unless the patient "opts out".

In regards to payment, insurance companies can decide whether to provide coverage or not.

Medicare indications are liberal and include people with obvious high risk factors and everyone who specifically asks to be tested:

National Coverage Determination (NCD) for Screening for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection (210.7)

One commercial carrier includes HIV testing in its list of possible age appropriate tests:

http://www.meuhp.com/media/3920/bpm_...ecareflyer.pdf

The issue of confidentiality of computerized records is very real. Ideally, there should be no stigma attached to being tested for HIV. A positive result is something for which most people would prefer to control access tightly, however.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
And then as if this weren't enough to depress me thoroughly, my blood sugar is on the rise. I'm trying really hard to keep the faith and think positive but it's gotten really hard lately. Thank goodness my job keeps me completely busy.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
Your doctor marking high risk sexual behavior is not a comment on you. It is a way of describing having sex with someone who is not monogamous with you (even though it was not intentional on your part). It could be for insurance purposes as well (so you pay less for it). It is also a note in case unusual symptoms come up later that make him need to consider checking for STDs.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Cancer test was positive. Bummer. The family doc didn't even call to tell me--it fell to the doc who did the biopsy.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 PM

544 posts, read 610,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Cancer test was positive. Bummer. The family doc didn't even call to tell me--it fell to the doc who did the biopsy.

sorry to hear it stepka. I can't even imagine something like that, I hope this is something that can be resolved all the way and stuff, and that it makes you an even stronger, better person than you already are.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-14-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness