Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,478,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The point of my thread is to rebuke the ignorant statement that pot is harmless by some people. It does not say legalization is a bad thing. Some people believe everything they read. The only reason it is legal is for the revenue it will generate.
Just like alcohol there will be many irresponsible people who abuse it and cause harm or "misfortune" to others. There are going to be numerous other side effects from it. I believe in personal responsibility. The legal age should be 25 to buy it in my opinion.
Not everyone is mature at 18 or 21 or whatever it is. It is not healthy for immature people to drink or take drugs as they do not know themselves yet.
You created the straw man of "the ignorant statement". If you truly want to debate the issue of the harmfulness of cannabis, you just have to say so. I'm quite sure you'd be surprised at the informed responses that would generate.

Sadly, people of all ages consume drugs of which they are ignorant of the potential side effects and addictive qualities. The preponderance of these are legal drugs prescribed by medical professionals in whom they place trust. There are many unwittingly irresponsible people who use drugs such as adderall, xanax, lexapro, chantix, klonopin, afrin, oxycodone, ambien, lunesta, etc.

I'm 65 years old and I know people my own age who regularly ingest one or more of these drugs, or worse still some combination, without any sense of how their impairment is being affected. I also know a few people my age who regularly use cannabis. The difference between the two groups is night and day. Given my druthers - and trust me, I've been give a lot of druthers - I'd place far more trust in someone's who's inhaled a little kush than someone who's taken an ambien and chased it with a shot of vodka.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,861,508 times
I was a counselor in a long-term drug rehab for teens and young adults...........hardcore cases. Almost all of them entered the world of drugs through pot. Now their lives were in the sewer.
Just saying.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,712,439 times
Some people just want to live & not be in unbearable pain. Both some Democrats & some Republicans. It is also important to know that there are no known deaths as a direct result of "pot". It is non-toxic & has about half a dozen cancer-fighters (cannabinoids) in the plant. It isn't illegal because govt cares about us, it's illegal to protect profits of some special interest groups that bribe politicians, like pharmaceutical cos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And that sort of silliness makes you a liberal.
Smoking (inhaling poisonous gases) anything is harmful. Doesn't matter whether it is less harmful or more harmful than alcohol; that's a fool's argument.

Calling the legalization of pot "medical marijuana" is just a scam cooked up by those who want to smoke pot.
Witness the long lines in Colorado - all, we must presume, buying weed in order to alleviate profound suffering.
But the height of absurdity is the headline that proclaimed help was on the way for multitudes of children who suffer from seizures. Help, of course, is in the form of medical marijuana, which is purchased by the kids' parents.
Liberals, it seems, are incapable of honesty, and must disguise their self indulgent desires as simple concern for others.
Poppycock. They just want to smoke pot.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 AM

Professional researchers, who may only get research money if they promise to try to find something bad, are so far behind people who do research for free.

Rick Simpson spent his entire $1.3 million life savings curing 5,000 people for free that had cancer or other fatal illnesses, using cannabis oil, starting in 2008. US demanded Canada arrest Rick as a drug dealer, so Rick fled to Europe. Why would US govt be so anti-life? (both Dems & Reps).You can watch the 58 minute Run From The Cure video online. Best wishes.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 AM

About 50 million Americans say they use "pot". Most are employed, retired, or disabled but comfortable. I really don't know why some go on to hard drugs. It is generally believed that "pot" does not make anyone do something they otherwise would not do. There is some evidence that poverty (no hope for success) is a factor in drug use. Probably less than 100% of those who use pot get all the relief they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I was a counselor in a long-term drug rehab for teens and young adults...........hardcore cases. Almost all of them entered the world of drugs through pot. Now their lives were in the sewer.
Just saying.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 AM

Some kids have hundreds of seizures a day. It is horrible. For many people, none of the anti-seizure pills work. Seizures can be fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

But the height of absurdity is the headline that proclaimed help was on the way for multitudes of children who suffer from seizures. Help, of course, is in the form of medical marijuana, which is purchased by the kids' parents.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 AM

Nearly 4,000 patients in study. Over 12% died during study, including 0.6% that used "marijuana". "Pot" widens blood vessels, reducing chance of stroke & heart attack. Increased risk of heart attack in hour after use just a theory that did not consider everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
"Earlier research, however, found that the hour after smoking marijuana is associated with a two-fold to five-fold increase in the risk of heart attack, roughly the same risk seen within an hour of sexual activity"

Read more: Marijuana Linked to Increased Stroke Risk | TIME.com Marijuana Linked to Increased Stroke Risk | TIME.com

This article also stated that all but one of the participants were tobacco users as well. Maybe we should make sex and tobacco illegal while we are at it.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 AM

They agreed to be tested for pot within 72 hours of stroke? Did they let them smoke pot in hospital, or were they all tested for pot within 72 hours of having a stroke elsewhere? Many drugs or other factors might cause stroke, but be unproveable as long as 72 hours later. Also, *traces* of pot suggests use more likely weeks ago rather than within last 72 hours. Did they try to test for other drugs? Are all strokes caused by drugs? So many questions, so few answers. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't doubt it, especially since I heard a neurologist say it. It's just not something I had thought about or heard doctors refer to before. And I've been in a teaching hospital setting for over 30 years. This is just something I hadn't heard mentioned. Yes, I know tobacco of any kind, increases risk of stroke. I just had never heard a doctor pinpoint pot specifically.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 AM

I've read 60% of Americans get cancer & half of those, 30% of population, dies from cancer. Smoking cannabis can slow growth of cancer, but I think cannabis must be used in oil form to cure cancer, as in smoking it most of oil is burned up before inhaled. But if a person doesn't have a fatal illness, smoking it will help with most other things, usually.

For more advice on cancer treatment, I recommend cancertutor.com/ Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859676

Inhibition of colon carcinogenesis by a standa... [Phytomedicine. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

These are preliminary studies of course, but many people don't want to wait the years for the studies to confirm--they want help now. With 1/2 men and 1/3 women getting cancer in their lifetime, the suffering is immense and with preliminary studies pointing to the fact that cannabis may actually treat cancer and not just alleviate the symptoms, believe me, there are folks who want to see medical marijuana legalized. It's not just out of the goodness of their heart at seeing the suffering of others--we all realize that we or a close family member may be the one who needs it one day. BTW, they are not smoking it in these studies so I don't know if you can call someone who has Stage IV metastatic cancer and wants to try one last treatment before giving up, a pothead, or not. You decide.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 AM

After govt announced money was available to find ways that "pot" harms only adolescents, a short while later there was a claim some researcher found 3 teens that had strokes, allegedly caused by "pot" It would seem that if it caused strokes in teens, it would cause them in adults, & likely much more often.

Aren't strokes (& heart attacks) caused by blood clots? And what are odds teens would have blood clots. Also, cannabis widens blood vessels, seeming likely to make strokes (& heart attacks) less common. I don't know everything about medicine. If anyone believes this is wrong, please explain. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I heard a doctor (neurologist) the other day saying that pot smoking has been shown in studies to be a cause of stroke. I didn't know that. He was referring to regular marijuana, but he also said there was a case of two brothers who smoked synthetic marijuana and had strokes within 20 minutes of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness