Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I'm not sure where you get the "little access to fresh water" idea. Humans have always lived on or near water, it's kind of a required thing. Only recently in our evolution have we gained the ability to keep water around or take it places it normally would not be.

Actual needed amounts likely were the same or more, since hunting involved much more exertion... which plays a large part in how much water you actually need to drink. Remember, you also need water to keep the ability to sweat (thermoregulation is hugely important.) Once you start getting too hot, you sweat... if you don't replace the water and electrolytes lost nasty things like neural/muscular issues start to happen, or you literally start to cook once you stop sweating. Heatstroke sucks... wouldn't recommend it.
I would venture to guess that most people in the world today and in anytime in the past, do not/did not have ready access to volumes of fresh clean water at a moment's notice (which is what is required to drink the volumes that are recommended today).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I would venture to guess that most people in the world today and in anytime in the past, do not/did not have ready access to volumes of fresh clean water at a moment's notice (which is what is required to drink the volumes that are recommended today).
At a moment's notice? Maybe not. But there weren't always people in many parts of the world. Many (if not most ) European capitals are near or on sources of water. Same goes for capitals in many other places. Tuareg nomads can find water in the middle of the world's most famed desert.

Depends on your definition of "fresh, clean water."

Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
When bicycling, I tend to think of water as oil and calories from food or pop or vodka as gas.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I think the following answer is correct, although I should've probably researched it before writing it. But anyhoo...

The body has to get rid of the impurities in it, and letting those impurities flow out in the urine is a good way to do that. So, basically, the water is acting as both a filtration system and as a way to hydrate you. I think.
yup-helps remove waste from the body. i

Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's a great question.

It's also interesting that cave people who had little access to fresh water somehow survived, but now we modern folk MUST drink eight full glasses a day (who makes this stuff up?) or we will "shrivel up and die."
Yes, but don't forget -- a lot of what they ate was vegetable matter, which contains a lot of water.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yes, but don't forget -- a lot of what they ate was vegetable matter, which contains a lot of water.
I agree.

The eight glasses of water rule has more to do with our modern diet than anything. Its sad to think that children are already concerned about drinking enough water. If they eat fruits and vegetables and drink water instead of other drinks when they are thirsty, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
When I'm dieting, they say 8 or more glasses of water will help a person lose weight, so I drink it.

When I am not dieting, I stop drinking all that water and feel just the same (other than not having to run to the toilet 8x day) I drink water when I am thirsty (2-4 glasses a day) My skin isn't any better or worse. It is dry in the winter no matter how much I drink or don't drink.

If we watch animals (other than us), they don't gorge themselves with water. They drink when they are thirsty. I don't "get" needing all that water if other animals don't naturally gorge on it either. Do you think their skin and internal organs would be any healthier if they drank even 2x more than what they normally would? I don't.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Water is needed to flush impurities and waste materials out of the body. When you pee, your urine should be a very light yellow. If it's dark, it usually means you're dehydrated. Having enough water means that your kidneys and bladder can continuously flush out those impurities throughout the day. It's annoying to keep peeing all day, but that's actually what is best for your bladder. Letting urine "sit" in the bladder for extended periods of time can lead to urinary tract infections.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Because pretty soon you'd be in the negative and you'd start noticing the effects. If you only drink one liter per day and you use two, then within a matter of a couple of days you would be severely dehydrated.

Your body needs the water to maintain volumes. Without water, nasty things happen, like cells shrivel up and become less efficient (before dying), you need the water to maintain blood volume (somewhere around ~40% of your blood is actual RBCs and white blood cells, the rest is plasma that carries nutrients, wastes, and blood platelets.) You also need that water to get rid of nitrogenous wastes, which are byproducts of the breakdown of proteins and amino acids for energy. If your body can't transport those nutrients, maintain volumes, or get rid of wastes, then you get buildups of toxins in your body in addition to being dehydrated... really not good.

That's really the best I can do for the moment off the top of my head. Source: I'm a third year BoS biology student.
This is a great answer ^^^. I will say that for myself, I learned DECADES AGO to drink plenty of fresh water. I do drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine at night, but all day long my only other beverage is water. Because of this my I have great kidney function, good blood volume, extremely hydrated smooth skin at 64 y.o. (my massage therapist said very few people are hydrated!) and other benefits.

I also agree with the poster who said the cave people ate more fruits and vegetables which naturally contained water. Besides, how long did those people live anyway - modern people live longer from what I have read. The modern diet of many is terrible, with too much caffeine, soda, alcohol and other things which tend to deydrate. I once read you need two glasses of water for every serving of alcohol!

The 8 glasses a day thing is an arbitrary number - some need more, some need less; depending on lifestyle and diet. Anyway, I shall continue to drink my several bottles of spring water today, it's working for me!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Tell your niece it's like washing clothes or taking a shower...you need a certain amount of water to clean your clothes or yourself. Your body needs water to get rid of waste. When you shower or wash clothes, the dirty water gets drained away, and you or your clothes are left with just a little bit of water. When you drink water and then you pee, you're draining the dirty water and then you're left with a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness