Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 02:34 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times

Advertisements

My bathroom is too small for a walker/with seat.

But the raised toilet seat is a good idea. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I was 64 when I had surgery to fuse all the joints (5 of them) in the mid-area of my foot (the lis franc area) and was non-weight-bearing for 5+ months.

My post on the first page explains how I used a wheelchair -- and also how I managed to deal with inconveniences during recovery. I had tried crutches and a knee walker/scooter before the surgery and didnt like either one. The wheelchair and a walker at the entrance to the bathroom worked perfectly for me.

I healed perfectly, even at my age, because I followed my doctor's instruction to the letter. You'll hear from people who complain about the side effects of every surgery they've ever had. You have to realize that the common factor in those surgeries is THEM, so dont be scared off by their grim advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
BUMP.

Bimalleolar fracture and dislocation of my LEFT ankle on 9/5. Did it in Truckee, CA on our way to look at realestate south of the Bay Area.

Was told I was LUCKY as the best ankle/foot surgeon IN THE STATE was on-call at the local hospital. Had surgery same day and returned home the next.

I'm not going crazy - actually I was a month out for retirement anyway - so this hastened it. Thank God for FMLA.

MY question - I have the knee scooter and crutches. HATEthe crutches. My Left Arm HURTS... from boosting myself off the toilet. TINY bathroom.

Maybe I should have gotten a walker?

Suggestions welcome.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:11 PM
mlb

Well I am 64 and am following doctor orders to the letter of the law.

I want to return to FULL USE.

I am too young for this - hah!

Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 PM
mlb

Raised toilet seat with arms?

Worth Every Penny.

My left arm is on it's way to recovery.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh. I am going to go crazy over the next few weeks. I tore my Achilles tendon a few weeks ago and had surgery two weeks ago. I am non weight bearing on that foot for FIVE MORE WEEKS. That means, either off the foot completely, or crutches (royal pain) or knee scooter (less of a pain each step, but a hassle all the same and hard to navigate around the house).

To further complicate things, my husband has been home with me the past three weeks, but is heading off to work out of town for three weeks in a few days. This means I will be completely alone - other than my two dogs and my cat. We've tried to streamline things so that it's easy for me to care for the pets and myself, and I will be able to drive a little (it's my right foot but I taught myself how to drive with my left foot prior to the surgery). But getting the knee scooter in and out of the car by myself is a challenge -and honestly I'm a danger to myself trying to get up and about too much. I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands every time I navigate across the house!

I actually fell backwards onto my injured foot the other day and sprained the ankle to add injury to insult! So that increased my non weight bearing time by a couple more weeks. Grrrrrr.....

PT will start once I get out of the robocop boot, but for the next three weeks I am basically house bound. I have a friend who will be bringing over some stuff for me to make some cards for some nursing home patients (like scrap booking stuff) - I'm pretty good at that sort of crafty stuff, so that should be a little fun (even as I type it, it sounds so lame!).

Does anyone have any ideas about projects or things to do from inside the house? Any hints about how to do things easier? Any funny stories? Help a sister out here!

Oh no...that hurts! Feel better soon.

Now's the time to get into crossword puzzles....they keep you focused and exercise your brain. How about adult coloring?

Games on CD and games on your tablet.

Position yourself to clean out a few drawers and cabinets...check spice dates and other foods for out of dates...go through clothing, books, etc. for donations.

Read, read, read. I just read a book about you ...well, it's Katherine of Aragon by Alison Weir, historical fiction

Watch documentaries and PBS shows on tv instead of sitcoms. TCM channel shows classic movies 24/7.

Get a garden catalog and dream of next year's garden.

Write actual letters to someone...most still love to get real mail instead of twitter or email. My friend's daughter at college said a letter from me was the only mail she got instead of flyers etc.

Make lists for things others can do around the house for you.

Make sure you have a will, power of attorney and medical power of attorney on file.

Order household items online so they are delivered to your home... especially good savings on bulk purchase paper towels, toilet tissue, etc.

Be careful as you go about your day.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I had never heard of this type of injury before until a relative suffered it, and then I read this: https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis...upture-tendons

I am sure you are probably aware of the associations, but just wanted to point out the cause of some of these injuries in case you were not aware.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 788 times
I was the proud recipient of Chicago's first broken ankle of the winter on November 26. I was hoping for a sprang, but sadly the ER informed me I had broken the ankle. I remained optimistic that I would not require surgery as the pain was somewhat more tolerable than I had envisioned. A week after my fall I was informed that I would in fact require surgery. Thankfully I was fortunate enough to be in the cable hands of one of Chicago's most sought after Orthopedic Surgeons. His office squeezed me in for an immediate surgery that following Monday (only 3 days to let it all sink in!).

It was an outpatient surgery and from start to finish until my release it lasted about 6 hours. The recovery process wasn't quite as bad as I anticipated (have I mentioned I'm incredibly anxious). It's been almost 3 weeks and despite a few restless nights here and there due to pain (mostly a pressure, or swelling feeling in the foot at night) it hasn't been too awful. The worst part for me, is the cabin fever and having to rely on others for assistance. I am an incredibly self reliant person and I do not enjoy having to ask for help. Also, I live on the third floor of a rented house with five flights of stairs to the entry door. Needless to say, if I want to go anywhere my husband has to carry me up and down as if he is carrying me over the thread hold like a brand new bride.

In closing I will say this...despite the ups and downs, and with honesty there have been many in the form of isolation from the rest of the world and the sheer boredom from restrictive physicality. I am very fortunate. For some of us, it sometimes takes a truly catastrophic life event to shake us from our everyday humdrum complicate behavior to see the value of our own lives.

Someone very important to me has always used the phrase,..."everything takes time".

Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness