Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

My elderly father, who turned 85 last month, has fallen 5x times in the last 2 wks. (One time was at a restaurant.) The falls didn't seem serious, but who knows what's happened internally. He was officially diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's about a year ago. It's just him & my mom who live together in a 2-story home. My mom's struggled to get him up after his falls, but has managed so far, but she doesn't have the strength to lift his full body weight.

She said he really started talking "crazy" the last couple of days, which doesn't help with the falling issue. For example, he stopped driving yrs ago, but talked about whether he parked the car correctly. Then, he asked my mom if she sees "that boy", yet there are no kids around, on TV, etc.

I can't always just drop everything & run to help them.

My mom doesn't really know what her next step should be.

What have you guys done when your elderly parents started getting this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:09 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
My mother had dementia and used to fall easily. At one point she fell in the bathroom at night and fractured one of her hips. If he has gotten worse very recently, which it sounds like he has, he should be checked out by his physician. It is possible he has had a mild stroke or something like that. Also, does he walk with a walker? If not he might need to. That will give him something to hold onto and stabilize himself. You do not want a man that age falling, too big a chance of a broken hip and then that is usually the beginning of the end for an elderly person.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
I have a friend who is in his 60's and has numerous health problems. He recently began to fall a lot, injuring himself. The doctors said it was his heart. It's not pumping well enough and he is having episodes of not getting enough blood to the brain which is causing him to fall. He needs a by-pass but they won't do it as they have doubts that he would survive it. However, they did put in a stent which has helped matters.

Elderly fall for various reasons. He needs to be seen by his doctor to find out what is going on.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Has he had his hearing checked, that's where your balance control starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness