Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times

Advertisements

I swallow all the time and I do it unconsciously. It really annoys my wife, but I don't seem to be able to get out of the habit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
I have same problem. And don't now what to do

Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,676 times
I've been dealing with this for a little over a year and a half now. It's become especially bad lately because I have a few classes where I sit in very close proximity to other people and the room is dead silent quite often. Nothing has really worked for me so far. I asked my brother (who is a registered doctor in the US) and he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. It's causing me so much stress though and has begun to negatively affect me in school (I rushed through an exam earlier this week because I wanted to get out of the silent room). My jaw is becoming sore now as the day goes on because of how much I'm swallowing. I also think it's starting to give me headaches.

I just read through all the replies in this thread, and honestly, the advice one guy gave about aligning your teeth in your mouth has helped me somewhat. I was swallowing multiple times a minute when I pulled this thread up, but after I started doing what he said, it's reduced it to maybe 1 or 2 times a minute. I'm not sure if it's because I am now focusing on keeping my jaw aligned instead of focusing on swallowing/not swallowing, but it is helping a little. Doesn't seem like a long term solution but it's something I'm going to keep trying.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So whenever I see or hear someone swallow it almost immediately triggers the response in me, I have to swallow. Swallowing is especially annoying and creates anxiety when you're in a quiet room or close with someone and you KNOW they can hear it, and once you do it once and realize it, you become self concious and can't stop because it's on your mind. The last 2 days I have been swallowing almost constantly!

I find that even when I don't think about it I can feel the excess buildup of saliva in my mouth and I can't just FORCE myself to not swallow. I feel like I'm going to drown if I don't swallow it, so I keep swallowing and I think it is getting worse.

I did a quick search online for answers, I didn't find much, but I did find some people have far more severe conditions of this. The only thing I found and have been trying to far is to spit out the excess saliva, so I have a bottle, (I know, it's gross) that I spit into.

If anyone knows a cure or a way to cope with and forget about this it would be much appreciated!
Are you taking antidepressants? That's a side effect

Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
I find drinking cold water with ice and tidying up or some other kind of method of taking your mind off it helps. Talk to gp about it. Anti anxiety tablets may help

Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
I currently have the same problem, can't even sleep because of it. Has anyone actually found a cause and solution to this madness!??

Old 08-28-2019, 07:22 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
If I swallow too much, I always end up with a sore throat, so I force myself to cut it back and out.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
Default Hi mate

I had something similar a while back. This isn't an uncommon problem so don't think your the only one! Its not pleasant at all so don't blame you one bit for it worrying you. The way I ended up dealing with the problem, is by realizing that when you directly think about a body function it moves from a passive response to an active response thats all that is happening, this is the same for everyone. So you know that in the future, no matter how much you worry about it, there will be a point where it will eventually return back to passive. So try not to worry about it and especially don't beat yourself up if you start thinking about it. Swallow away when you think about it and allow yourself to relax and realize that it is okay to do so.

Another tip I found helpful is practicing mindfulness, not gonna tell you its a quick fix but I found it helped me worry less. There are many good websites and apps if you want to try it.

And trust me the world is missing out if it doesn't let you be the happiest you!

Old 11-04-2020, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
This thread definitely have some good advices, which somewhat helped me. I had the same problem for a week or so in the past, it stopped on itself because I got used to it and accepted it eventually (it’s like on 5 stages of grief, acceptance always comes right next to depression). Since that it comes up randomly at night, which is not a big deal. Here helped a bit an advice about jaw position, and I’d also add that keeping the tip on of the tongue on palate, and getting passively used to it helps. Apart from that, people have much more irritating habits, and problems, but this one doesn’t really have any physically bad side effects. Don’t stretch it, and live free!

Old 11-05-2020, 06:26 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So whenever I see or hear someone swallow it almost immediately triggers the response in me, I have to swallow. Swallowing is especially annoying and creates anxiety when you're in a quiet room or close with someone and you KNOW they can hear it, and once you do it once and realize it, you become self concious and can't stop because it's on your mind. The last 2 days I have been swallowing almost constantly!

I find that even when I don't think about it I can feel the excess buildup of saliva in my mouth and I can't just FORCE myself to not swallow. I feel like I'm going to drown if I don't swallow it, so I keep swallowing and I think it is getting worse.

I did a quick search online for answers, I didn't find much, but I did find some people have far more severe conditions of this. The only thing I found and have been trying to far is to spit out the excess saliva, so I have a bottle, (I know, it's gross) that I spit into.

If anyone knows a cure or a way to cope with and forget about this it would be much appreciated!
I see you're still active here. So did you manage to stop swallowing so much? I don't see an update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness