U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,642,864 times

Advertisements

Hey

Just wondering what we got over here.

Someone in the family actually mentioned the Rodera Virus and now I'm scared. But I wonder if it was food poisoning.

My brother, his wife, and their baby got real sick two weeks ago.
We saw them on Thanksgiving and now 9 out of 23 of us are sick.

I actually got a prescription to stop vomiting after 5 hours of throwing up every 30 minutes, diarrhea, and I have never ached so bad in my life. After the throwing up came, chills, a fever, going from hot to cold, aches, and headache.

It's been two days and we are all still very weak and our tummies are werid.
I can only last about ten minutes standing up before I'm tired again and I cant imagine losing 6 pounds in two days is healthy.

My house has been majorly cleaned(it's always mucho clean though). Everything has been disinfected!!!

I was just wondering if it was just my family or if its common right now?

Thanks!

The only thing that makes my tummy happy is a little whiskey w/ gingerale. I figure the whiskey will kill the germ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,128,592 times
I don't know what you have, but I hope you are feeling better.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,551,351 times
Kelly - Here's a link to rotavirus - Rotavirus Homepage | CDC Rotavirus

If you or someone else in your family feels well enough to get to a store, get some Gatorade to replace your body's electrolytes you probably lost with all the vomiting and diarrhea. You're probably pretty dehydrated which makes you feel worse, too.

Feel better soon!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Kelly - Here's a link to rotavirus - Rotavirus Homepage | CDC Rotavirus

If you or someone else in your family feels well enough to get to a store, get some Gatorade to replace your body's electrolytes you probably lost with all the vomiting and diarrhea. You're probably pretty dehydrated which makes you feel worse, too.

Feel better soon!
we got Gatorade and have been drinking it as we can.
I've been drinking lots of tea. It makes my tummy happy!

Thanks for the link
I'm not totally sold on what it is, but it was definitely horrible.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 AM

436 posts, read 655,016 times
Where were you? Away from here?

Out of the members who are sick, is there a common denominator of food consumed?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Where were you? Away from here?

Out of the members who are sick, is there a common denominator of food consumed?
We are in Florida. ...Tampa Area.

yes there is a common denominator! Turkey! We all got sick after thanksgiving dinner(within 48 hours) but that seems to long for it to be food poisoning. And only random people got sick. But I did once hear a case where everyone got sick except one person because they ate so man mashed potatoes(coats the belly)

I'm still not feeling right. I get woozy randomly and light headed ....so does my husband, grandfather,grandma, father, brother but the two little kids seemed to bounce back quick. But kids pick eachothers noses so their tolerance might be higher.

I always understood a virus takes 10-14 days to establish, well this was very random for a virus don't you think. If it was a virus, shouldn't everyone be getting sick sometime this week or next?

ewh,

I'm so wiped out by this.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,551,351 times
Kelly - Didn't you say your brother and his family were sick a couple of weeks before with the same thing? The woozies, lightheadedness and tiredness could all be from being dehydrated from all the vomiting and diarrhea.

Have you asked your doctor if there's something going around in your area? If you still have the vomiting and diarrhea it might be worth having a stool sample checked by the doctor. If you guys have something like Salmonella, E. coli, etc., you may need an antibiotic to get rid of it. Wouldn't hurt to at least call the doctor's office and see what they think.....

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Kelly - Didn't you say your brother and his family were sick a couple of weeks before with the same thing? The woozies, lightheadedness and tiredness could all be from being dehydrated from all the vomiting and diarrhea.

Have you asked your doctor if there's something going around in your area? If you still have the vomiting and diarrhea it might be worth having a stool sample checked by the doctor. If you guys have something like Salmonella, E. coli, etc., you may need an antibiotic to get rid of it. Wouldn't hurt to at least call the doctor's office and see what they think.....
Yeah they did have it. You'd think I would've pieced it together ...maybe I threw up my brain. I'm really not an airhead. We did get it 10 to 14 days after them, but isn't it werid that we all went ill on the same day?

I'm not vomiting or diarrhea anymore, that was only for one horrible day. I'm drinking a ton of water,tea and gatorade, but I did loose some weight over those days so maybe I'm majorly dehydrated. I'll step up the water consumption even more.
I'll go see a doc if this doesn't go away soon.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,905,983 times
I've always thought food poisoning was rather quick and violent!! I could be wrong. I did have it once and I had 4-7 hours of misery and then I was weak but no more of the vomiting...still some diarreha for a bit longer. I even had some hallucinations during the worst. It's nasty!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,037,224 times
Rotavirus - bad, very bad thing to get. Last year Christmas vacation, literally my entire household and all visitors caught it. Traced it back to my infant girl who brought it home from a large playdate gathering just before the holiday. Here's the deal - if it is rotavirus or noravirus (basically the same thing in my mind) it is passed to other people initially via a microscopic amount of fecal matter or vomit (or food touched by either). You get it by consuming it orally. You don't see symptoms until 24 hours, and then it's too late. You need to disinfect everything in your house very well to really eliminate it (you can get it again!). That is easier said than done because of the amount of vomiting, and if you have children, diaper-diarrhea or accidents. Be certain to disinfect all toys, linens, furniture, clothing, blankets, etc.

Honestly, there was nothing we could do to have made things better when my household got it. Nothing stayed down for about 2-3 days per person and all anyone wanted to do was sleep.

Best advice I have heard and now implemented since... wash your kids hands before bringing them inside from outside (anywhere) religiously. Also make certain you wash your own hands well with antibacterial soap often throughout the day. It may appear OCD... but Rotavirus or Noravirus are so unfun, I think one infection is enough for my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness