U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,632,270 times

Advertisements

Hahahahaha!!!!!!! Freakin' hilarious!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
OH LIGHTEN UP AND LAUGH A BIT
I TOO SUFFER DAILY FROM FIBRO AND IT IS NOT A FUN THING. BEEN A GEUIAN PIG BEEN ON LYRCIA NOTHING HELPS BUT LAUGHTER
VERY YOUNG 42 AND HAVE BEEN SUFFERING 7 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Do you have Fibromyalgia? If you don't, you can't even imagine the constant body pain. When you are in that much pain daily, all night...all day!! It is so stressfull to the body. You are almost willing to try anything to stop the pain. Yes, those side effects scare us to death, but we hurt, we really constantly hurt. It is no fun. So please if you could be a little more gentle on our pain it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid this one though, Lyrica. It is so scary taking new drugs. They do make it sound like somewhat of a tranquilizer. I am tired of being tired. I am tired of the pain. I am tired of being physically useless. I may not appear that way, but my body is screaming 24/7 pain. I guess we will try anything to stop that. I hope you never have to go through any disease like this, it hurts. My case might even be going as far as MS. I stay in pain. When I saw that commercial, I thought oh good, they finally came out with something that is going to work, but then I saw the side effects and kinda put it aside for a minute. Any way just wanted to try and enlighten you on us idiots in pain, but for the most part you are right. Thanks for listening.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM

10,194 posts, read 22,675,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
PinkString wrote:
I saw something on a commercial once for snoring. The drug was to help stop snoring, but the side effects were tiredness, headaches, muscle aches and diarrhea. Hell, id rather just snore! lol
That's true for most of the drugs being hawked on TV. The potential side effects are worse than the symptom supposedly being treated.

Laura707 wrote:
We can no longer blindly listen to our doctors and trust the medicines they give us. We have to take a active role in learning all we can about ALL methods of treatment, side effects and possiable complications verses benifits.
Placing blind trust in doctors and drugs is one of the most foolish errors a person can make.

blessings....Franco
You are so right about not trusting doctors and drugs. I am currently reading "Prescription Alternatives" by Earl Mindell. It's a nice big book filled with a lot of very interesting information about many nice people going to their doctor for cure-alls and instead coming out with 5 or more prescriptions for pills that will only make them feel worse! Each pill has side effects that sends the person back to the trusting doctor only to have more pills to take, with more side effects,etc.

As for the person with fibromyalgia, from much research, that is caused by what you are eating. Grains seem to be the biggest problem there, as in wheat products.
Keep trusting your doctors people, and you will end up feeling a lot worse in the long run, and never getting better. Since pills only mask symptoms, they do not cure you. Only lifestyle changes will cure you, but most people just want a pill.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,113,798 times
I know someone that cured her Fibro with raw carrot juice, but I agree most people would probably rather take a pill.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,930,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
....We can no longer blindly listen to our doctors and trust the medicines they give us. We have to take a active role in learning all we can about ALL methods of treatment, side effects and possiable complications verses benifits.
This last paragraph in your post is 100% sound advice. Just for the record, I don't know any competent physicians that expect you to "BLINDLY" listen to them. Carefully listening to patient feedback and questions makes them a better physician, and increases the chance to improve your health.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Things the Dr.s are REALLY thinking:

"Well, what have we here...?"
(He has no idea and is hoping you'll give him a clue.)

* "Let me check your medical history."
(I want to see if you've paid your last bill before spending any more time with you.)

* "Why don't we make another appointment later in the week."
(I am playing golf this afternoon, and this a waste of time or I need the bucks, so I am charging you for another office visit.)

* "We have some good news and some bad news."
(The good news is, I am going to buy that new BMW. The bad news is, you're going to pay for it.)

* Let's see how it develops."
(Maybe in a few days it will grow into something that can be cured.)

* "Let me schedule you for some tests."
(I have a forty-percent interest in the lab.)

* I'd like to have my associate look at you."
( He's going through a messy divorce and owes me a bundle.)

* I'd like to prescribe a new drug."
( I'm writing a paper and would like to use you for a guinea pig.)

* "If it doesn't clear up in a week, give me a call."
(I don't know what it is. Maybe it will go away by itself.)

* That's quite a nasty looking wound."
(I think I'm going to throw up.)

* "This may smart a little."
(Last week two patients bit off their tongues.)

* "Well, we're not feeling so well today, are we?"
( I'm stalling for time. Who are you and why are you here?)

* "This should fix you up."
(The drug company slipped me some big bucks to prescribe this stuff.)

* "Everything seems to be normal."
(Rats! I guess I can't buy that new beach condo after all.)

* I'd like to run some more tests."
(I can't figure out what's wrong. Maybe the kid in the lab can solve this one.)

* "Do you suppose all this stress could be affecting your nerves?"
( You're crazier than an outhouse rat. Now, if I can only find a shrink who'll split fees with me.)

* "There is a lot of that going around."
(My God, that's the third one this week. I'd better learn something about this.)

* "If those symptoms persist, call for an appointment."
( I've never heard of anything so disgusting. Thank God I'm off next week
Excellent sense of humor. I enjoyed your list. Here are a few additional points from a different perspective:

* Doctor: "Can you tell me exactly where it hurts the most"
Patient: "Mostly at home".

* Doctor: "You know Mrs. B. you are 86 years old, and you may need to
slow down some. When do your joints hurt the most".
Patient: "They only hurt when I'm helping my son pour concrete".

* Patient: "Can you prescribe that drug my neighbor's sister takes?"
Doctor: "What is the name of the medication?"
Patient: "I don't remember, but I think it starts with an "A".

* Patient: "Do you think we could hurry this up a bit? I'm parked in a
striped red zone".
Doctor: "Are you referring to Ambulance loading area?

* Patient: "You know my husband travels a lot".
Doctor: "This is an ingrown toenail Mrs. J. You can put your blouse back
on.

* Patient: "I'd like some of that new drug I saw on TV last night".
Doctor: " Do you realize the cost is $35 per tablet?"
Patient: " I figured MediCaid would pay for it"

* Patient: "Look at these red lines going up my leg."
Doctor: "This could indicate a very serious infection. You will need to be
on antibiotics"
Patient: "OK, but pick one that's cheap". I should get it from my
mail order pharmacy in about 3 weeks."

* Patient: "This is ridiculous. I have been stuck in your waiting room for two
hours".
Doctor: "I am sorry, but you are not my patient. Your physician
changed offices two years ago."

* Patient: "I saw all the diplomas on your wall. I bet you think your smart".
Doctor: (I'll bet she has memorized the PDR, and spends all her time on
the Internet).

* Patient: "I demand the very best care available. Did I mention my
son-in-law is an attorney?"
Doctor: "Yes, several times now." (I knew I should have gone to Law
school.)

Humor is a two way street.
Patient:

Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM

7,769 posts, read 17,218,414 times
GLS wrote:
This last paragraph in your post is 100% sound advice. Just for the record, I don't know any competent physicians that expect you to "BLINDLY" listen to them. Carefully listening to patient feedback and questions makes them a better physician, and increases the chance to improve your health.
The keyword here is competent. Those who aspire to be competent physicians rather than playing God, are the good ones. We need more good ones.

BTW, I loved your jokes!

blessings....Franco

Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
GLS wrote:
The keyword here is competent. Those who aspire to be competent physicians rather than playing God, are the good ones. We need more good ones.

BTW, I loved your jokes!

blessings....Franco

Glad you liked the jokes. In addition, your point is well taken. We all need to remember that "M.D." does not stand for "Major Deity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or