Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Going with the flow, with a bit of childlike wonder thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
It's called being happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
OK, there's this feeling that I get every once in a while in certain situations, and I feel *certain* that other people must get it too in similar situations. But I've never been able to describe it well or research it well enough to successfully talk about it or find a name or description of it or anything like that.

There are some smart people on these boards, so I'm hoping you could help me figure out more about it, or else there might at least be others out there who get the same feeling sometimes and will know exactly what I am talking about.

OK, so here goes. This feeling is a wonderful, warm, blissful, uplifting feeling. It's like there's a pocket of warm, soothing helium in my stomach and it's lifting me up out of my chair when I feel it.

Now here's the funny part. Here are some examples of the situations I have felt this feeling in:

Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Does 'euphoria' describe it for you?
Euphoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
"floating sensation" has to do with anxiety. Alot of people have this sensation at various times in their lives.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I'm just trying to give as many examples as possible. I know Napoleon Dynamite is a ridiculous movie, but there's a chance this character is feeling the same thing I feel:

Napoleon Dynamite Uncle Rico's Official Photo - YouTube
I was thinking of the same exact thing

Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
It feels good, it's harmless, it's delicious - have fun with it and don't worry about what to call it!

I think I know what you're talking about. I've felt something like that whey I've:

1. Found a litter of kittens that my cat had when I was out of town for a couple of days

2. Watched my granddaughter enjoying kiddie rides at her first fair

3. Really listened to a stranger who was telling me something that was very interesting or exciting to them - you know, supporting them emotionally whether it really interested me or not

4. Given someone who was "down" a sincere compliment and watched their eyes light up

5. Sat very still as a hummingbird hovered so close to me that I could see it in great detail

6. Caught a whiff of some sort of flowering bush that reminded me of childhood summers

7. Listened to James Taylor singing Christmas carols in a room lit only by candles and Christmas tree lights

For me, it ties directly into finding the delight in very small, commonplace moments and being able to grasp that joy, wonderment, contentment, etc and really hold on to it and savor it - APPRECIATION in other words.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It feels good, it's harmless, it's delicious - have fun with it and don't worry about what to call it!

I think I know what you're talking about. I've felt something like that whey I've:

1. Found a litter of kittens that my cat had when I was out of town for a couple of days

3. Really listened to a stranger who was telling me something that was very interesting or exciting to them - you know, supporting them emotionally whether it really interested me or not

4. Given someone who was "down" a sincere compliment and watched their eyes light up

5. Sat very still as a hummingbird hovered so close to me that I could see it in great detail

6. Caught a whiff of some sort of flowering bush that reminded me of childhood summers

7. Listened to James Taylor singing Christmas carols in a room lit only by candles and Christmas tree lights

For me, it ties directly into finding the delight in very small, commonplace moments and being able to grasp that joy, wonderment, contentment, etc and really hold on to it and savor it - APPRECIATION in other words.
Yes!! Practising gratitude helps as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Going with the flow, with a bit of childlike wonder thrown in.
I agree, but being an adult it's like a calming, mild, euphoria. I feel that way when I'm painting, or drawing.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 AM

194 posts, read 635,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Yes! You seem to get the feeling in the same types of moments I do. Especially, #2, 3 and 4 on your list. I don't have kids or even grandkids, but I can easily imagine that I will feel this feeling watching my kid or grandkid enjoy the kiddie rides at the fair.

For those who are telling me I'm trying too hard to put a label on it, there's a reason I am so obsessed with figuring this out. It's because to me, this might just be the best feeling in the world. And yet it's hard to describe, explain, or create. As you can see, some people don't even know what I'm talking about or else don't get the same feeling.

The reason I want to figure out more about it is that I have always hoped to find some real information on a website, forum, etc. to interact with others and find out more about what triggers this and everything like that.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 PM

60 posts, read 286,442 times
Sounds like contentedness to me You will be a good mom someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness