Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,226,365 times

Advertisements

Times have changed and doctors do differently today. I have not kept up, seldom even needing a doctor. But, I have noticed a couple of things and wonder what others think. Two questions?

1. What should a person expect - and receive - by way of checkup when going to a new doctor for the first time? In the past year I have gone to two (hopefully) new doctors. All either did was listen to my heart and lungs, order a blood workup and then renew prescriptions I was already on.

2. What should a person expect - and receive - by way of checkup when doing repeat visits to one's regular doctor? Again, I am running into those who listen to my heart and lungs, proclaim me healthy and send me on my way.

Is that really enough today? Does that blood work tell them all they need to know? I know science moves on to better ways all the time but it has come to me as a surprise. If anything, I thought the carotid artery and aorta should always be checked. Not any more?

This is not to be meant as a diatribe against doctors. I really want to know if this is the new way and I should not worry. Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
What are you going to the doctor for--an annual physical or because you are sick or what?

I'm assuming physical:

My dr looks in my eyes, nose, ears, mouth, checks my throat, cancer screenings, breast/pelvic, checks for abnormalities in my abdomen, legs, arms, feet, hands, listens to my heart and lungs, as well as talks to me about anything wrong, etc. She does lab work and checks that my medication is correct.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What are you going to the doctor for--an annual physical or because you are sick or what?

I'm assuming physical:

My dr looks in my eyes, nose, ears, mouth, checks my throat, cancer screenings, breast/pelvic, checks for abnormalities in my abdomen, legs, arms, feet, hands, listens to my heart and lungs, as well as talks to me about anything wrong, etc. She does lab work and checks that my medication is correct.
Then I am right that I should be getting more. I think I'll start asking why we aren't doing the other things as we used do. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,219,792 times
I just read a book on diagnosis and it said doctors are doing very little "hands on" examinations these days. It also pointed out how major problems can be missed by "humans" doing the diagnostic testing (feeling / listening), whereas blood and other tests are very accurate.

Thus doctors are relying less on "hands on" and more on technology.

With that said, more tests should be done at certain ages and every so many years. I would research that for your age and suggest to your doctor that those tests be done (if they have not been done).

Also in my own experience, I've had "regular" primary care physicians who mainly cared for all age groups. Those doctors did not send me off to get "old man" tests. But then I switched to an "internal medicine" doctor and he suggested prostrate and colonoscopy tests at the first visit.

I'm told internal medicine doctors typically see older patients (thus might do more testing?)

Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I just read a book on diagnosis and it said doctors are doing very little "hands on" examinations these days. It also pointed out how major problems can be missed by "humans" doing the diagnostic testing (feeling / listening), whereas blood and other tests are very accurate.

Thus doctors are relying less on "hands on" and more on technology.

With that said, more tests should be done at certain ages and every so many years. I would research that for your age and suggest to your doctor that those tests be done (if they have not been done).

Also in my own experience, I've had "regular" primary care physicians who mainly cared for all age groups. Those doctors did not send me off to get "old man" tests. But then I switched to an "internal medicine" doctor and he suggested prostrate and colonoscopy tests at the first visit.

I'm told internal medicine doctors typically see older patients (thus might do more testing?)

So, according to what you are reading, this is deliberate. That's what I wondered. I would question relying so totally on lab tests. They can also vary or even be wrong. Nothing is perfect.

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,421,567 times
Hazel, great questions, I've had similar thoughts on my mind over the past year and frankly I was starting to get a bit of a complex over it. I don't ever recall doctors being so hands off until very recently. Even the doctor I have now, I am certain she used to do more thorough exams, now it's just look at the chart ask a few questions send me off for my usual blood work, even if I complain about an ache in my abdomen; it's more of an off for a sonogram or some such thing, but, no real touching. I don't remember the last time she looked down my throat or in my ear unless I specifically complained about those areas. I don't know, maybe due to the fact that my office visits to this doctor are required more frequent than average, I have to go for blood work 3 to 4 times sometimes more each year, still, it just struck me as odd that she doesn't even check my neck nor look into my eyes considering my medical history.

I'm going to ask her about it on my next visit which should be coming up soon enough.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hazel, great questions, I've had similar thoughts on my mind over the past year and frankly I was starting to get a bit of a complex over it. I don't ever recall doctors being so hands off until very recently. Even the doctor I have now, I am certain she used to do more thorough exams, now it's just look at the chart ask a few questions send me off for my usual blood work, even if I complain about an ache in my abdomen; it's more of an off for a sonogram or some such thing, but, no real touching. I don't remember the last time she looked down my throat or in my ear unless I specifically complained about those areas. I don't know, maybe due to the fact that my office visits to this doctor are required more frequent than average, I have to go for blood work 3 to 4 times sometimes more each year, still, it just struck me as odd that she doesn't even check my neck nor look into my eyes considering my medical history.

I'm going to ask her about it on my next visit which should be coming up soon enough.

While I am not glad it is happening to others, I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one and just happening onto the wrong doctors. A good, thorough exam once a years used to be the norm and a complete exam definitely when it's the first visit to a particular doctor who doesn't even know you.

Something else I've noticed is that the forms they have me fill out no longer ask for as much information as they used to. And, other than what allergies we have, I'm not sure anyone reads what we do report.

That computer is more important than the human being sitting nearby. But that's another story. At least, from replies, there are some still doing a good job. Count your blessings if you are among them.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,400,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Times have changed and doctors do differently today. I have not kept up, seldom even needing a doctor. But, I have noticed a couple of things and wonder what others think. Two questions?

1. What should a person expect - and receive - by way of checkup when going to a new doctor for the first time? In the past year I have gone to two (hopefully) new doctors. All either did was listen to my heart and lungs, order a blood workup and then renew prescriptions I was already on.

2. What should a person expect - and receive - by way of checkup when doing repeat visits to one's regular doctor? Again, I am running into those who listen to my heart and lungs, proclaim me healthy and send me on my way.

Is that really enough today? Does that blood work tell them all they need to know? I know science moves on to better ways all the time but it has come to me as a surprise. If anything, I thought the carotid artery and aorta should always be checked. Not any more?

This is not to be meant as a diatribe against doctors. I really want to know if this is the new way and I should not worry. Please?
If you really want to get a better idea of how your health is, get a complete physical. Usually a doctor will listen to your heart and lungs, check your reflexes, test your hearing and vision, take your temp., looks in your ears, mouth and nose, palpates your abdomen, checks that your spine looks straight, check your blood pressure and pulse, weight and measure you, do a urine test and blood work. He may order an ekg, chest x-ray, have you send in a stool sample, prostate exam if you are a guy, a breast exam and mammogram and pelvic exam and pap smear if you are a woman, and a colonoscopy if you are 50 or older.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,991,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you really want to get a better idea of how your health is, get a complete physical. Usually a doctor will listen to your heart and lungs, check your reflexes, test your hearing and vision, take your temp., looks in your ears, mouth and nose, palpates your abdomen, checks that your spine looks straight, check your blood pressure and pulse, weight and measure you, do a urine test and blood work. He may order an ekg, chest x-ray, have you send in a stool sample, prostate exam if you are a guy, a breast exam and mammogram and pelvic exam and pap smear if you are a woman, and a colonoscopy if you are 50 or older.
Oh really? A physician has the time and instruments to do a hearing and vision test?? And there are extra costs for an ekg, chest xray, stool sample, and pelvic/breast/pap. Checks your spine? This doctor must be a very rural, old country doc who has one or two patients a day. Modern up to date docs rely on the patient to tell them if anything seems out of whack. THEN they will schedule any needed test. But these days, with insurance costs, there is no need for all this stuff. Not for a new patient. Not for any patient unless they demand it and will pay for it (foolishly). JMHO

Old 01-25-2014, 11:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,306,686 times
Very easy to do a screening hearing and vision test. and it doesn't take all morning to do a complete physical. Ms W., find yourself a APRN...
and just FYI: Healthy People 2020 - Improving the Health of Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness