U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM

11,820 posts, read 23,851,534 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Anyone done any research on how long your ancestors lived?

Male ancestors average life expectancy:
Gen 1: Grandfathers 78.5 (range: 78 to 79)
Gen 2: G Grandfathers 75 (range: 51 to 78)
Gen 3: G G Gr 70.5 (range: 48 to 97)
Gen 4: G G G Gr 63.6 (range: 38 to 91)

I'm still gathering info on my female lines. I'm male and was just diagnosed with high cholesterol so I wanted to see when my dudes start dropping dead. Looks like I have at least a few years hopefully!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,993,950 times
My mom is 90 and my dad is 92. Neither exercised a day in their lives. My dad has always been overweight. I (52) have been exercising regularly for 45 years.
My grandparents died pretty young, probably in their 40s and 50s.

Interesting you were able to get all that information. My grandparents came over from Poland just before WWI and it is really hard to get info from that era and country.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,631,330 times
Sorry to disappoint (?) but your cholesterol has very little to do with your health but a lot to do with the pharmacists wealth.
Your general health and what you eat is more important.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 PM

25,546 posts, read 25,401,800 times
When you look at your family tree, as I have, interesting things come to light.

On one side, there was a history of people dying young. In about 1840 a boy from that line who actually lived to adulthood got married and had three children before HE died at age 27 of "palpitations of the heart while working in the fields."

The woman he married, however, had parents who lived into old age and about 10 siblings who lived to old age. She lived to be 90--back in those days!

I think it's a result of her genes that all three children lived into their late 60s, early 70s.

One son married a woman who died youngish--but it could have been due to terrible air pollution where they lived in the industrial north of England. Their two oldest children died in their teens.

Their other children lived to be in their mid 70s. One, my grandfather, married a woman who lived to be nearly 100!

Their children all lived into their 90s.

In the past, at least, a lot of health and life expectancy was dependent upon nature and what you inherited. There were people of a very strong constitution who would live to old age no matter WHAT they ate or HOW they lived. The weak were weeded out and didn't live long enough to reproduce.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 AM

42,705 posts, read 56,979,801 times
Researching family history, genealogy, I find that I'm already living past the oldest recorded life span in both sides of the family. My fate is in someone's hands now.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM

14,545 posts, read 20,081,607 times
Dad, his father died in his fifties, mom lived into the 90's. One of his sisters died at one hundred and most lasted into the eighties. I'm not sure about the previous generation at the moment.

Mom, her mom's family... her grandfather either was killed by indians or died in a mine cave in. He mom was in her late seventies. Mom died from a burst anurism at 62. I don't know much about her family back further yet. But grandma's half siblings all but a few lived to their eighties. I actually knew many of them as a teenager. They all smoked and lived in heavy smog and ate a traditional midwest diet and still lasted to the eighties.

Her dad's family...

My grandfather died at 90. His father at 91. His father was born a year before the civil war and ended up in Los Angeles. His first wife died very young, and he married her grand neice. she was in her seventies when she passed. Going back the men seemed to generally live long lives, but my five x great grandfather came as a convict on a slave ship in 1719 (the convict trade was run by the companies who also ran the slave trade), and spend eleven years of forced labor. Then he took off to Kentucky, married and eventullly ended up in Pensulvania with a farm. After all that he too lived to 91.

I have every expectation to have a fair amount of years left. No smoking for me too. Dad died of cancer from smoking and mom had emphasima so bad she couldn't lay down and still be able to breath.

My grandfather came within months of 91. Seems to be a recuring theme in his line.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,578,634 times
dad died at 93, never paid any attention to what he ate, except to enjoy every bite and was still hunting and fishing until about a year before he had a stroke at 92.

His sister died at 83

His mom: 91

None of them were really overweight, but certainly not thin and none were on many meds, including cholesterol reducing drugs.

Mom's family did have some weight problems but they too lived to be in their 80s and 90s except for my mom and her dad. Mom died at 60, she was an alcoholic. Her dad died in his early 70s from lung related problems. Because he was very poor and rarely saw a doctor I don't know what it was, but probably COPD. Her mom, who was all of 5 ft tall and had to weigh 200 lbs died of heart trouble: how old? 86.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,296,958 times
My mother's doctor told me that one can expect to live ten years longer than their mother, presuming natural causes, because you inherit your longevity from your mother. My mother died at 98, so I guess that means 108 for me. My sister is 81 and not showing any signs of aging at all -- no memory issues, and still dos all her own yard work and snow shoveling.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-27-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,951,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My mother's doctor told me that one can expect to live ten years longer then their mother, presuming natural causes, because you inherit your longevity from your mother. My mother died at 98, so I guess that means 108 for me.
Oh lord, I am heading to 103. My[plan was to work until 84 or 85, maybe I need to think about 90 now.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 PM

18,475 posts, read 39,240,637 times
My paternal grandfather died in a VA hospital in his late 30's. He was in WW2 and had an injury to his pancreas, ended up with diabetes and both legs amputated. I've always wondered if he still would have died young hadn't he had the injury (he was also an alcoholic). My Dad is now 57.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness