U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM

652 posts, read 2,090,074 times

Advertisements

I've had a wart on my knuckle for several years now.
I've had it removed by a doctor three times already.
I'm having a different doctor remove it this time.
It was frozen off the first few times. The last time I had it done the doctor did it so much I thought my hand was gonna fall off. I DID ask him in all fairness to really pound it good that time cause I was sick of it reapearing.

Didn't help...it came back a cpl of months later.
Anyone know how to get rid of these things for good short of cutting my hand off...lol?

I heard someone suggest that the doctor is supposed to do it... then have you back shortly after to do it again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,683,446 times
If you get a answer I would like to hear it. I have one that I have had frozen once, burned off twice and it still came back. Been fighting this one 3 or 4 years now. Like you, I told her the last time to keep going, burn it deeper and wider, make sure to get it all... It's still there and growing...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Well...my appts for Wednesday...I 'm gonna have to give this doc a good talkin' to.
I'll let you know what happens.
I'm going to ask him about what I heard....that you need to come back shortly after it gets done to get it done again to hit the root once the top is all off.
How pleasant...echhhh.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 PM

2,068 posts, read 6,130,477 times
I had 2 plantars warts on my feet and tried everything. I did the freezing (both at the doctors and with the home kit) and OTC medicine. Then I would cut them down until it bled with a razorblade and repeat. Sorry, that is gross, but true, I was determined, this went on for about over a year. The things seemed to come back bigger within a few days. Then I heard you should try duct tape. Seriously. I put about 1" square patches of duct tape over each one and left it for 3-4 days. Then I would take it off and scrape away the dead skin and put a new piece on. They were gone within a few weeks and several months later, they still haven't come back. I realize that being on your knuckle is tough though, because you don't want to answer questions about the duct tape on your hand all day, but maybe you can cover it with a band-aid.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 6,130,477 times
By the way, the doctor told me there was no evidence that the duct tape "trick" works. Yet, it was the only thing that worked for me and I have heard from several other people it is the only thing that worked for them.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,404,629 times
Too bad my grandfather is no longer around, because he could remove it for you.

Now, I know you're going to find this strange, but I swear it's the truth. People would come from all around to get him to remove their warts. And, he even removed one (big, ugly one) off of my hand when I was a child.

How, you ask? Well, for mine, he held my hand in one of his, and simply rubbed the wart with his other hand for a few minutes! Whether he repeated some sort of mantra, prayer, whatever, to himself, I do not know. What I do know is that they would gradually fade away, never to return!

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Because, I still would like to know how he did it myself!

Witchy, witchy!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,114,834 times
I would do the duct tape and not just a bandaid. There may be something in the sticky part of the duct tape that causes them to go away. I had one as a kid, and I used to rub it against a school text book cover, and it went away. I have no idea why.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,805,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
By the way, the doctor told me there was no evidence that the duct tape "trick" works. Yet, it was the only thing that worked for me and I have heard from several other people it is the only thing that worked for them.
Here's a news story...
Duct Tape Therapy, Study Says Duct Tape Effective For Removing Warts - CBS News

And here's the article they reference...
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med -- The Efficacy of Duct Tape vs Cryotherapy in the Treatment of Verruca Vulgaris (the Common Wart), October 2002, Focht III et al. 156 (10): 971

Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 AM

I actually tried that several years ago nd it "sort of" worked but for me no where near as close as cryotheropy (freezing/burning). Either way...it came back but this is a bad one I have.
I've read that beneath the wart the root of it is usually twice the size of what you see on top.
Who knows.....all I know is I'm going to have it done yet again today with a different doctor this time

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 AM

7,100 posts, read 24,943,437 times
Years ago, my son had one on his foot. The dermatologist put some sort of salve and a WATER PROOF bandage on his foot with instructions to keep it sealed and dry for a while. I think it was a week or more.....don't remember.

Anyway. It worked! Maybe the duct tape works the same way if you keep it on for a while with no fresh air getting to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness