U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM

11 posts, read 40,613 times

Advertisements

Perhaps if we put the shoe on the other foot it will make more sense to you. Let's make you the man who has had his sex organs removed. Your penis has been amputated and your testicles have been removed. You tell the surgeon that you're no longer able to have an erection, and she says "What was sex like before the surgery? Did you ever experience an erection before? Did you like sex or did you find it a useless waste of time or a nuisance?" If you respond that you enjoyed sex before and never had difficulty having an erection or orgasm, your doctor might recommend a psychiatrist to examine your psyche to explore why you suddenly no longer are able to experience an erection or orgasm, why you have lost interest in sex, and why your personality has changed and you no longer feel comfortable with sexy women who come on to you.

Or you may realize that you are not the same sexually when your sex organs are amputated. Women are not super human. When the uterus is removed the sexual response of the uterus filling with blood and ballooning during in the early excitement phase that occurs during manual stimulation cannot occur when the uterus is removed. The uterine contractions that occur during orgasm do not occur without a uterus. And the physical release that occurs with uterine orgasm cannot occur without a uterus.

Before you comment about women's sexual experiences I suggest you read Masters & Johnson's "Female Sexual Response" and Shere Hite's "The Hite Report". It is high-handed and arrogant for a man or woman to tell women that their sexual loss after having their sex organs removed may have psychological underpinnings.

"To have a doctor question a woman's psychological makeup before and after a hysterecomy is basically blaming the woman. If a woman goes into surgery thinking that she will have a sex drive afterwards and then comes out of this surgery without one, how can that possibly be psychological, and yet that is what doctors will claim?"

Again, this does to happen to, form what I see and hear, the majority off women. Things are questioned in an effort to find reasons, not place blames.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 AM

379 posts, read 525,541 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

NEVER have any kind of surgery without getting MULTIPLE opinions

ALWAYS make sure your your doctors are BOARD CERTIFIED

NEVER sign any DOCUMENT that you do not FULLY UNDERSTAND or AGREE with

NEVER listen to anyone who makes blanket statements about anything.

There are many websites that allow you to "grade" your physicians and see the grades they have recieved for FREE (Don't pay...plenty of free sites)

If you feel a doctor, nurse, or hospital has been unethical please report it! Hospital's Cheif Compliance Officer, EMTALA, OSHA, Joint Commission, State board of Medicine, American Medical Association, American College of Obstetricans and Gynecologists - many more.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-01-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM

24 posts, read 79,251 times
Jessaka and Bern, thank you for your wonderful insight about the sexual devastation that this surgery causes women.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM

436 posts, read 655,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne108 View Post
Jessaka and Bern, thank you for your wonderful insight about the sexual devastation that this surgery causes women.
I certainly hope you investigate more than this information before making a rational decision.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Your insight about young hysterectomized women who are dating is right on the mark. I counsel women who were hysterectomized and castrated as young as 11 years old. More common today are women in their late teens and early twenties who have discovered their sexuality and then abruptly had it taken from them. They often have difficulty trying to remain part of their peer group, as you pointed out, something as casual as friends talking about a guy who's hot no longer is spontaneous for hysterectomized women, it becomes intellectual. The loss of sexual feeling is much more than the act of sex, there is also a loss of sexual energy and vitality. It is as great a loss for women of all ages, but for very young women they have had very little time to even enjoy and explore their sexuality. It's a huge loss.

Your insight into the devastating effects of the surgery experienced by hysterectomized and castrated women, and your sensitivity and support is much appreciated.
Without naming names, can you give me any indication as to why an eleven year old had a hsyterectomy? And where this was performed? Even the "late teens?"

The more I read, the less I am tending to believe

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

Bern - by "council" do you mean you are a licensed councler? a psychologist? social worker? Just curious

Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM

11 posts, read 40,613 times
Default eddiek

I have responded with detailed explanations and documentation to your comments until now, however it is self-evident from your last comment that responding to you has no significance. You said, "The more I read, the less I am tending to believe", therein making it clear that the more information provided to you the less you understand and the less you believe.

Closing your mind to knowledge stunts education.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-02-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM

This may come as a shock to you, but I have difficulty in believing about eleven year olds who had hysterectomy / oophorectomy, UNLESS it was for an aggressive cancer, in which case the procedure is most likely warranted.

I did not close my mind. In fact, I asked for the circumstances in which these operations took place, without divulging the patients private information.

I am most curious, and I am not being closed mind. I am withholding a judgement, however, until more information comes forth.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Bern - So you have no professional psychological training, and no license to council?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
[Bern - So you have no professional psychological training, and no license to council?]

I am not a psychologist and I am not licensed as such, and I have never claimed to be licensed in psychology or counseling. I provide information via medical journals, textbooks, and discussion. Before founding HERS I spent two years reading and annotating medical journal articles about hysterectomy, and I continue to stay current with the medical literature. This is information that should be readily available to every woman, without requiring that she spend years researching the medical literature.
I am certain that your training easily equates to pre-med, medical school, residency and private practice.

The information of which you speak is readily available through the internet, or at libraries. All the person has to do is ask or look for it. The main thing is that women ask questions when they are faced with the decision, then make a reasonable decision, based upon their medical history and the recommendations of their physicians, not just on information form one specific sie.

If you founded HERS, could you please answer the question as to who is credited for the video clip on your web site about hysterectomy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness