Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM

360 posts, read 712,288 times

Advertisements

I have had insomnia for the past couple of years. I found out it was from anxiety and was on 20mg of Lexapro until October 2013. I weaned myself off, as I was sleeping and breathing better with the help of Melatonin.

Ever since, my sleep has declined, the melatonin doesn’t work as well for me anymore and now I am waking up between 1am - 3am every night and not falling back asleep until 5:30am or 6am. This has been going on for the past several months. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I probably need to get back on some sort of anxiety medication in order to sleep correctly. I have an appointment with my doc in 3 weeks and I’ll be sure to ask for a prescription.

In the meantime, I need to figure out the healthiest and best way to get through these next few weeks:

Option 1) My girlfriend suffers from insomnia as well for the past 10 years. She takes 10mg of Ambien before she falls asleep and it seems to help her a lot. She’s offered to cut them in half and give me 5mg before bed. I’ve done this a few times and it does help, I usually sleep throughout the night with no problems. However, I’m a little nervous to start taking these as I’m not sure if I like the side effects and I feel weird popping pills every night before sleep.

Option 2) I am a very casual marijuana smoker (maybe once a month on average) but I have it around the house. Last night, I smoked a bit around 1:30am when I woke up and it helped me fall back asleep by 2:30am and I’m feeling fully rested today. However, I don’t want to mess up my lungs (I’m a runner) or my head (I am a Director level at a corporate job). I need to think on my feet and present information for others on a daily basis.

Option 3) Toss and turn all night. Not take anything and be a zombie the next day. Something I’m willing to do, but I don’t know if that is the healthiest - this option obviously makes me feel the worst in the morning and I look like I’m dragging and tired all day.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
OP---I do feel for you!

I have trouble sleeping, too, its an involved story but my doctor does give me Ambien, enough for every night if needed, and refills! So many doctors simply won't prescribe it, saying its addictive

Last night my ds 16 told me he hadn't slept in 4 nights. I gave him a 10 mg, he slept "like a log" and woke up feeling so much better. I just wish those doctors who are so willing to shove Adderal, Seroquel, etc down him could see the difference a good night's sleep made in him!

For OP, perhaps you could try to get a referral to a sleep clinic? If you could somehow document that you really can't sleep, perhaps they might give you something stronger than melatonin.

Lack of sleep is not just a nuisance, it can be dangerous, even fatal in severe cases.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
I'm in CO where it is legal...edibles is the way to go...cookies, or just use some
oil or butter on a piece of bread....mmj oil or butter you can buy at a dispensary.
Or I can tell you how to make it.
Use indika, indica (sp?) Not sateeva mmj.

Mmj= medical marijuana

Xanax and a glass of wine doesn't do it, huh?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
I found that caffeine was keeping me awake if I had tea/coffee after 1PM. I used to be able to handle caffeine until 7PM. Years later I had to change the cutoff time to 5PM, then 1PM.

OP, this probably isn't your issue, but I wanted to bring it up just in case.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

360 posts, read 712,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I found that caffeine was keeping me awake if I had tea/coffee after 1PM. I used to be able to handle caffeine until 7PM. Years later I had to change the cutoff time to 5PM, then 1PM.

OP, this probably isn't your issue, but I wanted to bring it up just in case.
I will admit I do have caffeine until the afternoon. I usually am a sucker for a cup of coffee around 3pm or so. I'll try stopping at 1pm and seeing if that helps.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

503 posts, read 1,203,653 times
I get sleeping problems occasionally. I'll fall asleep OK but wake up at say 2AM to urinate and can't fall back to sleep. My Doctor gave me a prescription for 10mg of Ambien. It works great but I only use it about twice a month.

What I do is I have a pill cutter and cut the 10mg tablet into about 5 pieces and just take one small piece when I can't sleep.

This way I'm taking far less medication and it works for me.

Long term insomnia is bad for your health. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
If I drink any amount of alcohol I will wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall back asleep. Even a beer at 3pm will do it.

I don't think marijuana is a bad way to go if it helps, edibles are a good idea if you are comfortable with that route.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
Besides Melatonin you can also look up Valerian root. The weed might work well also. I found that if I made it into a tea its alot smoother and more relaxing, use it with a sleepy time type of tea so you cant taste the pot, my tea was real easy, open a tea bag up carefully and take out some tea leaves and put your stuff in and then I staple the bag and use that and a real tea bag, boil some water put it all together with a spoon full of butter ( it wont work without a fat for the thc to bind to) I usually let it steep of about 10 to 15 mins in my spillproof cup and then good to go. Not alot of smell either.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I agree with Miss Hepburn. I have a small stash of MMJ edibles that I mainly use for the worst of my sinus headaches - maybe every couple of months I'll have one. However, I also sometimes have jags of insomnia due to stress - when it gets really bad, I will take one of my edibles. It usually works pretty well as long as I'm careful to stay hydrated. I wake up feeling pretty good.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Magnesium pill and a calcium pill one hour prior to bed time should do the trick. Add in a hot bath..and nighty night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness