U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM

739 posts, read 1,927,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
A question....what is the opinion out there, hysterectomy or not? 45 year old very healthy woman with kids, no plans for more, an enlarged uterus with fibroids, pressing on bladder and causing urgency issues. Fairly heavy cycles, but regular. Ideas?
I know someone who got a Uterine Arterial Embolization. They inject plastic pellets into the fibroids through a small tube inserted in a small incision in a vein in the groin. The pellets cut off blood supply to the fibroid and it gradually shrinks.

No hysterectomy, day surgery (45 minutes), little recovery time needed, very effective. The Radiologist does it, not a surgeon.

You want to keep all your body parts intact for all your life, even if they're on the inside where you can't see them.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,516,872 times
what happens to the pellets though? Are they removed at some point?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 777,553 times
okay, my doctor and I did an interview today with KABC on Uterine Arterial Embolization .
Should air in about 3 weeks.
This is a very hot issue now and they are trying to get the word out about the options to hysterectomy.
I'll let you know when it airs.
Good luck everyone.
Don't do anything drastic till you look into this option.
I am 45, 3 kids, fibroids with all the symptoms expressed here and this procedure gave me my life back at a very low cost for time, money, AND my body is as intact as the day I was born !!
At the very least, ask your doctor if their recommended hystercetomy for you is MEDICALLY NECESSARY or if they don't have any other options for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because there are options.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 AM

739 posts, read 1,927,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
what happens to the pellets though? Are they removed at some point?
Nothing happens to them. They're not removed. They're inert material, very small and stay in there.

The shrinking of the fibroid is very gradual over weeks and months. At some point one becomes aware the stomahc is smaller, flatter, no need to get up to p** in the middle of the night, no back pain.

They say the recovery time post procedure (it's a procedure, not surgery) is a week or two with minor pain. It was more like 3 or 4 days of very minor discomfort, no pain meds after day one, and back to work. Very effective, for this person, in this instance, and not a big deal.

This was done by the radiologist, not a surgeon, so you may have to be assertive in requesting considering it if your doctor is a surgeon. She was told it's not an experimental or unusual procedure and this was 5 or 6 years ago.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,941 times
Default I don't think you can compare orgasms of men and women

Women's sexuality is much more complex than men's is. But everyone's experience is individual and different, too. I had a total hysterectomy about a year ago. I was already post-menopausal, so there weren't any huge hormone changes after surgery, although I did have a few hot flashes. I have never taken hormone replacement therapy, and still don't. I'm in my late 50's and in good general health.

I had been concerned that I might not be able to have an orgasm after the hysterectomy, but it was a necessary thing, so I didn't spend a lot of time worrying about that. My personal experience has been that my orgasms are every bit as earth-moving and toe-curling as ever they were before the operation. It feels exactly the same, right down to that tummy fluttering feeling that I always thought was uterine contractions. Unless your clitoris was removed, your most sensitive "sexual organ" is still functioning just fine.

What I want to say is, don't give up or assume that you won't feel sexy after your hysterectomy. It's completely possible.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,516,872 times
I had a total hysterectomy in 2002 and this after years of suffering with fybroids and cysts and endometriosis. If you're suffereing with pain all the time and bleeding for weeks on end and going to (get no help from) doctors, you're glad to feel better and I feel no less a woman since the surgery. I had hormonetherapy at first but stopped because I really worried about those pills and wondered if I really needed them and I'm fine now without any meds. The hot flashes went away after some time and were nothing compared to what I had gone through for years prior. I agree some hysterectomies are not needed but I think in my case I had gone too long without getting treatment. I was told it was "all in my head" when I started to seek help for my pain and bad periods....I finally found a gynecologist who took me serious, after moving to Florida.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,221,893 times
The level to which hysterectomies are performed in this country is scary. As someone who seems to have an inordinate amount of women having hysterectomies in my family after child bearing is done (but pre-menopause) I am attempting to keep my eyes open to alternatives. My aunt is the first woman in my family who had a hysterectomy recommended & has refused the procedure. Instead for the past several years she has gone to countless doctors seeking to instead keep some very vital organs. It is ridiculous. Countless doctors are like "Well you are done having kids so what's the big deal?" My mother is also not considering that to be an option for the same problems that the other women in my family have had. So hopefully I'll actually be able to keep more of my internal organs as well, by observing what they learn. I'm in my mid 30s & I don't have much time though before the recs starting coming like they did for all the other women in my family. Maybe the fact that I don't have children yet will make the Doctors be more serious about considering alternatives.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,360,291 times
I had a partial hysterectomy about 8-9 years ago. I was thrilled--to be done with the pain, the hemorage-like periods, it is wonderful. I am not the least sorry but I already have three kids. However, I have major genetic cholesterol and it may be that it was not the best thing for that. Honestly though, at the time I could not stand the pain and I could not leave my house during my periods, so I don't regret it because the last 9 years have been much better.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM

371 posts, read 1,851,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I am in a pickle.
I have been dealing with my fibroids for about 10 years.
I had a baby via c-section (huge scar).
My doctor tells me that given my current condition of the fibroids (about 6 of them) and the scar, that if I got pregnant again, I could basically loose the baby and my own life.
I am a single mom, 38.
I was in the emergency room a month ago because the kidneys are being pressed against and caused me great pain.
Before the baby I did accupuncture, therapy, vitamins, you name it.
In the past 3 years I've slacked.
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 1/9. I was ready, but now I am having 2nd thoughts:
I don't want to loose my options for future possibilities.
Is there another kind of surgery to take the tumors out and leave the uterus intact.
What about medication.
My doctor told me that the placement of the tumors make surgery of the tumor only difficult.
Is there anyone out there who truly knows of something I can research and follow up on?
The other issue is that I am on Cobra, and it will eventually run out, after I will be on my own insurance because I am an independent. The issue of pre-existing condition is creating a time factor for which action is necessary.

Thank you.
Well I feel for you, but I am here to tell you that you do have options. I had a myomectomy in 2000, at age 34 years old and gave birth to my son in 2002. I had MANY fibroids! I, in fact, have had them return, but I won't have them removed because in another few years I will be to menopause. They can now freeze fibroids and a lot of other options. Good luck to you and don't give up, but do keep the momentum for the sake of your COBRA insurance.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:57 AM

24 posts, read 79,207 times
Most women have a hysterectomy done because that is the only option the doctor gives them. Doctor's are being deceptive when they recommend a hysterectomy and don't inform women of all of the alternatives (and that's usually the case). It's terrible how they are deceiving women just so they can make money. There is almost no reason for a hysterectomy but cancer, yet it has been done to 1/3 of the population of women in the United States.

If you weren't informed of all the alternatives and side effects, then you were deceived. The U.S. does not enforce informed consent laws so the doctors can tell you whatever they want and it doesn't matter if it's true or not. They have totally unchecked power. They can take a perfectly healthy woman, remove all her healthy female organs without her consent and for no valid medical reason, and it is completely legal. It is being done every day. Women need to educate and protect themselves.

If this is not stopped, in the very near future one-half of the women in the United States will not have female organs. This is a national emergency and every person should be alarmed.

While many women find hysterectomy a relief from heavy bleeding and pain, they could find the same relief from alternative methods that would save their organs. It's barbaric to remove organs when they can be fixed. It's not pleasant to find out later that you were deceived and that only a minor surgery would have given you the same results. Sometimes the remedy doesn't even include surgery, but the doctors don't make enough money off safe alternatives. We live in a sad world where this is allowed to go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness