Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 AM

452 posts, read 706,207 times

Advertisements

My grandmother had a double knee replacement at 92...at 104 she's doing very well and even manages to get on the back of my bike from time to time. I suppose it depends on the health of the person at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,825,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If your mom is mentally competent and otherwise in sound condition ( which a surgeon and anesthesiologist would take into consideration...no doctor wants a patient to die on them) then remember, she's the one that suffers the lack of mobility and pain and is the one to decide.
You and your siblings have no right to condemn her to a life as an invalid by "convincing' her not to IF she prefers to take the chance.
Just to let you know, my mom had very extensive abdominal surgery at 89 , did well and lived on and active to the age of 96.
I don't want to condemn my mother to anything. I want to be assured she will be better off as a result of the surgery, and not worse.

My main concern is how she will function after general anesthesia. Post-operative cognitive dysfunction is a real possibility in her age group, and I already can see evidence confusion if she takes pain meds.

She is a widow, but living on her own with a good social life. Should she not be capable of playing mah jong or taking part in her book club, etc, that will likely hasten her downward spiral more so than the physical limitations.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,050,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't want to condemn my mother to anything. I want to be assured she will be better off as a result of the surgery, and not worse.

My main concern is how she will function after general anesthesia. Post-operative cognitive dysfunction is a real possibility in her age group, and I already can see evidence confusion if she takes pain meds.

She is a widow, but living on her own with a good social life. Should she not be capable of playing mah jong or taking part in her book club, etc, that will likely hasten her downward spiral more so than the physical limitations.
I certainly cannot guarantee she will not be affected but can only offer our experience to give you some hope that if she does elect to have it done, it doesn't always result in negative after affects.
Also, if the confusion wears off once the pain meds have, so might any after the anesthesia does ( if there is any)
Best of luck to her ....and you...in whichever decisions is made.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,713,168 times
In the nearly nine years I've worked at my LTACH I've never seen anyone come in because of a knee surgery. Lots of cardiac and cancer patients but never from anything as routine as a knee surgery. That doesn't mean things can't go wrong, but chances are your mother will be fine in a couple of months. If she lives to be 97 it would be worth it. My husbands grandmother fell and broke her hip at around 92, had surgery and lived until 96. She was a tough old bird.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:57 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,375,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I forgot to mention that one of the things I believe caused my father problems was the anesthesia and new pain meds on top of pain meds he had taken before the surgery.

If at all possible, my advice would be not to take any pain meds prior to surgery should she decide to go ahead with it.

I think if he had gone into surgery clean with anesthesia and pain meds administered after as needed he would have fared much better. He did take some pain meds after but I don't recall his pain being excruciating or unmanageable. The dose required was not enough that it made him fuzzy mentally.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM

313 posts, read 494,908 times
I guess I only have anecdotal evidence for you: My grandfather is now 91 years old. When he was 87 doctors said he needed hip replacement if he wanted to walk for more years. He had actually had one hip and one knee on the same side repaired. It was simple joint issues from old age.

At 89 he got an infection in his foot that spread quickly (simply because of his advanced age, he has no other illnesses or medical issues) and they had to amputate his leg below the knee. He will never walk again.

Now, I have a friend who is 102 years old. She lives close to my grandpa and they're friends. She walks around and has a mind sharp as a tack and hasn't gotten any infections. It's luck of the draw.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,648,079 times
Has anyone here had a knee or hip replacement done with regional instead of general anesthesia? This would be my choice for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness