U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM

683 posts, read 1,743,561 times

Advertisements

I have intermittent asthma that only bothers me on certain occassions, one of which happens to be when I am fairly active outside in the cold air. Normally this wouldn't be an issue because I limit my outdoor activities once the temperature starts to drop, however next month my company is moving to a new location and I will be parking anywhere from a few blocks to a half mile from the building. During the colder winter months, I am going to need to use my rescue inhaler every morning when I walk from the parking garage to the building. I don't want to have to use my inhaler on a regular basis and was wondering if a situation like this would qualify me for a handicap tag so I can park closer to the building. I don't want or need one year-round, so maybe a temporary tag would be available for me?

If any of you have experience with a situation like this, I would greatly appreciate your comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,313,750 times
Each State determines the specifics of handicap parking laws. The Federal government has -minimum- requirements, and the states add to it however they find appropriate. So even if the federal law says Asthma isn't covered unless the patient needs to carry an oxygen tank around with them, it's possible that the state provides for inhaler patients.

On the other hand - I doubt any state would accommodate inhaler patients. My sister carries an inhaler with her at all times, but just needing a prescription inhaler is not a criteria for qualifying for handicapped or disability status. Millions of people need inhalers and have particular trouble during certain months, or in certain climates. If the states had to accommodate all of them, there'd be more handicap parking spaces than there are non-handicap parking spaces, because there wouldn't be room in the parking lots for normal ones.

Just because you don't "want" to use your inhaler, doesn't mean you have the right to a special spot near the front of the store that might be better used by someone who needs the extra wide parking spot to accommodate their wheelchair.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM

I totally get what you are saying but personally would never use it for parking in front of a store that I could easily walk to from the other end of the parking lot. I would only use it for longer distances in cold weather that would trigger my asthma. Of course I understand that there is no way for any regulatory body to govern that, so can understand why it might not be allowed as it could easily be taken advantage of.

I would prefer not to have to use my inhaler on a regular basis (I don't like using any medication unless absolutely necessary) if the cause of my asthma symptoms could be controlled by other means, like limiting the distance I have to walk in cold weather. On the other hand, I know that there are many people with much worse disabilities who need a closer parking space more than I do.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,313,750 times
Think of it this way: You can always park in the parking space *next* to the handicapped parking space, assuming one is available. You can -also- park in the "Mothers with young kids" space, and you can park in the "Pickup Customers Only" space. Neither of those two are legally designated spaces and if they're vacant, the worst thing that can happen, is someone gives you a dirty look.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately my choices are one of three parking garages that vary in distance from three blocks to a half mile away from the building. Since I can't start my work day until 9 am, I will probably be stuck parking in the garage that is the fathest away since so many people get to work between 7 - 8:30 am. The handicapped parking in next to the building and a very short walk in comparison.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 PM

34,194 posts, read 37,705,425 times
I'd talk to your employer first and see if something can be arranged. I get what you are saying too, and I even have a friend who got a tag because of a condition unrelated to mobility, but deep down I really don't like they way we describe every diagnosis as a disability and have mentally drawn the "handicapped" line to people who really have serious mobility issues. Just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM

42,082 posts, read 55,041,358 times
All you need to get a handicap placard is to have your doctors approval. There are special papers to fill out, and if he agrees that you need the placard, he will sign the paper and you take it to the DMV and they'll issue you the placard. In our state and others I believe they have a permanent placard good for 5 years and renewable or temporary 6 month placards where you need to re-qualify through your doctor after the 6 month period to get another one.
In most cases the laws state that if you have difficulty walking more than 50 feet then if your doctor approves you'll get a handicap placard.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 AM

22,652 posts, read 23,298,664 times
Do think about this.
An inhaler is used so that you can get around in a normal manner.
If it works for you, do you really think it's fair to take away a spot from someone that has no alternative just because you don't "want" to use it?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,628,332 times
It does not appear that you would qualify for handicapped parking in NC. Here is the official site with the info for qualifying conditions. You can print out the application and see if your Doctor will sign off on it.

NCDOT: Handicapped Placards & Plates

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM

10,340 posts, read 23,183,396 times
I suggest you get to work earlier so you can get a better spot and take you time walking. If you cut it too close and have to rush, then you're going to have issues breathing. Asthma is not COPD, or CHF, it's asthma...easily controlled with the inhaler you 'don't' want to use.

And before you think about parking is spaces for "moms with kids" or "customer pick up only" remember, a parking lot is a private property and the business can have your car legally towed.(assuming they're where you're looking to park)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness