Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 11:01 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

Will be 82 in April....Just had a CT Scan and a Hida Scan and have been informed that my Gall Bladder is in "bad Shape" and has two "stones" in it ..(I "passed" one about 3 weeks ago). I am in "average health" for my age: I have had cancer surgery (prostate and part of bladder removed) 11 yrs ago; have a "leaky" aortic heart valve and take medication for high blood pressure, acid reflux & high cholestrol--the meds all are doing "their job": BP is 118/78---Cholestrol is 146 and the acid reflux is under control. I'm 5'9" and 182#..............................Given the above info, I would appreciate any comments from folks that have had their Gall Bladder removed by means of "ortho-scopic" surgery....

......Questions: 1/: How long for "total recovery'?
2/: What diet changes are required after Gall Bladder is gone?
3/: Any comments, suggestions, "tips" you would like to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Hello -

I just had mine removed on Friday, so other than saying the surgery seemed very easy and I have only been home just over 24 hours and feel good, I really can't be of much help, I suppose. From all that I've read, each person's experience varies due to age, other health conditions, surgeon and hospital, etc... They took really excellent care of me from start to finish. There were 5 very small incisions. I think normally there would only be four, but I needed a liver biopsy just to be sure because of my sonogram result which seemed to show some possible sclerosis of the liver. I am really glad to have the thing out - it was quite packed with stones and not doing me any good whatsoever. I am age 50. I had four natural live births and I would rather have gallbladder removed any day compared to the pain of childbirth!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
I have had a gallstone the size of a golf ball for many years and live with it fine. My doctors recommend and I have read to avoid having the gallbladder out unless necessary. For one thing, it is harder to control cholesterol and weight once it is out. Although common, it is also a moderately risky operation. The digestive duct tract has to be reattached to your liver. You didn't mention if you are in discomfort or not. Are you?

I avoid deep fried foods, limit my intake of red meat and consume more food with apple and grape, especially raw fruit and juices and cider.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
If u passed one couldn't u emulsify the rest and pass those also?

You know the malic acid diet for 3 days....apples and tomatoes...then the olive oil flush.

I am no doctor, so at 82 I would never have mentioned it except u said you passed one.

I know at 84 my mom had a little bit of a hard time....darn it.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
The invention of the laparoscopic surgery has been great. The recovery time and pain level is so much better. It has been a number of years since my surgery so I don't remember exactly how long it took to recover, but allow 2-3 weeks, although that will vary from person to person. You will be released from the hospital after just 1-2 days, your pain should not be too bad.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
If you need the surgery don't put it off. My late husband made that mistake. He was much younger than you are when he died of hemorrhagic pancreatitis which he contracted due to a badly inflamed gallbladder because he put off surgery for several months.

I know several people who have had the laproscopic gallbladdr removal and that itself was a very easy surgery. People don't take it nearly seriously enough. Don't wait.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 PM

14 posts, read 49,938 times
I just turned 22 and had mine removed 5 days ago and I feel fine. The first 2-3 days were uncomfortable but nothing to bad. I didn't even have stones it was just non functioning and inflamed. I chose to remove it because I didn't want to risk long term damage or potential other negative health effects it can cause. One of two things can happen with it being removed, one is you can eat food with no problem and two is your gonna have to use the rest room a little more often. If you think you can cope with surgery id say take it out. You'll only be out of commission for 1-3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness