Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

I agree with you Mattie, and I understand how you feel. I know of a lot of women whose sexual life changed after a complete hysterectomy.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-02-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Most women don't want to tell the truth about it, it is embarrasing, they protect their self-image, by not telling other women the truth.
This also is so true. I commend you for speaking up. There is a lot of stigma regarding this. Losing your sex drive after surgery is quite embarrassing as well as emotionally upsetting. Then doctors and other women, if you confide in them, will tell you that it is all in your head, and this can even be more disturbing to a woman, especially since she knows better, but if she doesn't, then she is sent to a therapist to analzye why she doesn't "like sex" anymore. Perhaps, she will be told that she really just doesn't like her husband or her boyfriend, etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Have you explored having a UFE or UAE? It is a uterine fibroid or arterial embolization. This is performed by an Interventional Radiologist. You owe it to yourself to explore this option PRIOR to a hysterectomy. Just google search Fibroid embolization to learn all about it. Keep in mind that your OB/GYN may not be excited about the UFE because they do not get the fee for performing your hysterectomy. You can call your local hospitals and ask if their Radiologists perform this procedures. Condoleeza Rice had a UFE about 6-9 months ago and it was in the news.

Good Luck to you!

Double Ditto to this post !
I can't believe how many women have not heard of this procedure.
Well yes I can actually cause OBGYN only know how to do hysterectomies !
Like I said before, only in America do they rip out the body part that is not perfect...then make money off ya taboot !

There are only a couple of Doctors in the country who can perform the procedure and the best is at UCLA.

here is his site and that is HIM ! He is wonderful !!

Dr. Bruce Mclucas MD : Health Care for Women : Fibroid Treatment

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

436 posts, read 809,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
You are supporting this woman listening to her doctor who wants to perform a hysterectomy for fibroids. You seem supportive of women doing what a doctor recommends, and opposed to women obtaining information about conservative options in treatment.

It would be instructive if you would point out exactly what misinformation has been given out. Without correcting what you believe is incorrect your comments can only be construed as meaning that she should do what the doctor says and ignore other information that may be conservative and in her best interest.

I have responded to your post in detail. I would appreciate a professional response of the same caliber.

"In actuality, I hope the poster listens to her surgeon, rather than some of the tremendous misinformation being given here."
Yes, I support women listening to their doctors concerning their health. I also support them finding out as much information as possible, provided the information it truly accurate, and can be backed up by proved analysis. Nowhere have I ever been so bold as to post for someone NOT to seek out information.

What misinformation is being given out? How about starting with the part where NO woman ever needs to have her uterus and /or ovaries removed?

That is not a true statement. There are times when this is necessitated, or even DESIRED by the female. I know- that is heresy, but I can live with it. The decision to remove a uterus or ovaries is a two way street. The physician presents the situation, and the proposals. The patient can decide what to do. NOBODY is FORCED to sign any paperwork consenting to a surgical procedure. They are totally free to seek another opinion. Even if they do sign a consent, they can revoke it at any time period prior to the procedure. Nobody forces them to undergo an elective surgery; Nobody forces them to come in to the hospital for an admission. Personal choices, there folks.

How about the surgical procedure being "mutilation?"

Surgical procedures are done, in the far greater percentages (excluding the bad physician) in an extremely precise manner. No credible surgeon goes into surgery with the intent to "mutilate" anyone. Now, perhaps some consider the procedure itself mutilating- that is their opinion, but I will never convince them otherwise. No surgeon of repute intentionally harms any patient.

How about some of the information on the charts for the foundation; you know, chart one, times such as trouble recalling words, dry skin, dizziness, heart palpitations, sinus problems. Little things like that.

How about the second part- double vision, speech problems (from a hysterectomy?)

Many of the items on this part could be classified as potential complication results, not only from a hysterectomy, but from ANY major abdominal surgery, male or female. Some of them as well, are not necessarily a result of the surgery, but of the patients refusal or disregard to adhere to the post-operative course stated by the physician.

Nothing in this world is totally safe. No drug, no herbal, no surgery. Everything has complications, or potentials for complication. How often these occur are results of surgical ability, prior surgical history, patient response.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
I just wanted to write that I had 7 fibroids removed about 4 years ago via abdominal myomectomy. The recovery s*cked. Luckily, mine have not grown back but I've known of numerous friends who've had fibroids again follwing a myomectomy. I did 3 yrs of infertility treatments and was just dreading the thought of fibroids returning what with all the estrogen I was taking.

Two of my friends (early 40s) ended up with hysterectomies but not before careful research and several other opinions. There are a couple of less invasive procedures that I was told about by my GYN and a friend who is an interventional neuroradiologist but neither recommended those procedures because they would have interfered with - permanently in some cases - my fertility (as if I needed that).

Old 01-30-2008, 03:56 PM

I feel what Grace is questioning has not been addressed. What about this idea that women lose their sex drive after a complete hysterectomy? Do you agree or disagree with this? I would find it difficult to believe that you disagree with this because of how many woman have come forward, but I would like to hear your answer. What good are private parts if hormones don't work well enough to cause sexual arrousal in a woman, or the fact that many women lose their sex drive after a complete hysterectomy?

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-02-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 43,180 times
Default To eddiek re: hysterectomy and female castration

Of course I can only comment on my posts, not the posts of others.

[the part where NO woman ever needs to have her uterus and /or ovaries removed?]

I have not seen a post that says “NO woman ever needs to have her uterus and/or ovaries removed”. Perhaps you are referring to my statement: “A hysterectomy is never needed for fibroids, regardless of the number, size or location, unless you have the wrong doctor. If the doctor doesn’t have the skill to perform a myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroids, leaving the uterus intact), they will not be able to preserve the uterus, so you need to find a doctor who has consistently good outcomes performing myomectomy.

[That is not a true statement. There are times when this is necessitated, or even DESIRED by the female.]

If hysterectomy and/or female castration were necessitated it would mean that it was required and that a woman has no choice in whether to proceed with the surgery. Women can decide what they will and will not allow to be done to their bodies. If a woman has a life-threatening condition, and hysterectomy or castration might be life-saving, she can decide if she will agree to the surgery. It is never required.

[NOBODY is FORCED to sign any paperwork consenting to a surgical procedure. They are totally free to seek another opinion. Even if they do sign a consent, they can revoke it at any time period prior to the procedure. Nobody forces them to undergo an elective surgery; Nobody forces them to come in to the hospital for an admission. Personal choices, there folks.]

When doctors misinform or lie to women and tell them that they their life hangs in the balance if they refuse hysterectomy or castration (of course a doctor would use the word oophorectomy because if they said and while I’m there I’ll castrate you women would understand the consequences of what the doctor wants to do to them and there would be no surgery), or as often happens the Hysterectomy Consent form says “Exploratory laparoscopy and possible tah/bso” women don’t want to sign it with the caveat that hysterectomy may be performed. When they object, they’re told by doctors and nurses that “oh, all consent forms say that, but your uterus and ovaries won’t be removed”. Of course that’s utter nonsense, consent forms do not have to say possible tah/bso, it is the legal loophole as wide as the Grand Canyon that gives doctors permission to remove the uterus and ovaries and be protected from a medical malpractice lawsuit.

Moderator cut: not allowed
If your penis and testicles were severed by a surgeon with a knife it would be a damaging, mutilating surgery. Taking a knife to a woman’s female organs and removing them is damaging and mutilating, though it may be precisely so.

[No surgeon of repute intentionally harms any patient.]

Would you provide proof of the validity of this statement.

[How about some of the information on the charts for the foundation; you know, chart one, times such as trouble recalling words, dry skin, dizziness, heart palpitations, sinus problems. Little things like that.

How about the second part- double vision, speech problems (from a hysterectomy?)

Many of the items on this part could be classified as potential complication results, not only from a hysterectomy, but from ANY major abdominal surgery, male or female.]

True, the adverse effects that you singled out could result from any major surgery, and can be a temporary effect of anesthesia. Why didn’t you single out the adverse effects women report that are unique to hysterectomy and female castration, such as loss of uterine orgasm, loss of vaginal sensation, loss of feeling in the nipples, or any of the numerous adverse effects unique to female anatomy?

Let the reader beware.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-01-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM

379 posts, read 644,967 times
"When they object, they’re told by doctors and nurses that “oh, all consent forms say that, but your uterus and ovaries won’t be removed”.

This insinuation is insulting regardless of the point you are trying to get across.

Most healthcare workers are in this field because they have true compassion for humanity.

The problem this post is experiancing is related to blanket statements. No two people are ever going to have the same symptoms, reactions, or effects to the same procedure. Medicine is not black and white. For lack of a better term it is trial and error. When someone classifies a hysterectomy as something that should never be considered by any patient...it raises a red flag for me. I don't want any patient to read this thread and possibly disregard what could be a life saving procedure based upon hearsay. The same goes for blanket statements about medications. Those who are not in healthcare may not realize the impact your words can have on other people. Illness can be very scary. Medications can be very tricky. Bottom line is that people do not understand the extreme complexities of the body and how damaging it can be to "self diagnose". You could potentially harm someone who doesn't know better than take medical advice off of a public forum. Doctors undergo a tremendous amount of education and training for 10+ years....and they still make mistakes.

Last edited by Burgi; 01-30-2008 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM

436 posts, read 809,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I feel what Grace is questioning has not been addressed. What about this idea that women lose their sex drive after a complete hysterectomy? Do you agree or disagree with this? I would find it difficult to believe that you disagree with this because of how many woman have come forward, but I would like to hear your answer. What good is a are private parts if hormones don't work well enough to cause sexual arrousal in a woman, or the fact that many women lose their sex drive after a complete hysterectomy?

What is YOUR definition of COMPLETE hysterectomy?

Not all women lose their sex drive following hysterectomy, and I believe I have stated that. It is not a matter of my not saying so, it is a matter of people not listening, or wanting to admit that what I am saying is true. I have no control over how they accept my answers, any more than I have control over how they respond sexually after surgery.

Many women go on with the same or better sex lives after the hysterectomy, regardless of what the site states. A hysterectomy IS NOT the end of sexuality for everyone. I used to do statistics in college, and did take surveys as well. i know that surveys can be easily manipulated to show exactly what your predetermined result was going to be. I am not saying that is what is done, I am only stating my experiences.

I think you are assuming a lot in this regard. If you regard 'complete hysterectomy" as including the ovaries ( a wrong interpretation) then there could be a diminished sex drive. Note: diminished- not necessarily total. If the ovaries are removed, is the woman on hormones or not? What was her response level PRIOR to the surgery? What was her attitude toward sex in general? What is her attitude now?

Sorry, but there are women who look for this to be the "end all" for the sex life. I have met them; I know them. BUT- hysterectomy, even with oophorectomy need not be the end of sexual response and the sex life between two WILLNG people. It is a matter of working things out together.
TOGETHER is the key.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-02-2008 at 03:15 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM

379 posts, read 644,967 times
complete hysterectomy - removal of entire uterus including cervix

I am not saying every doctor is ethical, my posts are evidence of my beliefs. However, I do feel that the MAJORITY of health care workers are (including doctors).

The problem I have with your previous posts had more to do with the fact you added "nurses" into your statement.

This thread will show more creditability if you cite multiple respected medical websites in your statistical information.

I stand by my statement that not all patients have the same symptoms/side effects.
- As a matter of fact, my mother, 56 yrs old, had a total hysterectomy at 27 yrs old. They removed the entire uterus and cervix. They also removed her ovaries. She has been on hormones @25 yrs. She does not feel like her sexuallity and life have been ripped out of her body. Her ability to achieve orgasm never changed (yes, sadly, we have had this conversation).

The analogys you use in your thread - amputations etc are only partially true. People have the incredible ability to adapt to their surroundings. Investigate your theory a little bit deeper. The human body is an amazing thing.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by Burgi; 01-30-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness