U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM

171 posts, read 782,305 times

Advertisements

No, the Doctor didn't take any sample. No antibiotics. He put a dressing on it and told me to change it the next day. He told me to wash the wound with antibiotic soap when I shower and put peroxide on it and keep it covered with bandage.

He is a reputable surgeon in this area and well liked by everyone I have talked to. I had to change the bandage yesterday as there was quite a bit of bleeding. As I write this, it does not seemed to have bled overnight. He said it would take a couple of weeks before it would start to heal, but when it starts to heal, it will heal fast and the wound will close up. It is a lot deeper wound than I had on the previous two, but he was trying to get the wall, as he called it, out. I will change it each day and cleanse it.

Thanks for the advice and questions. Any more thoughts are always welcome!

From Nikos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,478,499 times
My husband suffers with boils on his inner thighs as you describe. In his case, he has a lawncare business, so he is exposed to lots of dirt and grease in hot weather, plus his thighs are very large and chafe.

He did not get a boil this past summer at all - once his were healed up (I used the hot compresses mentioned above to "draw it out" and used tea tree oil on the area to prevent infection - it worked beautifully), I found a product called 'Bodyglide' at the bicycle shop. It is a roll-on product to prevent chafing and my husband uses it when he is working.
Obviously you shouldn't use anything until it is completely healed, but here is a website for what I got him (the anti-chafing kind): BODYGLIDE / Prevention Is Better Than A Cure

Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,625,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
No, the Doctor didn't take any sample. No antibiotics. He put a dressing on it and told me to change it the next day. He told me to wash the wound with antibiotic soap when I shower and put peroxide on it and keep it covered with bandage.

He is a reputable surgeon in this area and well liked by everyone I have talked to. I had to change the bandage yesterday as there was quite a bit of bleeding. As I write this, it does not seemed to have bled overnight. He said it would take a couple of weeks before it would start to heal, but when it starts to heal, it will heal fast and the wound will close up. It is a lot deeper wound than I had on the previous two, but he was trying to get the wall, as he called it, out. I will change it each day and cleanse it.

Thanks for the advice and questions. Any more thoughts are always welcome!

From Nikos
I'm glad that you are getting better and that you have found solace and so much support. from people who care
Take Care

Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 AM

23 posts, read 125,236 times
Try using epsom salt in your shower..
It should start helping....

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM

171 posts, read 782,305 times
How do you use epsom salts in a shower? Do you mean use a mixture of ES and water and then rinse?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,789,662 times
Just something to think about....

I just saw a story on the news about a lady who was infected with MRSA. She can not get rid of it, it is in her blood. It presents itself every once in awhile with boils. She has tried all kinds of antibiotics and none are working...

Maybe you should get a blood test just to be sure you don't have a serious problem going on....

Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,217,646 times
Once when I had a kind of a boil the doctor took a urine sample as he said it can be a sign of diabetes.

I hope that isn't the case with you, but it might be worth asking your doc if he should be checking your blood sugar.

If anyone ever gets a dark or black spot or line in or near a boil or any infected skin, get to ER or your doc IMMEDIATELY as it can be a sign of blood poisoning and needs very urgent attention.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,672,899 times
I feel sorry for you! my husband is just healing up from the the mount vesuvius of boils! i never saw anything so huge and gross in my whole life. he was on antibiotics for two full weeks. it is finally..flat and healed..It first reared its ugly self toward the end of january. It was just terrible. I think it could come from infected-ingrown hairs. my husband is on the hairy side!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Try using epsom salt in ur bath.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Its easier to soak in the bathtub with it but you could yes mix with water and rinse over
the affected areas. Should ease them some and start disappearing. My husband has problems with them, thats what he does. He plays lots of sports and is outdoors and
sweats alot. It shouldnt burn ....thats what he was worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness