Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times

Advertisements

Why then does both France & Spain (2 major wine drinking countries, have the 2nd & 3rd least strokes behind only Switzerland in 1st place for lowest amount of strokes?) I'm lost here & the study which came out last wk from U. of E. Finland, I think, shows a 3-fold increase in drinkers (of any type booze) having ANY amount of alcohol -- on MORE than just 2 days/wk total.

Thus, it really said "2.5 days/wk of drinking increases stroke by 3-fold". This flies in the face of tons of studies refuting this including those of the French Paradox to lower cardiovascular risks, via 2 drinks wine per day, etc. I think questionnaires like the, "More than a few eggs per wk causes/ups Diabetes", that came out a few yrs ago have so much margin error as folks under/over-estimate intakes, etc.

Plus some smoke or are obese, eat wrong, don't exercise, etc. The variables can't be eval'd well on a self-filled out sheet of questions. But I'm only trying to make sense & see how valid this is, as obviously it warrants/needs further evals to qualify/quantify it.

It now seems not only volume, such as binging, but frequency of ANY (even a small glass of vino??) adds to this risk -- if done more than 2.5 days TOTAL in 7 day period. Anyone care to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 PM

Hasn't anyone thought of this study as a concern, or dismissed it due to confounding variables? I'm sure someone here has some opinion re: this, no? Thanks as I'm trying to ascertain this, yet have no one willing to help analyze/discuss.

Are there any physicians on here that have any scientific rationale/basis to form a cogent argument one way or another? My older roommate seems to think this has zero merit but I'm not as quick to dismiss, as I enjoy (actually, love -- too much ) my nightly vino -- yet am perplexed as to where/how to proceed from here.

I'm stalled between a belief, "where there's smoke there's fire," but equally as torn as this is maybe simply carte' blanche bogus -- & to be disregarded -- til further studies advise/backup this obviously somewhat erroneus study that seems to have very weak protocol setup & thus very questionable results.

Ok, now that I've made a solilouqy out of this topic please bear w/ me & accept my apologies, but I do want some closure on the validity or invalidity of this supposed "scientific-based" study.

Thanks folks.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
I don't know - on the one hand, I'm sitting here with my glass of vino wondering whether I should finish it or NOT - and, on the other hand, sometimes a 'study' shows one thing - we all panic and act accordingly, then later, alas, it's all for not - due to yet another study.

Ok, so I'll have a little more vino while I await your link to the study.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 AM

I don't know how to link ScienceDaily's website article from few days ago, thus can someone assist? If you find it, please link it if poss. Thx

Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
I think I found it....
Drinking alcohol several times a week increases risk of stroke mortality -- ScienceDaily

Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Correct! Perfect! Thanks!

Now can anyone care to elaborate on it?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Although its supposedly any type of booze, middle-aged men in Eastern Finland are much more likely to be consuming beer and vodka than wine so I think that might have something to do with it considering wine's beneficial properties.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Although its supposedly any type of booze, middle-aged men in Eastern Finland are much more likely to be consuming beer and vodka than wine so I think that might have something to do with it considering wine's beneficial properties.
Hey I'll go along w/ that!

I ONLY drink red wine -- daily though -- but still I guess better than beer or hard stuff like vodka, whiskey, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness