Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Many of us are quick to complain about the treatment that we receive from doctors and other health care providers. However, my question for you is are you a good patient? Let me give some examples:

1. Do you always arrive at appointments on time or call ahead if something is delaying you?

2. When asked to provide a medical history to the doctor or his assistant do you give them an accurate, succinct history without going into excessive detail? I often think through exactly what I intend to tell the doctor before I arrive at his/her office so that I can relate all pertinent information, but get to the point rapidly.

3. If you are seeing the doctor for multiple health conditions do you tell the receptionist that when you make an appointment? It will help them judge how long of an appointment you need, and perhaps keep others from waiting.

4. Do you follow your doctor's advice and recommendations? This is self-explanatory. However, some people don't and wonder why their condition isn't getting better.

5. Do you make sure the office has good insurance information on file? This would mean you have an insurance card with you and keep these things updated. Much time is spent by offices trying to bill the wrong insurance because you have changed jobs or insurance plans.

6. Are you polite when you talk to the doctor and his staff? Sick people can be grumpy and some of this is expected. However, I have repeatedly found that even when I'm ill if I smile and act considerate of the doctor and his time that I get better service.

7. Do you make your co-payment at the office and pay the non-insurance charges on your bill timely? Collection issues account for too much of a medical office's time. These are time and resources that could be used to treat patients.

*Note. I do not work for a doctor. I am not married to a doctor. I have no connection to the health care industry at all. However, I have seen all of the problems I have described above. All of these problems contribute to rising health care costs and medical practices that have to close or consolidate to stay in business.

Patients expect health care practitioners to be at the "top of their game". We should reciprocate by doing our part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness