U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,439,357 times

Advertisements

I hope nobody has a boil like the one on this horse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoV6...eature=related
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 AM

I've been up late reading about boils. When you get one, you want to keep it covered with hot, wet compresses. You can also use green tea bags as compresses. Keep doing these each day, up to 15 minutes at a time, until the skin on the top of the boil get thinner. Eventually the boil will come to a heat. When this happens, it is best to let the boil drain naturally. Keep the area clean with soap and water, otherwise the bacteria can spread to create more boils. Wash your hands. - greenie

Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 AM

636 posts, read 2,623,952 times
Get tested for MRSA. My son went to the ER for a boil last week. He's never had one and it was a big, nasty thing. It tested positive for MRSA and he was put on Bactrim. It was lanced and drained and a wick was inserted.

If you're MRSA positive, you've got to get on an antibiotic and have the boil treated by a doctor.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,116,041 times
I had two bott flies in my head that had to be surgically removed, and one had laid eggs, which also had to be removed. They could have killed me. But these are only in Mexico and South America that I know of. Maybe they are in other countries.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM

171 posts, read 782,265 times
These boils are extremely painful. They are between the legs in an area that is hard to bandage and hard to walk from the rubbing together. I just had my third one (this yr.) taken off yesterday. The Dr. cut it out and along with extra tissue. He said he had to get the wall out in order for it not to come back. So It is bleeding and draining today and I am not walking too good. It is a pretty good size hole there to heal up.

I am male. I thought if there is anything I should be doing I would listen to any of your advice on this.

It does look something like the picture.This one came on me suddenly. I thought after the last lancing by the Dr. I would not have any more But I did.

I have had no antibiotics. I usuallly put hot cloths from water and epson salts on the boil (before lancing). I have only had one break open from that. For some time I just waited and in time they will go away but you can feel the seed of them under tht skin. I have had somewhere between 8-10 boils in the past two years in the same area. I never had them before that.

I just this year started to go to the Dr. for cutting them out. This time it has hurt even more. I guess I won't die, but I would sure like to get rid of them for good. This wound is even painful this time.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM

144 posts, read 772,673 times
Nikos...thanks for the update and the gender clarification.

Hope you're feeling better today. I'm very surprised that didn't give you an antibotic for this...especially since it's now an open wound. Was this a general MD you saw? It might be time to see a dermo and get to the root of these buggers....what a pain for you.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Oh, god. That sounds so painful. As Milabs suggested, you might want to see a dermatologist. Other than that, makes sure you keep the area very clean. Wear clean clothes and sleep on clean sheets. It sounds like bacteria is getting in through small abrasions in the skin (maybe from chaffing?) and infecting some already clogged hair follicles. You may want to every night wipe that area down with alcohol. When I had a facial peel onetime, I got a staph infection on my face! I had inadvertently gotten bacteria in my face somehow. I had to sterilize everything. And this is the main thing you have to do. You have to make sure you keep that area very, very clean.

Greenie

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,326,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
These boils are extremely painful. They are between the legs in an area that is hard to bandage and hard to walk from the rubbing together. I just had my third one (this yr.) taken off yesterday. The Dr. cut it out and along with extra tissue. He said he had to get the wall out in order for it not to come back. So It is bleeding and draining today and I am not walking too good. It is a pretty good size hole there to heal up.

I am male. I thought if there is anything I should be doing I would listen to any of your advice on this.

It does look something like the picture.This one came on me suddenly. I thought after the last lancing by the Dr. I would not have any more But I did.

I have had no antibiotics. I usuallly put hot cloths from water and epson salts on the boil (before lancing). I have only had one break open from that. For some time I just waited and in time they will go away but you can feel the seed of them under tht skin. I have had somewhere between 8-10 boils in the past two years in the same area. I never had them before that.

I just this year started to go to the Dr. for cutting them out. This time it has hurt even more. I guess I won't die, but I would sure like to get rid of them for good. This wound is even painful this time.
Is he going to take a sample of the drainage and send it to a lab to see what germ is present? Did he put gauze or some sort of wick in the wound to help with the drainage? Did you get ANY instructions????? Did he say why he wasn't starting you on an antibiotic? In any case, keep the area clean (and shower) using Hibiclens, warm moist heat, and you should be following up with the doc at least every other day, if not more.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,624,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post

Nikos;
Sorry you are having such a hard time with this. I'm not feeling too comfortable with the way the physician , He seems to be too cavalier. You may want to change or go to the ER; and get a better look at this, I don't know how this will affect you financially though, But this doc seems to be treating this as a adolescent's pimple"!! It's unbelievable. Maybe he's doing the best as far as his area of practice goes, but this doesn't add up; You are supposed to be on an antibiotic; or a culture at least as someone else mentioned in their post.
It's wise right now to get a second opinion; But at the ER they will probably lance culture and lavage and refer you to a surgeon. But i'm concerned that you have not been on any type of antibiotics. at least to prevent spreading into your bloodstream ; can result in a blood poisoning called "sepsis" ,
But it wouldn't be a bad idea to rule out these possibilities, Also try " tea tree" shampoo (generic brand of Paul Mitchell) found in Walmart's beauty salon. Once i used it for an outbreak of acne (pseudofolliculitis) fancy word for ingrown hairs around the beard, it's almost similar to what you have without the boils; It is multipurpose; And there ingredients to soothe the irritation around and on the boils area and will not burn or sting like alcohol and other chemical agents; have you been tested for diabetes mellitus? or a compromised immune system? anyway load up on plenty immune boosting supplements, stress can also be a factor, it all ties in together. so juice it us with lots of veggie and fruit juices, vitamin C, B, niacin....
Well let us know how you're doing; hope you feel better today.
p.s. if you wear white on black speedos (spandex) that should prevent friction from the inner thighs making contact; I've tried and it's works fine excellent.
I know that i've asked a lot of questions, sorry trying to help
God Bless

Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 AM

428 posts, read 2,288,672 times
I do agree the OP should take something for the immune system, as it is working hard.

I don't know if I'd recommend wearing tight-fitting clothes, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness