Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,868 times

Advertisements

I had been feeling under the weather for a few days, strange headaches, random chest pain and general discomfort.

I was feeling pretty bad at work the other day, it was hard to focus on the computer. Once I got up, I felt very dizzy, fell to the floor and passed out. I think I hit my head on the table because I have swelling.

I woke up in a hospital bed, just wearing a gown with more than one tube attached to my hand and arm. I took them off, got up to see if I could stand on my own. I could so I got my clothes that were in a bag right next to the bed, got dressed and went to the service desk.

I signed what I had to sign and I'll get the bill in the next few days.

I would like to know if besides the hospital expenses , they add a fine or some sort of penalty. Just so I'm counting on it.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
As far as I know, if you leave a hospital against medical advice, your insurance won't pay your hospital bill. If you're paying your bill yourself, as it sounds like you are, insurance isn't involved, so that issue won't come up.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
As far as I know, if you leave a hospital against medical advice, your insurance won't pay your hospital bill. If you're paying your bill yourself, as it sounds like you are, insurance isn't involved, so that issue won't come up.
Yes, I'm paying it myself. I just thought you get a fine in addition to the bill itself.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
However, now that I actually looked this issue up I find that my previous assumption about denial of insurance coverage may in fact be false:

Do patients pay when they leave against medical advice? - The University of Chicago Medicine

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
However, now that I actually looked this issue up I find that my previous assumption about denial of insurance coverage may in fact be false:

Do patients pay when they leave against medical advice? - The University of Chicago Medicine
Thank you. That only matters to people who have insurance, though.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Answer is no fine, but since you're paying out of pocket be prepared for a whopping big bill. If the hospital had some meds already prepared or other services prepared for your appointed stay, they may tack those fees on too.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Answer is no fine, but since you're paying out of pocket be prepared for a whopping big bill. If the hospital had some meds already prepared or other services prepared for your appointed stay, they may tack those fees on too.
It's okay, I'm counting on a big bill. And I only stayed for like 6 hours, can't imagine if I had stayed for a day.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM

59 posts, read 76,010 times
No, you didn't broke any law so you don't have to be fined for anything.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opway View Post
It's okay, I'm counting on a big bill. And I only stayed for like 6 hours, can't imagine if I had stayed for a day.
Be prepared to pay for a full day. What ended up being the problem? Did you get a diagnosis? And how did you end up in the hospital? Were you brought by ambulance?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Be prepared to pay for a full day. What ended up being the problem? Did you get a diagnosis? And how did you end up in the hospital? Were you brought by ambulance?
I don't know what the problem was, the only person I spoke to was a nurse so I could sign the papers . Yes, I was brought by ambulance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness