Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times

Advertisements

This started very mildly. Last Friday afternoon I felt "off", with a slight scratchiness in my throat. The weekend pretty much continued that way. I was coughing and sniffling a little on Monday. By Tuesday afternoon I started feeling really bad, blowing my nose constantly. Yesterday I stayed home from work, as this thing suddenly morphed into the cold from Hell with the following symptoms:

1. Low grade fever
2. Watery eyes
3. Coughing
4. Sneezing
5. Headache
6. Runny nose that would not stop!

I stayed home again today, which is unheard of for me. My nose has gotten slightly better, and I'm not sneezing as much, but I'm still dealing with the watery eyes and headache.

I bet I've gone through three boxes of Kleenex. It's like someone left the tap running! Usually Benadryl will help dry it up, but that wasn't the case last night. I had to sleep lying on my back, so I woke up with a sore throat from the draining mucus.

This is the strangest and strongest cold I've ever had. Usually a cold starts with a sore throat. Except for the scratchiness, there was nothing. And it seems like there was this slow build-up of symptoms, which has also never happened. Usually I get sick within a day, and then in a day or two, I'm back to normal. I'm certainly not normal yet!

Has anyone else had this, or something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
it sounds like a sinus infection, they can happen on top of a cold. I had it once, it was absolutely miserable, cold from hell as you said. You can get antibiotics for it, but most of the time it's viral and they don't help much, only if it's bacterial.
Feel better!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,610 times
Sounds like the flu. I'm going through it right now, and it sucks. Luckily after 4 days, the only symptom I have is the cough.

Get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids, get some medicine. All you can do.

I found warm water was much better tk drink. It helped with congestion and my cough.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks, you guys. I don't think it was the flu; it came on too gradually, and I didn't have the body aches or high fever that usually accompanies the flu. I'm feeling a little bit better this morning; I might even make it to work today!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
My son and I got a virus back in December. I woke up one morning and I felt like someone had replaced my nose with a leaky faucet! The sore throat and general malaise was part of it but neither of us ran a fever or had much congestion - nose just ran all the time. I take Astragalus, doubled up on the normal dose and was over it in 4 days. He was sick for about 10 days 'cause he won't take herbal supplements.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
I've been sick since 12/30. Started as OP said, with the scratchy throat, and next morning turned into a full-blown (pun intended) head cold. Not being one to run to the doctor for every little thing decided it was "just a cold." Tried different OTC meds and THOUGHT I had turned a corner last Friday. Even was able to sleep in my bed for the first time that night instead of with head elevated in the recliner. Over this past weekend worse than ever, with clogged sinuses, feeling like my head would explode and running a low grade fever.

Realized it had probably morphed into a sinus infection so got my doc to squeeze me in this afternoon. Ended up with a steroid injection and will start taking low dose, short term Prednisone and antibiotics. She also suggested I take Mucinex and use a nasal saline spray or neti pot.

What I did not realize is how bad my lungs are. She said they sounded very tight and "wheezy," and she prescribed an inhaler, which I am holding off on getting unless I absolutely have to because it's pretty costly, and I have yet to order my Medicare Plan D drug plan.

Did not have the aches and pains or high fever of the flu, no swollen glands or sore throat either. Just a cough and a LOT of mucus forming in my head. Also extreme fatigue -- but part of that is from lying around and not eating much. Still can't smell or taste anything.

Hoping to feel a whole lot better in a few days but already have a follow-up appt. in two weeks if I still feel like crap.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I'm in week 5 of "whatever this is"

Old 01-14-2014, 06:09 PM

I hope everyone soon feels better and is back to normal!

I went to the doctor today for my yearly physical. I still sound congested, but I can't tell if I'm still fighting off my cold, or if it's allergies from the winds we've had here in Southern California. I'm probably still fighting something, because my temperature was still up a little today.

I'm not happy that you're all sick, but at the same time, I'm glad it's not just me.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This started very mildly. Last Friday afternoon I felt "off", with a slight scratchiness in my throat. The weekend pretty much continued that way. I was coughing and sniffling a little on Monday. By Tuesday afternoon I started feeling really bad, blowing my nose constantly. Yesterday I stayed home from work, as this thing suddenly morphed into the cold from Hell with the following symptoms:

1. Low grade fever
2. Watery eyes
3. Coughing
4. Sneezing
5. Headache
6. Runny nose that would not stop!

I stayed home again today, which is unheard of for me. My nose has gotten slightly better, and I'm not sneezing as much, but I'm still dealing with the watery eyes and headache.

I bet I've gone through three boxes of Kleenex. It's like someone left the tap running! Usually Benadryl will help dry it up, but that wasn't the case last night. I had to sleep lying on my back, so I woke up with a sore throat from the draining mucus.

This is the strangest and strongest cold I've ever had. Usually a cold starts with a sore throat. Except for the scratchiness, there was nothing. And it seems like there was this slow build-up of symptoms, which has also never happened. Usually I get sick within a day, and then in a day or two, I'm back to normal. I'm certainly not normal yet!

Has anyone else had this, or something similar?
My husband and I had this at Thanksgiving and we were sick with these symptoms for over a week. It was the flu.

We coughed for 6 weeks - just got over the cough about two weeks ago. And yes, both of us had that slow sort of onset, which was also weird. Like it built up over about three days and then BOOM - DOWN FOR THE COUNT.

One other really weird symptom we both had was that the symptoms seemed to create a TON of SALIVA. I mean, it was disgusting. Not phlegm - slobber! Between the sore throat, the running nose and the excessive slobbering, we felt nauseous as well. Very disgusting.

Our ears were stopped up with fluid as well, and gunk.

It was like every hole in our head was a spigot and fluid was pouring out of everywhere! Honestly, it was bizarre. My eyes watered so much that at times tears would just pour out down my face as I was coughing, with my nose running like a faucet. Thank God for Kleenexes!

A couple of weeks later, my parents both got this and said they had the same weird symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness