Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 14,904 times

Advertisements

All of the aove advise is great and works. It is simply finding what one it is for you. If modification of your diet does not relieve it, you can use docusate sodium (colace) which is very mild and can be used daily without causing further difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I second what Jessaka said..most of us do not eat nearly enough fiber, exercise or drink enough water.

Change white bread into whole grain bread, eat salads, raw apples, raw carrots, baked potatoes with skin, beans, have bran flakes or oatmeal for breakfast, drink 6-8 glasses of water a day (not soft drinks, coffee or alcoholic drinks which actually deplete your fluids)--and your problems will be over.

Make a high fiber soup with beans (kidney, pinto, black beans or an assortment--use canned to make it easier if you like), celery, carrots, lentils, barley, tomato sauce, garlic and onions and you'll be getting a whole lot of delicious fiber plus vitamins and minerals.

If you don't want to moderate your eating habits then you'll have to depend on some over-the-counter medication/supplement to supply the fiber...much better to do it the natural way, with your food and water. Helps prevent colon cancer, too.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,017 times
For a quick fix take Milk of Magnesia. It definitely works and it's way better than Exlax and other laxatives which often give you stomach cramps. It usually takes an hour or two to work but when it does you'll require a few trips to the bathroom. I find it's best to take the Milk of Magnesia at night when you get home from work (and you're sure to be home for the evening) or even before bed. That way you don't need to stay close to home all day (as you would if you took it in the morning or during a busy day).

Old 12-02-2007, 01:54 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
There are so many things that you can do. First and foremost: you need to reevaluate your diet. Constipation can mean that your diet is lacking fiber, fresh green vegetables and fruits. Do you eat a lot of empty carbs? Starch?

1.You need to fill your diet with deep green leafy vegetables.

2.You need to start juicing with fruits and vegetables.

3.Drink tons and tons of water

4. Eat bowel promoting foods like prunes, sweet potatoes.

5. Start supplementing with flax. It's filled with fiber. However, when you have a really bad case of constipation, too much fiber can even do more harm then good.

6.Please check out website below. This website has a wealth of information on how to deal with constipation. Written by people who specialize on dealing with constipation, you will find your answers below.

Constipation Solutions (http://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com/pilot.asp?pg=constipation - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Can I also humbly suggest something else and ask you couple of things?

Are you a meat eater? If no, then nevermind. But if yes, I would suggest a 75%/25%ratio. What it means that on your plate you should have 75% of veggies and only 25% of meat. It shockes me how much meat Americans (and Russians (where I'm from) eat. In order to have a healthy colon, it's very important what the ratio of veggies vs meat is on your plate.

Also, have you taken antibiotics lately? If yes, what can be happening is you might not be having enough friendly bacteria in your body which can be the reason you are constipated.

I suggest strongly that you supplement with probiotics. Even a person who has no problems with their health should once in the while supplement with probiotics to build up that friendly bacteria.

Also, do some research on colonics. You might need to get one.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Koncil twice a day,no more problems.Six grams of fiber.Purchase at Walmart.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 AM

29 posts, read 180,887 times
have you gotten relief yet? What you might need is more soluble fiber. It absorbs toxins and helps to neutralize the bacteria that cause the gas. The gas is most likely caused by your body having difficutly digesting the food you are eating. Soluble fiber is in fruits and vegetables, i.e. the white on the outside of an orange after you peel it. Also, cut back on meat, it has too rot in the body to be digested. And cut out processed foods, white sugar and white flour. These aggravate both of your problems.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
also try apricot nectar (juice). tastes much better than prune.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
I agree with the other posters. Your best bet is to eat more fruits and vegetables, drink more water, and stay active. A cup of coffee in the morning also helps.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I agree with the other posters. Your best bet is to eat more fruits and vegetables, drink more water, and stay active. A cup of coffee in the morning also helps.
coffee and a cigarette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness