Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:33 AM

513 posts, read 736,733 times

Advertisements

my husband's best friend did not use deodorant and claimed his body odor was not offensive. (It was!) He bathed (I assume) and thought that was all he needed. My husband finally told him, yes, you do need deodorant, too. I used to see him put his arm around his girlfriend and wonder how she could stand his BO. I could smell him just standing a few feet away.

Another time I worked in a shoe store and this very clean-looking, nicely-groomed, well-dressed young lady came in--but when she took her shoes off, she had eye-watering foot odor and I'm not exaggerating. It was all I could do not to draw back as a reflex. I can only assume she had a health problem or excessive foot perspiration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
I don't think they always do. It'd be nice if there were a tactful way to let people know without offending them or being the bad guy. If I stunk I would want someone to tell me lol.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Someone mentioned the onion smell- I notice this a lot with people who must often eat spicy foods (or onions, I guess)- the smell comes directly from their breath, not oozing out of their pores- and I always wonder if they know they stink so badly? I am so sensitive to that, I can smell it on someone from a 5 or 6 foot radius, that terrible onion/spicy breath smell- how do these people not notice? If I have bad breath I can always notice it right away, do others not pay attention to their own smells? And how can they handle close relationships (if they ever need to get close, face to face with someone of the opposite sex- that person will be brought to tears with that smell!)

Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
Years ago, I shared an office with a young lady who had inflammatory breast cancer - the lumps showed through her skin. She smelled bad because of her disease and although her doctor gave her antibiotics to control the odor, it was still pretty bad. The odor gave me a headache but there was nothing she or I could do about it. I sprayed Lysol in the morning and kept flowers on my desk but I felt nauseous every day from the smell of her. My point is, you never know if someone smells bad because of an illness so don't be so quick to assume they have poor hygiene habits.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
As for telling people about their body odor, I guess it all depends on each person and if you know them well or not. People will not react nicely to strangers telling them they smell whereas if a friend or relative told them, they'd probably be more receptive.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I met a woman once that was a cat hoarder, and she smelled like cat poop! Just standing next to her was like sticking your nose into a litter box. Anytime I see her now I keep my distance.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I once went to work, no shower, worked all day, went to the gym, sweated like a race horse while training, and when I was done, I knew I smelled like a monkey.

So, yes, I think these people know. But it does not bother them.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do people with really bad body odor know they are giving off a really offensive odor? Is there a polite way to tell them that they should practice better or more frequent personal hygiene?
I don't think they realize because they are used to the smell. I noticed I smelled bad one day and realized I had forgot to use deodorant. If I stopped using deodorant, I'm sure I would get used to the smell and not notice it.

A guy who I had gone through an Army training program with once came to visit me and stayed for a few days. He had a severe problem with body odor and I tried to casually mention it to him. He just laughed about it and didn't take it seriously. It seemed his idea of taking a shower was to rinse off without using soap. He would then splash some after shave on and he thought he was good to go. The smell was so bad that I couldn't ride in a car with him without keeping the windows down.

I've met a few guys over the years who have this problem. They all tend to be guys who don't care about their appearance. They would have greasy hair, wrinkled clothes, ties with stains, etc. I've seen guys who would wear the same dress shirt to work every day for a week or longer.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You obviously don't like Italian subs from a sandwich shop as you just described the smell. It doesn't stink, it has it's own unique quality. Have you ever smelled cumin? It's sort of the same thing. You would never eat chili again if you knew it was in there. Some cheeses are out there as well.
What I think is obvious is that you have no idea whether the odor I describe stinks or doesn't stink. You are clueless as to what I think stinks. How in any possible world would YOU know whether I would never eat chili again? I often see dumb conclusions in internet forums or anywhere else, but your post takes the cake as one of the silliest.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 AM

317 posts, read 474,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where on earth do all you people find these stinky people? I can't remember the last time I noticed that anybody had an offensive body odor, but I sure encounter a lot of peopple who stink the place up with offensive after-shave or perfume, or practically gag from a room with a Glade plug-in.
This x 2. The hygiene/cleaning products I use are all unscented and as a result, I REALLY notice the perfumes present in enclosed spaces or on other people.

Fabric softener is the worst. Whenever I encounter someone whose clothes are doused in gallons of fabric softener, it's enough to make my throat constrict and my eyes water. Sometimes, it's so heavy that I can almost feel the greasy film of their fabric softener coating me just from being near them!

I'd rather be in an elevator with someone with B.O. than with someone whose B.O. is covered up with the overpowering, cloying stench of a Glade Plug-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness