Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times

Advertisements

Back in November I went to ER and rec'd an RX for 20 mg of Progesterone to take for 10 days.

After that my MD rx-ed the Methylprednisolone 3x this has 21 pills that taper down

My MD will not prescribe it anymore for me.

The Methylprednisolone is the only thing that will completely take my back pain away, I take Vicodin also but the Vicodin does not take care of the back pain, it works with my leg pain but not the back.

My MD said he will give me something else and that the Methylprednisolone/Prednisone can kill me.

I have read that others have taken this for a long time.

I already take Gabapentin and Dilantin for my legs.

What will my MD prescribe now? I'm so tired of taking all of these meds, I want to have surgery and will tell him that tomorrow, I cannot go on like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Taking Prednisone: The Pros and Cons of This Natural Steroid - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Read the above information. Prednisone is primarily used for auto immune systems/diseases, it's not a pain reliever. It also is hard on your kidneys.

I've been taking a 4mg's dose pak for several years on as needed prescription to alleviate some sinusitis problems. I rarely take it now but it's available to me on a once every 3 to 6 month level.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Prednisone can have too many detrimental side effects when used long term. Anybody that really needs to take it long term does not do so happily.
In your case, it might be inflammation it is helping with. Ask if there is anything that you can try to help with that.
Or, you might ask him if he would agree to a daily (or every other day) very low dose such as wit-nit takes.
Oh...I just re-read that he says he will give you something else.
Maybe your post is just premature.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Taking Prednisone: The Pros and Cons of This Natural Steroid - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Read the above information. Prednisone is primarily used for auto immune systems/diseases, it's not a pain reliever. It also is hard on your kidneys......
I took it for about two and a half years for an auto-immune problem. However, I did have spine problems that caused pain, and the Prednisone was very effective in reducing that pain. The problem is that long-term use of Prednisone can have a deleterious effect of bone strength.

Orthopedic and neural surgeons will sometimes give patients with acute sciatica, for example, a relatively brief course of Prednisone to reduce inflammation and, thus, the pain. I have gone through this routine several times for on-going spine problems, and it was in the early stages very helpful. It is not particularly helpful if disc deterioration or nerve compression is advanced and/or pervasive.

I should probably add this: When I was taking Prednisone for the auto-immune problem I was taking 40 mg/day. When an orthopaedist would give me Prednisone for an acute episode of sciatica the dose was 5 mg, three times a day for two weeks.

Many people complain of adverse psychological problems - depression, mood swings, anger. I am a male, and I found that the drug made me feel very positive and upbeat, and to be honest I quite enjoyed not only the pain relief, but the positive mental effects. However, numerous women I met who were taking it or had taken it complained of exactly the opposite effect. I once had a discussion with an orthopaedist about this, and he commented in his clinical experience women were far more likely to complain to him of the negative mental effects of the drug.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Prednisone (and methylprednisolone) reduces inflammation, which, in turn, can alleviate associated pain.

I was prescribed 5 mg of pred daily for a few months, after which my doc wanted me to continue taking 1 mg every day, supposedly for the rest of my life. He said that low dosage would be effective for my inflammation/pain and would have minimal side-effects, but I was too nervous to do it.

I will have to admit, however, that pred always made me feel like a kid -- my body never felt so good as when I was taking it.

I have a friend who goes to Mexico regularly and buys it over-the-counter there.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I have RA, and for a time, I was on it long term. It does help for the pain, but it just is not good for you. I know in myself, it also caused a bit of weight gain and puffiness.

When taken long term, your face may also become moon shaped.

I know it helps with the pain and inflammation, but lets face it, it is a steroid. Long term use is not a good thing.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I once took 40 mg of prednisone a day for six years. It didn't kill me.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

Read the above information. Prednisone is primarily used for auto immune systems/diseases, it's not a pain reliever. It also is hard on your kidneys.

I've been taking a 4mg's dose pak for several years on as needed prescription to alleviate some sinusitis problems. I rarely take it now but it's available to me on a once every 3 to 6 month level.
Thanks for your reply, appreciated

Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Prednisone (and methylprednisolone) reduces inflammation, which, in turn, can alleviate associated pain.

I was prescribed 5 mg of pred daily for a few months, after which my doc wanted me to continue taking 1 mg every day, supposedly for the rest of my life. He said that low dosage would be effective for my inflammation/pain and would have minimal side-effects, but I was too nervous to do it.

I will have to admit, however, that pred always made me feel like a kid -- my body never felt so good as when I was taking it.

I have a friend who goes to Mexico regularly and buys it over-the-counter there.
Amazing its OTC there, I know some ladies who go down to Mexico for their pain meds, much cheaper!

It did make me feel more myself & more jovial

H Mexico is to far away from me, thanks for reply

Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I took it for about two and a half years for an auto-immune problem. However, I did have spine problems that caused pain, and the Prednisone was very effective in reducing that pain. The problem is that long-term use of Prednisone can have a deleterious effect of bone strength.

Orthopedic and neural surgeons will sometimes give patients with acute sciatica, for example, a relatively brief course of Prednisone to reduce inflammation and, thus, the pain. I have gone through this routine several times for on-going spine problems, and it was in the early stages very helpful. It is not particularly helpful if disc deterioration or nerve compression is advanced and/or pervasive.

I should probably add this: When I was taking Prednisone for the auto-immune problem I was taking 40 mg/day. When an orthopaedist would give me Prednisone for an acute episode of sciatica the dose was 5 mg, three times a day for two weeks.

Many people complain of adverse psychological problems - depression, mood swings, anger. I am a male, and I found that the drug made me feel very positive and upbeat, and to be honest I quite enjoyed not only the pain relief, but the positive mental effects. However, numerous women I met who were taking it or had taken it complained of exactly the opposite effect. I once had a discussion with an orthopaedist about this, and he commented in his clinical experience women were far more likely to complain to him of the negative mental effects of the drug.
Yes, I felt more like myself and upbeat, I have problem lumbar they tell me
Thanks for reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness