Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Wherever I feel the first indicators, I immediately drop what I'm doing and run and gulp down a bunch of Vitamin C, at least 5,000 mg. I find that the best cheap and readily available natural source is little key limes, made into a strong hot lemonade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I had a very mild cold that lasted for two days. As soon as I started getting symptoms, I did EFT tapping. I tapped on all of the normal points on the head, face, and chest and added a point (I didn't know it at the time, but the point I added - which was on the cheek connects to the lungs). It was super effective and I am so happy I discovered that this works for colds.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Homeopathic remedy Aconitum Napellus, take as directed by nutritionist at health food store, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers (they have the best prices). Make sure you speak to an actual nutritionist rather than a sales clerk. Most of the time, it knocks the cold out right away before it even develops. With homeopathic, don't touch the pills, put them in the cap, and shake them under your tongue, let them dissolve. Also, don't eat or drink anything 30 min. before and after use. The first day, take it 4 or 5 times a day. Possibly the same the second day. I was told some remedies work for some people and not others. If it doesn't work, move on to a different homeopathic remedy.

Also, the NeillMed saline sinus rinse kit knocks outs a sinus infection without any meds. Most pharmacies carry the NeillMed kit. It contains a squeeze bottle for the solution (water plus a packet each time you rinse), and 50 or 100 packets of the rinse. It's better than homemade, I've found. It completely knocked out a bad sinus infection last year in about 4-5 days and I felt great.

The NeillMed rinse is good because it cleans out all of the yellow stringy/clumpy mucus on your sinus passages, and it also cleans out the drip in your throat. You will see it all go down the drain, and the sinus infection goes down the drain, too. It really works!

Last edited by 'M'; 04-14-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
For what it's worth, I saw a feature the other day about putting a slice of raw onion in your sock under the sole of your foot when you go to bed at night -- supposed to quickly knock out flu-like symptoms. Worth a try.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,958 times
I also take C and yin chiao for colds. Also, hot tea and chicken soup works wonders.

I have never seen anything work faster or more effectively for colds than yin chiao. I have literally felt the cold disappearing the same day of taking it. Now it does depend on the strain of the cold, also taking it immediately of the first sign of a cold is the important thing.

I also think the saline nasal spray really helps preventing or when having a cold.
I really like Arm & Hammer saline spray.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,958 times
^^^^^wanted to add - frequently washing hands with soap & hot water. I also spray handles in the house with Lysol. All these little things really make a difference.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:40 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
^^^^^wanted to add - frequently washing hands with soap & hot water. I also spray handles in the house with Lysol. All these little things really make a difference.
70's Music Girl...yes, having worked in a hospital that was supervised by an Infection Control Department, both hand washing and using spray disinfectants to wipe down frequently handled items/furniture/phones/keyboards/door knobs, etc REALLY keep down the spread of colds and other kinds of infectious illnesses. Also, using a portable air filter in enclosed areas cuts illness way down. Our department was a testament to these procedures. We went from having many employees out sick, to cutting way back on sick time. I'm glad I had a chance to see the impact that these kinds of infection control behaviors can have on reduced employee sick times. Made a believer out of me!!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I make my magic soup when I'm starting to get ill - sweet potato, carrot, spinach and either chicken or chorizo. Doubt it actually does anything to stop a cold developing but makes me feel better and gets rid of symptoms.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM

708 posts, read 823,584 times
I'm convinced that being Iodine sufficient weakens or prevents you from getting colds.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I take elderberry syrup, extra vitamin D, extra vitamin C and oil of oregano when I know that I've been exposed to a cold or any illness really and I almost always either avoid the cold completely or I get an extremely mild version. My whole family had the worst cold I have seen in a long time and I took my supplements and I just had the mildest of mild symptoms, barely noticeable. This has worked for stomach bugs and flu as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness