Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM

18,456 posts, read 18,602,627 times

Advertisements

Makes you wonder how miners managed with no light at all, when this condition seems to be getting much worse now with no natural lighting... I fully understand this and cant stand lighting for long periods in shops etc. Depression risk for workers starved of light - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,413,418 times
I lived in Alaska for 5 years, in the middle of winter we had 5 hours of daylight and although I felt a general slowing down I didn't get depressed, or SAD or anything the like.

Miners worked long shifts at the coal faces with only helmet lights and they didn't suffer from depression either.

I will probably catch some flak for saying this but ...IMO that's because it wasn't trendy to have depression or SAD back then, life wasn't always easy and they learned to get on with it and make the most of it. As someone who has sat at dinner table and listened to my DH adult children discuss which medications they are on and how they make them feel the only conclusion I can come to is that it is 'trendy' to be on meds for depression/SAD, even better if your meds are slightly different to your sisters because then you can discuss a whole range of feelings and even better when your g/f has been prescribed Adderall which she describes as making her feel warm and woozy ! To add the above young folks (all in their 20's and 30's) are employed, have homes, have no children/debts/other stressers, they do however suffer from 1st world problems like not always being able to get a good cellphone signal or having the power go out so they can't connect to the internet.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,320,807 times
I don't take any medications for anything but I will say working night shift and sleeping all day (and not really seeing the light of day) is a not-so-great feeling. Yeah, you might just "get on with it and make the most of it" but I feel like garbage pretty regularly. You start to feel gloomy and like you're just living-to-work.

I pretty much have to force myself outside here or there, force myself to stay awake just to see some sunlight. You don't realize the impact it has on you until you barely want to leave your house. Getting a little bit of sunlight in (aside from the physiological benefits) makes you feel good---ever just take a blanket outside and lie in the grass just to feel the sun? I would love that right now.

Maybe it's "trendy" or maybe they're just trying to make people less miserable---while making money of course. New things, psychological or physical, are discovered all of the time. Think about all of the diseases women used to have because they were "hysterical"---hey they turned out to be real things!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,978,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I lived in Alaska for 5 years...I will probably catch some flak for saying this but ...IMO that's because it wasn't trendy to have depression or SAD back then
The higher the latitude, the higher the suicide rate, per Alaska authorities:

Study suggests connection between Alaska suicide rates, higher latitudes | State News | ADN.com

Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,472,980 times
I remember working in a cubed office that was a quasi-open floorplan with lots of windows but they were mostly shut because people would complain about the screen glare. People who had offices took to keeping their lights off and using a desk lamp for light.

I went a step further and unscrewed the bulb from the light over my desk because they were on a big circuit timer so it was impossible to turn off without affecting dozens of others. I put a small 40W lamp on my desk to supplement and it helped a lot. Thankfully I left that ****hole years ago and now work in a converted house and have two big windows overlooking our small parking lot and woods, couldn't be happier.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 AM

12 posts, read 24,478 times
Are we all so sure miners didn't suffer depression?

Honestly, have you ever seen a picture of a miner's face as he's exiting the mine?

I think people just didn't talk about such things way-back-when.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,212,030 times
People these days are oversensitive... I'm not saying SAD doesn't exist.. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where there was no sunshine, but sometimes people just have to accept that things are going to happen that are uncomfortable, they can't always get what they want, in this society of instant gratification.

I very much dislike where I live now because of the long winters that just drag on forever, and I do complain about it I admit, but that won't magically change the weather... either I accept it or I move... I'm not depressed, just slightly irritated at the isolation and cold....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness