Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh. I am going to go crazy over the next few weeks. I tore my Achilles tendon a few weeks ago and had surgery two weeks ago. I am non weight bearing on that foot for FIVE MORE WEEKS. That means, either off the foot completely, or crutches (royal pain) or knee scooter (less of a pain each step, but a hassle all the same and hard to navigate around the house).

To further complicate things, my husband has been home with me the past three weeks, but is heading off to work out of town for three weeks in a few days. This means I will be completely alone - other than my two dogs and my cat. We've tried to streamline things so that it's easy for me to care for the pets and myself, and I will be able to drive a little (it's my right foot but I taught myself how to drive with my left foot prior to the surgery). But getting the knee scooter in and out of the car by myself is a challenge -and honestly I'm a danger to myself trying to get up and about too much. I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands every time I navigate across the house!

I actually fell backwards onto my injured foot the other day and sprained the ankle to add injury to insult! So that increased my non weight bearing time by a couple more weeks. Grrrrrr.....

PT will start once I get out of the robocop boot, but for the next three weeks I am basically house bound. I have a friend who will be bringing over some stuff for me to make some cards for some nursing home patients (like scrap booking stuff) - I'm pretty good at that sort of crafty stuff, so that should be a little fun (even as I type it, it sounds so lame!).

Does anyone have any ideas about projects or things to do from inside the house? Any hints about how to do things easier? Any funny stories? Help a sister out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
Hi. So sorry to hear about your injury and predicament!

I feel your pain; I was laid up at home for 6 months, out of work and not able to do much at all. Luckily I had friends to help me out, take me to the Dr., etc. Spent a bunch of time on the phone talking with friends. Watched the news and slept a lot because I was on pain pills. Concentrating on anything wasn't on the list! lol

Do you have a relative who could come for a week or so to help and to distract you?

If you don't already have hobbies, maybe this is the time to read a good book or rent some movies. If you have some more crafts to do, that would be helpful. Sorry, I have to add here that this is your time to heal. And as you have already found out, doing it the wrong way will only cost you more down time. Concentrate more on you than anything else.

If I think of anything else I'll post back. Try not to fret--it will end and you can be yourself again!

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 02-22-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Hi Kathyrn:
I just had a hip replaced a few months ago and spent ALOT of time on CityData ! Also watched TV, read, watched movies, and such. But I had to walk as much as I was able, so I got in the car when I felt good and went out. Just getting out of the house even for an hour brightened my mood. Take the crutches and make them work for you. If that's too scary, call your local nursing aid business and get someone to come in a couple hours a week (or day) to help out. I got to know my PT because he stayed and talked to me after the therapy. Good luck. Time flies, you will see.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
So sorry about your surgery, Kathryn. I had surgery to fuse all the joints of my mid-foot in November 2010 and was non-weight-bearing for 5 months. I couldnt get out of bed at all for the first 2 months and I live alone -- so my time at first was spent watching TV, reading, spit-bathing (which can take a good part of the day when you're on pain meds ) and grooming (ditto).

I had packed my nightstands with lots of books, snacks, drinks, meds, rubbing alcohol (for bathing) etc in advance...everything I might need those first 2 months. Fortunately, I love reading and I also bought a TV for my bedroom. I had planned to take up knitting during that time but discovered I didnt have the patience for it. Still, I was so bored that I actually looked forward to my surgeon checkups, as painful as they were at time.

My next-door neighbor delivered my mail as well as homemade meals every day. And my adult daughter took in my dog during that time. I was so lonely without the dog but I couldnt have cared for her. Without their support, I dont know how I'd have managed.

I had bought a wheelchair from Amazon in advance. (I had tried out crutches and a knee scooter and didnt care for either one.) I also bought a walker that I left at the bathroom door entrance, so I used the wheelchair to get there and then use the walker to hop around on my good foot inside the bathroom. I also bought a teak stool so I could sit down when showering and a great foot-cast-cover, as well, so I didnt have to worry about standing up in the shower or getting my cast wet when I was finally able to start taking showers.

By the 3rd month I was able to use the wheelchair to get around the house but steps at the front and back entrances meant that I couldnt go outside at all. I spent a lot of the next 3 months on the computer, reading C-D threads and the news and playing POGO.

P.S. I'd recommend your getting a wheelchair, as it's much easier to maneuver than a knee scooter. You can rent them fairly cheaply. I'd have rented one locally but I need to have the other foot joints fused eventually so I opted just to buy one.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-22-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
So sorry about your surgery, Kathryn. I had surgery to fuse all the joints of my mid-foot in November 2010 and was non-weight-bearing for 5 months. I couldnt get out of bed at all for the first 2 months and I live alone -- so my time at first was spent watching TV, reading, spit-bathing (which can take a good part of the day when you're on pain meds ) and grooming (ditto).

I had packed my nightstands with lots of books, snacks, drinks, meds, rubbing alcohol (for bathing) etc in advance...everything I might need those first 2 months. Fortunately, I love reading and I also bought a TV for my bedroom. I had planned to take up knitting during that time but discovered I didnt have the patience for it. Still, I was so bored that I actually looked forward to my surgeon checkups, as painful as they were at time.

My next-door neighbor delivered my mail as well as homemade meals every day. And my adult daughter took in my dog during that time. I was so lonely without the dog but I couldnt have cared for her. Without their support, I dont know how I'd have managed.

I had bought a wheelchair from Amazon in advance. (I had tried out crutches and a knee scooter and didnt care for either one.) I also bought a walker that I left at the bathroom door entrance, so I used the wheelchair to get there and then use the walker to hop around on my good foot inside the bathroom. I also bought a teak stool so I could sit down when showering and a great foot-cast-cover, as well, so I didnt have to worry about standing up in the shower or getting my cast wet when I was finally able to start taking showers.

By the 3rd month I was able to use the wheelchair to get around the house but steps at the front and back entrances meant that I couldnt go outside at all. I spent a lot of the next 3 months on the computer, reading C-D threads and the news and playing POGO.

P.S. I'd recommend your getting a wheelchair, as it's much easier to maneuver than a knee scooter. You can rent them fairly cheaply. I'd have rented one locally but I need to have the other foot joints fused eventually so I opted just to buy one.
Thank you so much for your encouragement! It means a lot to me - and WOW, you had a rough row to hoe - hope you completely healed and are doing great now.

I do love reading and I love Netflix, and like you and others I have a good "base of operations" with a little mini fridge and microwave and even a little coffee maker/bar area on the dresser. I can get up but I just can't put any and I mean ANY weight on this foot for the next five weeks at least. That's the most difficult part. Thankfully I have good upper body strength -good strength in general - so I can get in and out of the bathtub - for me, a good long soaking bath and feeling freshened up makes me feel so much better. I got some bath salts and ahhhhhhhhh...I use a bath stool to sit next to the bathtub and maneuver my self in and out. I just go slowly slowly...

This is my second achilles tendon surgery - the first was on the other foot three years ago and was a resounding success, but my situation was different - my husband didn't work out of town, and also, I didn't fall a week after surgery and complicate things with a badly sprained ankle. The first surgery I could put a little weight on the foot after two weeks also, so walking with crutches was not so difficult. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to use crutches when you are 100 percent non weight bearing. I had no idea prior to this. But this time, I can really tell a difference - I guess it is the sprain. There is no way I could put even the tiniest amount of weight on this foot - totally out of the question, and I am following doctor's orders to a tee because I want the same greatly successful recovery as the first time and the other foot.

Last time, I tried a wheelchair but for me, a knee scooter works best in my house - plus I can get it in and out of the car by myself, actually while sitting in the car and just lifting it up and around. I mean, I am not driving now, but I will be before five weeks is up. Last time, I was driving within two weeks, but like I said, I could put a little weight on the foot to balance myself. This time IS trickier. But like I said, I do have really good upper body strength as well as a very strong left leg, so maybe that helps when it comes to a knee scooter. Crutches on the other hand...wow, my balance isn't good enough for those at ALL. I feel like I am in imminent danger the whole time I'm using them! But I rotate them out some - my bathroom, for instance, is just a few steps away so I often use the crutches to get in there. I imagine that the scooter AND the wheelchair are a buggar bear to try to navigate in small spaces!

That's the most frustrating thing - everything is difficult - EVERYTHING! Grrrrr!

But this is teaching me more empathy for those who live with disabilities every day, that's for sure. I mean, I had empathy already due to my first round with this surgery, but this time I REALLY have it in abundance, because of the complete NWB aspect as well and being alone so much of the time.

Thank you for sharing your story and advice!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi Kathyrn:
I just had a hip replaced a few months ago and spent ALOT of time on CityData ! Also watched TV, read, watched movies, and such. But I had to walk as much as I was able, so I got in the car when I felt good and went out. Just getting out of the house even for an hour brightened my mood. Take the crutches and make them work for you. If that's too scary, call your local nursing aid business and get someone to come in a couple hours a week (or day) to help out. I got to know my PT because he stayed and talked to me after the therapy. Good luck. Time flies, you will see.
I agree - those little changes in routine are a breath of fresh air. We've had some spring like days the last few days and it has felt SO GOOD to get out and sit on the porch for awhile. I had been feeling like Jabba the Hut or Gollum sitting propped up in bed for days on end with a thousand pillows!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Hi. So sorry to hear about your injury and predicament!

I feel your pain; I was laid up at home for 6 months, out of work and not able to do much at all. Luckily I had friends to help me out, take me to the Dr., etc. Spent a bunch of time on the phone talking with friends. Watched the news and slept a lot because I was on pain pills. Concentrating on anything wasn't on the list! lol

Do you have a relative who could come for a week or so to help and to distract you?

If you don't already have hobbies, maybe this is the time to read a good book or rent some movies. If you have some more crafts to do, that would be helpful. Sorry, I have to add here that this is your time to heal. And as you have already found out, doing it the wrong way will only cost you more down time. Concentrate more on you than anything else.

If I think of anything else I'll post back. Try not to fret--it will end and you can be yourself again!
Six months! Wow!

This is my second achilles tendon surgery - thank God we only have two and the surgical repair has a high success rate - my left ankle is completely healed and strong now, and I expect this right one to be just as successful, but it's a very long recovery time. If all goes well it's about 6 weeks non weight bearing, then two or three more months in the big boot with crutches as needed, and then PT starts, which I am really looking forward to. (In a few days I am going to start some yoga that I found online that is specifically for people wearing a cast!) The only thing I am dreading about PT is the Graston technique of breaking down scar tissue, which is very effective but very painful and is done twice a week for about two months. AUGH. But the rest - really looking forward to it.

I have some pain pills and you're right, they do help me sleep and plus, I think when our body is trying to heal itself, we want and need more naps! Love nap time.

My friends and neighbors have been really sweet and helpful so far - I even had some friends in Belgium send me a package of several pieces of antique, hand knotted Belgian lace, including a beautiful runner for the top of my piano! Wow, that brightened my day. It's hard for me to ask for help from friends and neighbors but I guess that is my pride - and that can always use some work! They are more than willing to help me with little errands - I just have to swallow my pride and ask.

I am feeling a little scared about being here by myself for three weeks - not because I can't stand to be alone, because I can, but because I KNOW MYSELF and know that I am prone to take risks in the name of "strength and independence." I am afraid I will hurt myself more than I am afraid of being alone, if that makes sense. I do like to read and I love Netflix, and I have several good friends who have already put me in their calendar to come by and visit and one of them is even bringing me some art supplies so that I can make cards to send to elderly people and shut ins (wait...I'm a shut in! LOL). I am looking forward to that project because it's something that I can do FOR OTHERS which will be a refreshing change of pace after being forced to be so self centered and dependent on others!

Thank you for sharing your story and your advice! All these thoughtful posts really do help.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Gather all the pre-digital camera photographs in the house, throw away the ones that mean nothing, and either label the rest and place them in albums or scan them into your computer.

Work on your family tree.

Read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:10 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I chipped a bone in my ankle and thought it was a bad sprain so I wrapped it up and went to work for a week. The pain wasn't too bad until I pushed the clutch in on my car. I had an x-ray done after it was still swollen and purple after a week and it was indeed broken. I refused a hard cast opting for an air cast. I was supposed to use crutches for 6 weeks but that only lasted a couple of days. I was off work for 6 weeks but had to wear the air cast for 6 months because I just couldn't sit still long enough for it to heal. I swear health care workers are the most non-compliant and difficult patients. I feel sorry for you. The boredom about drove me insane. That and my husband constantly yelling at me to get off my foot.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
This is a good idea.

Also Firethorn and Wildfire, by Sarah Micklem. And if you read fast and you're still bored, books by Laurel K Hamilton are pretty good if you don't mind werewolf and vampire stuff and lots of sex.

Knitting or crochet might be good, or starting a quilt with paper-piecing.

If you want some exercise, you can look for chair workouts on youtube, and just do the parts you're able to do for now.

You could make a batch of salt clay and make ornaments out of it.

Play games on Facebook.

I had to move from one apartment to another while I had a broken leg. That was really not fun. So when you're bored, you can be glad you're not having to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness