Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

I sampled the sweet potato pie mixture I was making for Christmas. It had a couple of raw eggs in it. 12 hours later I was violently ill. Almost visit to the Emergency Room ill.

I've eaten raw cookie dough many times. Have made health shakes with raw eggs over the years. Never got sick. This time, though, Salmonella struck. Googling finds this is becoming more common from eggs. And you can't tell an egg is infected from looking at it, or smelling it...looks and smells normal.

Please, please, I wouldn't wish this poisoning on anyone!

Please, do not sample any mixtures, food items with raw eggs.

And if you're preparing raw chicken, keep a separate cutting board for it...cross-contamination from cutting boards that have had raw chicken on them is a real possibility.

Me, lesson learned.

You? Maybe you can prevent what I had. I'm just about recovered,, but this Salmonella Purge Diet is not recommended for weight loss, believe me!

Be most well in 2014!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
You can buy pasteurized eggs, if you want to sample your batter and still be safe They cost about double what regular eggs do.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I sampled the sweet potato pie mixture I was making for Christmas. It had a couple of raw eggs in it. 12 hours later I was violently ill. Almost visit to the Emergency Room ill.

I've eaten raw cookie dough many times. Have made health shakes with raw eggs over the years. Never got sick. This time, though, Salmonella struck. Googling finds this is becoming more common from eggs. And you can't tell an egg is infected from looking at it, or smelling it...looks and smells normal.

Please, please, I wouldn't wish this poisoning on anyone!

Please, do not sample any mixtures, food items with raw eggs.

And if you're preparing raw chicken, keep a separate cutting board for it...cross-contamination from cutting boards that have had raw chicken on them is a real possibility.

Me, lesson learned.

You? Maybe you can prevent what I had. I'm just about recovered,, but this Salmonella Purge Diet is not recommended for weight loss, believe me!

Be most well in 2014!!
I'm sorry you were sick. I haven't eaten anything with raw eggs in years although I used to love cake batter when I was a kid and don't recall ever getting sick from it. So much better than the actual cake!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Sorry, I'm chemically blond, but how does it get inside the egg shell?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Sorry, I'm chemically blond, but how does it get inside the egg shell?

Raw eggs. While an egg's shell may seem to be a perfect barrier to contamination, some infected chickens produce eggs that contain salmonella before the shell is even formed. Raw eggs are used in homemade versions of mayonnaise and hollandaise sauc

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I eat raw eggs all the time.

I have read that 70-80% of the contamination is on the SHELL.....not inside the egg. So what I do is just wash the shell off really good before cracking....never had a problem......YMMV.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I eat raw eggs all the time.

".... 70-80% of the contamination is on the SHELL.....not inside the egg. So what I do is just wash the shell off really good before cracking....never had a problem......YMMV.
Sorry to disagree...and I never had a problem, either, until...

A recent article said that one out of 10,000 eggs harbors Salmonella--inside the egg. CDC Features - Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Salmonella from Eggs It comes out that way from the chicken and you can't tell..it looks and seems like a healthy egg.

I've eaten raw cookie and cake mixtures all my life...until the morning after Christmas. If you're betting person, you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of not getting salmonella. But oh, that 10,001 egg was a doozy!! I learned my lesson.

Maybe soaking or scrubbing your eggshells with a disinfectant will improve your odds, but how many people are willing to do that?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:

A recent article said that one out of 10,000 eggs harbors Salmonella--inside the egg. CDC Features - Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Salmonella from Eggs It comes out that way from the chicken and you can't tell..it looks and seems like a healthy egg.

I've eaten raw cookie and cake mixtures all my life...until the morning after Christmas. If you're betting person, you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of not getting salmonella. But oh, that 10,001 egg was a doozy!! I learned my lesson.

Maybe soaking or scrubbing your eggshells with a disinfectant will improve your odds, but how many people are willing to do that?

sorry you got SO ill LD
It's like a game of roulette I suppose. I've always eaten the batter of brownies and cake and in fact prefer the batter and I have not gotten ill-YET!! Good chance I will.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
...until you had corporate food.

I just had raw eggs Thursday. 2 raw eggs, add a little cream to make a beautiful pale yellow color, some Parmesan, spaghetti, seasoned bacon scraps from the farmers' market ---I'm too cheap to buy pancetta with is nothing more than salty bacon anyway --- lots and lots of cracked black pepper and that's pasta carbonara.

The CDC, FDA, ABC, EFG, HIJ, Tyson, Cargil, Monsanto, Con-Agra, the American Federation of Dairy Farmers et al can bite me.

You might want to explore the possibility of buying your food from real people, that you can trust.

Sally Monella...she gets around...lot of home remedies for that, you know?

Agriculturally...

Mircea

Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
...until you had corporate food.

I just had raw eggs Thursday. 2 raw eggs, add a little cream to make a beautiful pale yellow color, some Parmesan, spaghetti, seasoned bacon scraps from the farmers' market ---I'm too cheap to buy pancetta with is nothing more than salty bacon anyway --- lots and lots of cracked black pepper and that's pasta carbonara.

The CDC, FDA, ABC, EFG, HIJ, Tyson, Cargil, Monsanto, Con-Agra, the American Federation of Dairy Farmers et al can bite me.

You might want to explore the possibility of buying your food from real people, that you can trust.

Sally Monella...she gets around...lot of home remedies for that, you know?

Agriculturally...

Mircea
You could have your own hens and gather your own eggs and still get salmonella. If you did so, would you be willing to take the steps required of large scale egg producers?

FDA: New Final Rule to Ensure Egg Safety, Reduce Salmonella Illnesses Goes Into Effect

Little Dolphin, did you report your illness to the store or the Public Health Department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness