Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times

Advertisements

After a regular physical & blood work done (which I had to ask for & research to interpret), I found out I've got too much estrogen, as many women & some men do.
This hormone imbalance of "estrogen dominance" can cause problems like miscarriages & other health issues.

Many substances have xenoestrogens (manufactored hormones that imitate estrogen).
Diet, esp. growth hormones have xenoestrogens, however since it is metabolized by the liver, it's not as influential as skin contact.
Skin contact of xenoestrogens is considered to be 10x as much as that which is ingested.

This link provides a list of substances with Xenoestrogens, which need to be avoided, especially if you have estrogen dominance...

A List of*Xenoestrogens « Endometriosis Journey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
I am curious -though do you gappen to notice if you seem to have a very high metabolism?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
I am curious -though do you gappen to notice if you seem to have a very high metabolism?
I guess I do... I've never really struggled with weight issues... I fluctuate 5-10 lbs..., like this last year, I've had a bit more than last year, but I'm always well below what is considered healthy weight for my height.

So... according to what I've read, people tend to gain weight when they have estrogen dominance.
I don't have a real extreme level of estrogen, but it is out of wack in relation to my progesterone levels & I think stress hormones also affect the other hormone levels. I also exercise alot & chase my kids around.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
And what was that estrogen level and any other relevant results (progesterone? FSH?)? I'm assuming you are referring to your estradiol, not your estriol or estrone. Did you track this level over the course of your cycle or use a single test result? Do you have a medical background?

I think it's great that you're being an advocate for your health but there are diagnoses that should not be made without the consult of a medical professional. And from what I've heard, there is concern about the increase of estrogen-like molecules in plastics and the overall trend of earlier menarche and increased breast size and other implications these molecular interactions may have on the body.

Estrogen dominance is a theory that doesn't have much hard science to back it up. That being said, subscribing to this theory, like subscribing to practices like acupuncture or chiropracty, probably won't do you any harm. If it eases your mind to avoid these plastics, go for it, but you might also continue looking into other causes for your health problems.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And what was that estrogen level and any other relevant results (progesterone? FSH?)? I'm assuming you are referring to your estradiol, not your estriol or estrone. Did you track this level over the course of your cycle or use a single test result? Do you have a medical background?

I think it's great that you're being an advocate for your health but there are diagnoses that should not be made without the consult of a medical professional. And from what I've heard, there is concern about the increase of estrogen-like molecules in plastics and the overall trend of earlier menarche and increased breast size and other implications these molecular interactions may have on the body.

Estrogen dominance is a theory that doesn't have much hard science to back it up. That being said, subscribing to this theory, like subscribing to practices like acupuncture or chiropracty, probably won't do you any harm. If it eases your mind to avoid these plastics, go for it, but you might also continue looking into other causes for your health problems.
Thank you for mentioning other considerations.
I don't have a medical background, however, in my experience with doctors, they are as their professions state... practicing (not perfect) & I haven't always been able to trust their diagnosis. I realize my hormones fluctuate according to my cycle, which is pretty regular, but my estrogen level, even for the normal highest, was higher. I knew this before, but I ignorantly dismissed it, thinking it wouldn't affect my health (even though I had to take progesterone for pregnancy to last after having 3 miscarriages).

I thought it was interesting that my doctor only mentioned low MCV count which he diagnosed as Vitamin B-12 deficiency. I'm glad I got a copy of my blood work (although I know I shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions or exagerate). I also had a very low blood sugar (& at times I feel light headed, nausiated etc.) & hormonal imbalances - none of these were mentioned by my Doctor.

Based on my research for natural remedies...(Besides a multivitamin) I'm taking B-12, Calcium/Vit D & Fish Oil (as before), Magnesium & Vit. E. I'm trying to eat salad (plenty of vegetables) every day, limit foods that may affect my hormones, drink more water, breath deeper & not go too long without eating or drinking something.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Yes, it is great that you are taking a proactive stance. However, you are not a medical doctor. I know you know that and I'm not trying to be flip. There are good and bad doctors. You are neither. Get to another doctor if you think this one is not any good. And another, if you have to.

I am very proactive like you. And my doc listens to me, takes everything I say under advisement, takes the time to explain everything to me. He's incredible. I will argue with him. I will tell him I will or will not do what he says. But in the end, he is the doctor and not me.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I guess I do... I've never really struggled with weight issues... I fluctuate 5-10 lbs..., like this last year, I've had a bit more than last year, but I'm always well below what is considered healthy weight for my height.

So... according to what I've read, people tend to gain weight when they have estrogen dominance.

I don't have a real extreme level of estrogen, but it is out of wack in relation to my progesterone levels & I think stress hormones also affect the other hormone levels. I also exercise alot & chase my kids around.
And I've read that people who are overweight produce excess estrogen.

I'm not a doctor but I was diagnosed with fibroids and endometriosis and I knew something had to be up. It was weird I was having all these female problems. I was only 26 when I was diagnosed with these issues so after doing some research I read more about estrogen dominance. I think my poor lifestyle choices caused this but I will never know for sure.

I do check ingredients for parabens and I try to limit soy and and flaxseed. There are a lot of changes I need to make. I read that estrogen dominance may be a factor in breast cancer. That kind of worries me.

It would be great if I could get my doctor to test if I am estrogen dominant.

Thank you for posting the article.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Estrogen dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
And I've read that people who are overweight produce excess estrogen.

I'm not a doctor but I was diagnosed with fibroids and endometriosis and I knew something had to be up. It was weird I was having all these female problems. I was only 26 when I was diagnosed with these issues so after doing some research I read more about estrogen dominance. I think my poor lifestyle choices caused this but I will never know for sure.

I do check ingredients for parabens and I try to limit soy and and flaxseed. There are a lot of changes I need to make. I read that estrogen dominance may be a factor in breast cancer. That kind of worries me.

It would be great if I could get my doctor to test if I am estrogen dominant.

Thank you for posting the article.
I have the same problems with fibroids but I've read that flaxseed can help your body rid itself of extra estrogen? I never use soy products and have read that men should greatly limit them since they can cause man boobs, weight gain and impotence. Vitex is supposed to help but it didn't work for me. It worked wonders for a friend though. In today's crazy world it would be no surprise to me if our hormones are out of whack.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have the same problems with fibroids but I've read that flaxseed can help your body rid itself of extra estrogen? I never use soy products and have read that men should greatly limit them since they can cause man boobs, weight gain and impotence. Vitex is supposed to help but it didn't work for me. It worked wonders for a friend though. In today's crazy world it would be no surprise to me if our hormones are out of whack.
Thee are some studies that show that plant estrogens can help and others suggest that you may need to limit them. I'm not sure what to believe. I do find it interesting that in Asia where they consume a lot of soy they have the lowest rate of breast cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness